A graduate of Columbia University, I obtained my Bachelor’s of Science in Mechanical Engineering with a focus on aeronautics. After college I moved to Spain to work as a consultant for McKinsey and Co. where most of my efforts were focused on banking projects specializing in optimizing risk allocation. After 3 years at McKinsey I moved to
A graduate of Columbia University, I obtained my Bachelor’s of Science in Mechanical Engineering with a focus on aeronautics. After college I moved to Spain to work as a consultant for McKinsey and Co. where most of my efforts were focused on banking projects specializing in optimizing risk allocation. After 3 years at McKinsey I moved to San Francisco in pursuit of a more entrepreneurial work experience. Since late 2014, I began to work for Justin Kan, a serial entrepreneur who sold his largest company in August 2014 to Amazon for $970mn (twitch.tv), and lead the due diligence for all of his investments and entrepreneurial endeavors. In short, I’ve found a way to implement my consultant background to a start-up context.
Business Analyst @ I am the personal business analyst for Justin Kan. Justin has started several startups including: Kiko Calendars (exit via Ebay in 2006), Justin.tv, Socialcam (exit to Autodesk for $60mn in 2012), Twitch.tv (exit to amazon for $970mn in August 2014), Exec (exit to handy book in January 2014). Justin is now a fulltime partner at startup accelerator Y combinator, an active angel investor and recently founder of the electronic music discovery website, thedrop.club.
My work with Justin generally falls into 3 categories:
1. Spearheading the due-diligence process for new investment opportunities and helping to evaluate all possible angel investments. This involves meeting with founders, assessing business plans, the company vision, the ability to execute the idea, and evaluating the team.
2. Co-leading growth and business development for The Drop by:
● Building relationships with potential partners and finding mutually beneficial ways to work together to achieve key target metrics
● Analyzing metrics to prioritize growth channels, and execute on user acquisition strategies
● Prioritizing new feature development based on usage, customer interviews, and potential partnerships
● Managing all social media (Twitter, Soundcloud, Facebook) platforms
3. Finally I launch and test theories for new start-ups that we think could be promising. This involves evaluating the market, including launching surveys, websites and testing user conversion. From November 2014 to Present (1 year 2 months) San Francisco Bay AreaSenior Business Analyst @ • Led a client team of 7 change agents in the implementation of as many initiatives to improve claims management by reducing costs, optimizing processes and improving the client experience for a home insurance company leading to a yearly reduction of 8 Mn € in operational costs.
• Worked on several projects in banking, focusing on Risk. Optimized the allocation of RWA´s in a corporate bank, and set up special units for the management of troubled assets for two different banks in Greece and Spain, to manage large portions of the bank’s portfolio (~5 Bn € in one instance).
• Selected as an expert to help develop a strategy and management plan for a major Greek bank to help control rising NPLs and plan to return to pre-crisis business-as-usual.
• Participated in several projects of corporate strategy to decide the trajectory of the client for the next several years in various sectors including telecommunications, and a multi-industry holding company.
• Designed and carried out complex analyses to support key CXO level decisions for the strategy of the client.
• Led discussions and presentations with top executives in Spain, Portugal and Greece, both in English and Spanish. From September 2011 to July 2014 (2 years 11 months) Analista @ From 2012 to 2012 (less than a year) Analista @ From 2012 to 2012 (less than a year)
Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Mechanical Engineering @ Columbia University in the City of New York From 2007 to 2011 Saint Pauls school Nicholas Cortes is skilled in: Management Consulting, Strategy, Business Strategy, Management, Financial Modeling, Consultoría, Análisis de datos, Espíritu empresarial, Microsoft Office, Análisis de negocio, Empresas de nueva creación, Consultoría estratégica, Desarrollo empresarial, Gestión de proyectos, Análisis financiero, Consulting
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension