BSEE, Power Engineering @
Illinois Institute of Technology
Providing clients with experienced project lead electrical engineering or field electrical engineering support. With the flexibility of working onsite domestically or internationally on short or long term assignments, as required. Focused on applying engineering knowledge & established processes in the execution of deliverables where versatility and expertise in a broad array of cost effective engineering solutions for
Providing clients with experienced project lead electrical engineering or field electrical engineering support. With the flexibility of working onsite domestically or internationally on short or long term assignments, as required. Focused on applying engineering knowledge & established processes in the execution of deliverables where versatility and expertise in a broad array of cost effective engineering solutions for utility, petrochemical, industrial, commercial, & governmental clients can be applied.
Team and detail oriented, committed to professionalism at all levels from conceptual scope, estimation, scheduling, project coordination, detailed design development, commissioning & project closeout.
Core Competencies: Project Electrical lead, Power systems analysis & distribution system design.
Industries Served: Utility, industrial, petrochemical, institutional, governmental, and commercial clients.
Specialties: Engineering solutions for project coordination, MTO and electrical and I&C system estimation, power system studies, executive reports, design criteria basis and specification development, in the field of power distribution systems.
Project Electrical Engineer @ Provided Project Electrical Engineering functions in office and onsite for the FHR-Corpus Christi, Koch Refinery (EDCP). Conducted field surveys, calculations, and design tasks. Interfaced with plant engineering, design, and project management in the production of deliverables.
• Demolition report & design package for North Rack modification work.
• Electrical and I&C MTO & estimate package with summary executive total.
• Loadlist and cable table: Sub 3, FGRU I/O MCC, and Sub 25.
• LOTOX PDC cable tray design support. From 2014 to Present (1 year) Houston, Texas AreaProject Lead Electrical Engineer @ Performed project lead electrical engineering duties at Gibbons Creek Steam Electric Station in the execution of project management, field engineering, and design in the changeout of low voltage Motor Control Center (MCC) units. Interfaced with plant management, contractors, and vendors in the execution of deliverables. Project management activities included management of projects from staging to closeout, scheduling, project status reporting, procurement, and project oversight. Engineering responsibilities included fulfillment of electrical and I&C design requirements, field surveys, revision of drawings, support of multi-discipline design team, and execution of deliverables.
• Executed design packages for 480V Motor Control Center’s 1EA and 1KA with associated equipment. Specified MCC units along with dry type transformers, panelboard, and associated wiring and peripheral equipment. Authored installation specification for entire package. Marked up drawing packages for design and installation. From 2014 to 2014 (less than a year) Project Lead Electrical Engineer @ Served as project electrical lead in the execution of project management, field engineering, and design tasks for various outage and non-outage related projects. Interfaced with plant management, construction management, contractors, and vendors in the execution of multiple simultaneous deliverables. Project management activities included management of projects from staging to closeout, scheduling, estimation, definition of budgetary constraints, financial projections, project status and risk analysis reporting, procurement, and project oversight. Performed field surveys for electrical, I&C, mechanical, and civil requirements. Engineering responsibilities included fulfillment of electrical and I&C design requirements, revision of drawings, support of multi-discipline design team, and execution of deliverables.
• Designed fusing protection within bus duct for arc flash mitigation of plant generator exciters.
• Executed design packages for arc flash mitigation projects on sitewide 480V switchgear to reduce to protection category 2 or less utilizing GE Entelliguard trip units and RELT switches.
• Performed electrical and I&C design packages to implement RO Trailer & CO2 tank to increase water supply and CO2 capacity of plant. Packages included MCC modifications, Arc Flash calculations and labeling, equipment sizing & location, estimation, material procurement, scheduling, and resource requirements deliverables.
• Executed electrical and I&C design packages for multiple sump pump and water cannon pump strainer projects. The packages included estimation, material procurement, and scheduling deliverables. Oversaw final implementation of electrical & mechanical design through installation of equipment.
• Executed sitewide Conveyor Roller Guarding packages. Project tasks included estimation, material procurement, scheduling, and executing deliverables. Oversaw final implementation design through installation of equipment. From 2012 to 2013 (1 year) Electrical Engineer @ Project electrical engineer for multiple projects in the petro-chemical industry involving development of single line diagrams, elevation details, and equipment location. Power system studies & calculations for various projects and plant upgrades. Various design engineering tasks for projects as needed.
• Designed Chevron Refinery Wharf grounding grid.
• Responsible for Stennis Space Center electrical system upgrades to incorporate new testing platform for Rolls Royce jet engines.
• ETAP calculations involving Arc Flash, fault analysis, and selective coordination for UOP.
• Extensive cost estimation for various projects utilizing P&IDs, motor & load lists, single lines, & plans.
• Onsite walkdowns for lighting, cathodic protection, grounding, lightning mitigation, heat trace, and equipment upgrade & installation.
• Development & utilization of load list for sizing of main power transformers, substations, MCCs, cable, MCC bucket, breakers, fuses, & starters, aux transformers & panels, for detailed design of electrical distribution system. From 2011 to 2012 (1 year) Project Electrical Engineer @ Provided Senior Electrical Design Engineering functions onsite at various locations. Development and design of LES Nuclear Enrichment Facility through Field Walkdowns, Engineering Change Requests (ECRs), Design Change Requests (DCRs), Condition Reports (CRs), Non-Conformance Reports (NCRs), and modification packages. Design tasks included sizing, location, and routing of panel, switchgear, transformer, VFDs, cable, raceway, breakers, disconnect switches, junction & pull boxes. Extensive utilization of the NEC and IEEE Standards.
• Organized and led weekly design engineering / contractor meetings.
• Led design group in conformance of IEC standardized design to NFPA 70 & IEEE requirements.
• Developed system power studies budget and supervised system power study implementation.
• Substantially re-wrote site grounding specification and designed site ground systems.
• Made & implemented extensive cost saving recommendations for cable, transformer, motor, and VFD installations.
• Performed sitewide calculations for ampacity, voltage drop, harmonics, short circuit bracing, & grounding
• Conformed & revised sitewide specifications.
• Led drafting group & Trained Employees. From 2009 to 2011 (2 years) Senior Systems Consulting Engineer @ Provided engineering expertise in the development of the Medium voltage power distribution system of the ThyssenKrupp Carbon & Stainless Steel Works. Primary responsibilities included the development of the System Power Studies and Single Line Diagrams. Power studies included the short circuit, load flow, harmonic analysis, selective overcurrent coordination, arc flash, device evaluation, heat load, 125VDC system, and system interlocking analysis. Provided system protective relaying design.
Additional responsibilities included authoring specifications for the 125VDC battery and charger systems and harmonic filters, and system bill of material. Contributed to the development of the design guideline. Provided outdoor switchyard aluminum bus sizing calculation for design construction firm. Reviewed switchgear drawings, 125VDC system, and harmonic filter drawings for completeness and accuracy.
• Planned and led project meetings both onsite and in the home office.
• Conducted scheduling, cost analysis, provided and implemented cost savings recommendations.
• Interfaced with both onsite and utility personnel.
• Led design group & Trained Employees. From 2008 to 2009 (1 year) Lead Electrical Engineer @ Served as Lead Electrical Engineer for Clark 5-8 LEC Project. Performed field investigations for demo and installation work. Authored electrical scope & specifications, produced drawings, managed designers, sized & procured equipment, cabling, and conduit. Handled project electrical documentation and participated in project meetings.
Responsible for electrical studies & calculations underlying the design of the Clark Peakers Project. Studies included: system short circuit, load flow, grounding analysis, cable sizing with derating (due to voltage drop, ambient & duct bank heating), conduit, duct bank, & cable tray sizing, MCC, motor starter & disconnect switch sizing.
• Designed ground grid and provided grounding bill of material with all accessories.
• Provided balanced load list and one-line design.
• Reviewed & marked up vendor MCC drawings.
• Produced various TCC curves for the largest motor and non-motor loads.
• Designed logical orientation of cabling from SST’s through PDC and into yard.
• Provided extensive 3 winding impedance calculation for short circuit analysis of Siemens GSU’s From 2007 to 2008 (1 year) Electrical Engineer @ Primary responsibilities included Collector System design, implementation, and field engineering support for the Prince Windfarm projects. This work involved critical efforts concerning the design of trenches, cabling, system grounding, site layout, equipment procurement, and production of drawings for the collector system and Collector-substation interface; calculations such as insulation coordination (system surge & lightning protection), voltage drop, loading, short circuit, load flow, conduit fill & sizing, cable and breaker sizing; scheduling procurement efforts; design of yard lighting for the collector-substation and tie-point substation. International work was performed within the guidelines of the Ontario Electrical Safety Code (OESC). Domestic work was performed within the guidelines of NFPA 70, the National Electric Code (NEC).
Additional accomplishments include:
• Modeled collector system buses in PSAF for short circuit and load flow analysis of Prince II.
• Designed & Procured MET Tower Power System for Prince Windfarms.
• Authored specifications for the carrier set, line tuner & CCVT, and line trap for the Zapata ring bus.
• Provided CT saturation calculation utilizing Excel & Mathcad for Wolverine Creek Windfarm.
• Provided grounding specification for the Wolverine Creek Windfarm.
• Provided QA/QC engineering support of 240kV Areva Breaker stands for Prince Substation.
• Designed and procured Annunciator panel with full accessories for Wolverine Creek O&M Building.
• Furnished substation battery & charger size calculation utilizing IEEE format.
• Supported engineering group with design and procurement duties for various projects.
• Developed and maintained document management system. From 2005 to 2006 (1 year) Lead Electrical Engineer @ • Responsible for design of Cast House electrical systems for the US Steel No. 13 Reline. Authored specification for overhead electric crane. Performed field walk-downs for equipment retrofit.
• Designed grounding system for Crown-ESA pre-fabricated building and transformer set. From 2005 to 2005 (less than a year) Electrical Engineer 2 @ • Performed inductive coordination study of high energy corridor for Reno Main Line to mitigate induced and radiated energy on both steady state and faulted conditions. Performed test to verify both the relative magnetic permeability and internal impedance settings of proprietary analysis software. Led procurement efforts and designed systems utilizing creative and unorthodox approaches in development and identification of mitigation method. Authored technical report outlining problems and solutions.
• Extensive use of Excel macro’s to calculate, organize, and analyze data to generate plots revealing voltage, current, surface-potential, and internal impedance. Identified electrically induced hot-spots, provided mitigation solutions, and authored report of Kinder-Morgan Arizona Public Service project. From December 2003 to July 2004 (8 months) Field Electrical Engineer @ • Inspected various sites for photometric output of parking lot lights along with their respective poles, accessories, fixtures, method of control, and electrical services. Work involved extensive field work revising drawings, interstate travel, and frequent interface with government officials and site personnel. From 2004 to 2004 (less than a year) Lead Electrical Engineer Consultant @ • Headed team of engineers in testing of differential pressure, static pressure, temperature, and humidity transmitter control systems. Prepared database for control system test point results. Made testing efficiency improvement recommendations. Trained in cGMP and FDA requirements. From 2003 to 2003 (less than a year) Staff Electrical Engineer @ • Performed substation modifications involving creation of wiring & schematic diagrams, design of new & retrofit of existing panels. Retrofit work involved upgrading OCB’s with SF6 breakers, Westinghouse electromechanical relays with Schweitzer microprocessor based relays (SEL-321, SEL-279, SEL-311C), carrier set with Pulsar TC-10B, and added Solid-State GE-SBC. Participated in scheduling, planning, and cost analysis.
• Field assignment at Rocky Run and Whiting Substations. From 2002 to 2003 (1 year) Electrical Design Engineer 2 @ • EPC project ownership responsibilities for the HRSG, auxiliary boilers, and the water treatment system. Developed the system one-line diagram and the electrical equipment load & purchasing list for Columbia and Riverside Energy Centers.
• Utilized S&L, IEEE, NEC, and NEMA for development of Master Diagrams (Design Sheets) and specifications for SCR’s, motors (4 kV & 460 V), VFD’s, transformers (Main power, GSU, auxiliary, & dry type), reactor’s, GCB’s, 13.8kV & 4.16kV switchgear, 480V SUS’s, 480V MCC’s, panelboard, cathodic protection systems,125VDC battery & chargers, and UPS’s for Gibson and various other power stations.
• Developed tables which differentiated IEEE, NEC, and ICEA ampacity values in various environments, temperatures, voltages, and loading factors.
• Performed technical bid evaluations for design, scope, and budget of various OEM’s. Developed system one-line diagram, battery system, DCS, cable & iso-phase bus duct, RTD, and lighting for Bighorn and Arrow Canyon Energy Centers.
• Performed exhaustive study to calculate impedance of 2000 KCM cable utilizing Neher & McGrath paper for short circuit analysis of 4.16kV buses to add reactor feed pump at Dresden Nuclear Plant.
• Analyzed various interconnected systems for the potential of spurious operations due to fire cable damage. Verified system load control and performed shutdown coordination calculations for Byron and Braidwood Nuclear Plants.
• Performed wiring analysis, voltage drop and loading calculation for the “Control Room Instrumentation Distribution” (CRID) system needed for the start-up of D.C. Cook Nuclear Plant.
• Designed instrumentation for Boronometer modification onsite at Davis-Besse Nuclear Plant utilizing extensive mathematical analysis. From 1999 to 2002 (3 years) Design Engineer (Coop) @ • Designed emergency standby, parallel to utility, and prime power systems for various facilities. Prepared wiring, schematic, panel layout, and one & three line diagram drawings. Provided manufacturing, client, and material procurement support. Produced submittal, bill of material, and drawings from specification. Familiar with ladder logic diagrams; Siemens, GE-Fanuc, & Allen Bradley PLC’s, Potter-Brumfield relays, HMI, grounding, metering, PT’s & CT’s.
• Managed generator breaker & Parallel Switchgear Standards for ISO-9000. Trained employees. From 1997 to 1999 (2 years)
BSEE, ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING @ Illinois Institute of Technology From 1996 to 1999 BSEE, Power Engineering @ Illinois Institute of Technology From 1996 to 1999 Nicholas Christakes is skilled in: Electrical Engineering, Power Distribution, Power Systems, Power Plants, Engineering, Switchgear, Electricity, Transformer, EPC, Substation, Energy, Generators, Relays, Factory, Electric Power, Grounding, Arc Flash, ETAP
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension