VP of Business Development - Defense Programs @ Lucix Corporation
Highly qualified Executive and Senior Manager with over 25 years experience in product development, product management and organizational growth in technology-based companies. Results-focused and effective leader with superior integrity, commitment, and proven ability to manage leading-edge technology development organizations and teams. Excellent record of turning around troubled programs and functional organizations. Recognized and respected by stakeholders as
Highly qualified Executive and Senior Manager with over 25 years experience in product development, product management and organizational growth in technology-based companies. Results-focused and effective leader with superior integrity, commitment, and proven ability to manage leading-edge technology development organizations and teams. Excellent record of turning around troubled programs and functional organizations. Recognized and respected by stakeholders as effective, committed, passionate, creative and successful.
Neal Nicholson’s unique value represents decades of continuous dedication to performance, education, success and personal growth. Beginning his career in RF/Microwave Design and Development Engineering, and continuously evolving to the level of Executive Management, Neal’s hands-on methods have resulted in a comprehensive understanding of the technical, financial, operational and tactical aspects of execution in the modern, high-technology workplace.
Specialties:• Group Leadership
• P&L Responsibility
• Business Development
• Operations Management/Turn-Around Management
• Engineering Management
• Program Management
• Capture/Proposal Management
• Team Building and Leading/Culture Change
• Earned Value Management
• Product Development
• Exceptional Computer Skills
• Security Clearance: Secret
Sr. Program Manager @ From January 2013 to Present (2 years 10 months) VP of Business Development - Defense Programs @ Lucix Corporation is a provider of space-borne RF components and integrated microwave assemblies. In 2011, Lucix investigated growth into the military/defense business sector.
• Established strategic and tactical plans for penetration into the military/defense business sector
• Updated internal procedures and tools appropriate for capturing and executing upon defense program business From November 2011 to August 2012 (10 months) Camarillo, CADirector of Business Development and Product Development @ L-3 Communications Narda Microwave is a respected provider of RF/Microwave components, assemblies and subsystems for the Defense, Space and Commercial industries. Launching a strategic initiative to reverse the market capture erosion in select product areas as well as strengthen Narda Microwave’s position in other marketplaces, Neal was hired to restructure the Business Development, Sales & Marketing and Independent Research and Development Departments.
• Increased bookings by >20% cumulative annualized growth for three consecutive years
• Open and staff an Offsite Technology Center in San Diego as the centralized location for predominantly all IR&D & BD activities
• Positioned the company for securing long-term supply on multi-decade defense programs
• Initiate, build and foster strong relationships with key personnel at targeted prime contractors at all levels from design engineering and the program management office to senior level executive management
• Restructure and staff the BD & S&M departments, functions and processes From January 2008 to November 2011 (3 years 11 months) San Diego, CAVP of Technology and Development/VP of Operations @ SeaSpace Corporation is a provider of satellite ground stations and processing software for remote sensing applications. SeaSpace antenna and software systems are used worldwide for reception and processing of meteorological, oceanographic and environmental remote sensing satellites. Neal was recruited by the company to lead the development of tracking antenna systems and implement program management/product development processes and procedures.
• Managed Development Group comprised of software, hardware/mechanical and RF/microwave/electrical engineers supporting the TeraScan Software Suite and AXYOM Satellite Tracking Antenna product line
• Largely responsible for the capture of key contracts pivotal in the success of the Antenna Division start-up
• Successful development of 1-3.5m and 3-6m-class Satellite Tracking Antenna Systems (L, S, X & Ka-Band)
• Provide Project Engineering and Systems Engineering functions during “lean” start-up period From June 2004 to May 2007 (3 years) San DIego, CASr. Program Manager @ L-3 Communications Telemetry-West is a provider of custom flight hardware and systems for missile telemetry/flight termination and spacecraft telemetry, tracking and control (TT&C), as well as tactical intelligence receivers, terrestrial HF/microwave radios and unmanned vehicle communication/data links. Having successfully demonstrated abilities in turning around distressed programs and preparing winning proposals at L-3 EMP Systems; Neal was recruited and relocated by L-3 Telemetry West.
• Turned around interrelated programs for telemetry processing systems by improving scope definition and managing development efforts resulting in mitigation of cost overruns
• Lead capture efforts and negotiations on multiple multi-million dollar contracts
• Lead and participated in multiple process improvement teams to increase effectiveness and efficiency of program management, proposal management and financial reporting processes
L-3 Communications EMP Systems designed and manufactured Tracking Antenna Systems for commercial and military Satellite Telemetry/Remote Sensing. Neal joined EMP Systems as a consultant and after leading a successful capture effort, joined the L-3 management team as an employee to assist in successfully turning around the distressed company. In June 2003, the L-3 Communications Corporation elected to merge EMP Systems with ESSCO in to Massachusetts.
• Evolved Program Management processes and procedures
• Generated the proposal and managed the capture of “Eagle Vision V” program (a true “must win”), Mobile Tracking Antenna System capable of processing data from 10 different Remote Sensing and Observation satellites
• Managed the design and development of “Eagle Vision V” through CDR (the point of EMP/ESSCO consolidation)
• Resolved open programmatic and technical issues on three multi-million dollar, highly distressed programs
• Corrected technical deficiencies and resolved qualification testing issues on Flight Termination System program From March 2002 to June 2004 (2 years 4 months) San Diego, CABusiness and Engineering Consultant @ Synergetix provided Management, Engineering and Technical Services to companies within the commercial, military and space-borne electronics and communications industries in the following areas:
• Business Development
• Program Management
• Product Design and Development
• Process Improvement
• Prototyping and Transition to Production
• Due Diligence Technical Advisor
• Analysis and Design Review Support
Synergetix was a successful venture into the business and technology consulting arena for Neal Nicholson. Providing product development, technology transfer and business development services, with ownership and dedication unique in the consulting industry, resulted in a superior reputation for cost-effective and timely results for numerous customers. From January 2001 to September 2003 (2 years 9 months) Greater Los Angeles AreaDirector of Operations @ Moseley Associates, Inc. designs and manufactures RF and microwave transmission systems for narrowband and broadband (16kbps-32Mbps) data communications.
Moseley Associates, Inc. recruited Neal to join the company with the title of Special Assistant to the President due to his diverse and extensive knowledge of communications electronics product realization and manufacturing. After a short period, Neal was given the title and additional duties of Director of Operations.
• Increased throughput capability on NX-64 Wideband Data FSK Transceiver from 6/month to >80/month without the need for additional equipment or personnel
• Significantly reduced manufacturing cost and improved the performance on NX-E1 Broadband QAM Transceiver
• Developed Product Configuration application to allow accurate configuration of diverse combinations of hardware and features allowing sales and contract personnel to propose solutions without engineering involvement From December 1999 to January 2001 (1 year 2 months) Goleta, CADirector of Engineering @ Microwave Communications Corporation (MCC) is a designer and manufacturer of passive microwave components. Acquisition of P&H Laboratories in Simi Valley, CA added complementary core competencies and products to the existing capabilities. The majority of the products are high-reliability, space-borne components for both military and commercial applications. Other products include components for the Cellular and Wireless communications industry.
In addition to managing the engineering department at MCC, Neal personally managed engineering operations of P&H Laboratories for approximately six months after the acquisition. Upon completion of a new start-of-the-art facility, which supported operations from CNC machine shop to clean room to environmental laboratory, Neal heavily supported the migration and consolidation of the two companies. With subordinates ranging from skill workers to engineers and scientists with doctorate degrees, dozens of RF/Microwave components were developed and deployed for applications ranging from cryogenic research to space-borne applications.
• Instituted Program Management processes and responsibility into Project Engineering functions resulting in expanded visibility, improved performance to schedules and increased profitability
• Performed due diligence on technical and contractual elements of the P&H Laboratories acquisition
• Managed engineering operations of P&H Laboratories driving increased sales by 20% and profitability by 60% in the first 6 months From November 1997 to December 1999 (2 years 2 months) Greater Los Angeles AreaVarious Positions @ 3dbm, Inc. provides RF/Microwave systems and components for the aerospace, defense and commercial industries. Growing from a small research and development company providing unique technology solutions, 3dbm grew to a multi-million dollar subsidiary of a publicly-held company providing commercial equipment for the Wireless and Broadcast industries.
Beginning his career at 3dbm when it was a three-man job shop; Neal was a major force in growing the company into a $35 million business, continually improving his personal skills, education and capabilities to meet the increasing demands of the growing business. Participating in all facets of the business and providing unique dedication; Neal, and the company, benefited extensively providing dozens of custom products and developing two major commercial product lines in preparation of sale of the company to a major California corporation.
• Lead initiative and implementation of a joint venture company in South Korea to provide sales, integration and test, installation and field service for 3dbm’s wireless products in select Pacific Rim countries. Responsibilities included facilities and staff development, technology transfer, and sales and marketing support.
• Managed development and shared design responsibilities for numerous wireless infrastructure products including Microwave and Fiber Optic MicroCells, High-Power Cell Expander, MicroCell Zone Selector and Repeaters.
• Participated in development at various levels (from sole designer to shared design responsibilities) on a wide array of Satellite Ground Equipment including Range Tone Processors, Frequency Converters, Receivers, Modulators, Demodulators and application specific and specialized function equipment.
• Fulfilled Program Management responsibilities on all military programs at the company
• Implemented MIL-I-45208, MIL-Q-9858 and later ISO-9001:1994 as the company and standards evolved From January 1984 to December 1997 (14 years) Greater Los Angeles Area
Aerospace Engineering @ University of Southern California Neal Nicholson is skilled in: Engineering Management, Program Management, Product Development, Business Development, P&L Responsibility, Systems Engineering, Aerospace, Earned Value Management, Security Clearance, Satellite, DoD, Defense, Military, Radar, RF, Cross-functional Team..., Spacecraft, Satellite Communications, Space Systems, Engineering, System Design, Simulations, Electronics, System Architecture, Telecommunications, Manufacturing, Avionics, Proposal Writing, Antennas, Product Management, Testing, Requirements Management, Government Contracting, Sensors, Wireless, Flight Test, Microwave, Systems Design
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension