Natalie is a Mission Systems Engineer at MDA's Robotics and Automation division, working on Canadian space robotics and other space exploration programs. She is on a mission to inspire the next generation of female game-changers to dive head-on into challenge and pursue careers in engineering and tech. Natalie is the 2013 recipient of the University of Calgary
Natalie is a Mission Systems Engineer at MDA's Robotics and Automation division, working on Canadian space robotics and other space exploration programs. She is on a mission to inspire the next generation of female game-changers to dive head-on into challenge and pursue careers in engineering and tech. Natalie is the 2013 recipient of the University of Calgary Graduate of the Last Decade Award and the Northern Lights Award Foundation 2013 Rising Star in aerospace. She was named one of CBC’s 12 young leaders changing Canada and recently chosen as one of 23 visionary women to help shape Canada’s future through A Bold Vision. Canada’s Financial Post describes Natalie as “a vocal advocate for women in technology”. Natalie also joins an elite group of women as one of WXN’s 2014 Top 100 award winners, as one of Forbe’s 30 under 30 2015, and one of Flare magazine's inaugural 30 under 30 in 2015.
Natalie has had extraordinary experiences that have shaped her dreams of becoming an astronaut. Her love of space and aviation led her to obtain a private pilot’s license to fly a single-engine aircraft, as well as build and drive a solar-powered car across North America. She was the first female driver of the University of Calgary’s inaugural solar powered vehicle. She has participated in internships at NASA’s Goddard Spaceflight Center and at NASA’s Ames Research Center. She was featured on the editorial site Women You Should Know as a STEM Rock Star who is revolutionizing how we think about women in tech. Committed to paying it forward by volunteering in the community, Natalie is both a mentor and program adviser for Cybermentor. Natalie is often asked to share her story and is a popular speaker on the topics of leadership, space exploration, and women in technology with National Speakers Bureau.
Mission Systems Engineer @ • Systems engineering for DARPA Tools.
• Project and Systems engineering for Lunar Dust Mitigation Technologies.
• Systems engineering for robotic dexterous tool design for orbital debris mitigation.
• Systems Engineering and Flight Support for the International Space Station (ISS).
• Systems and Operations Engineering for the Next Generation Canadarm (NGC) program.
• Key company resource for performing detailed workspace and trajectory analysis for robotics.
• Mission planning & robotic operator for on-site demos to CSA, NASA, DARPA, SpaceX, etc.
• Requirements development/validation/verification for end-to-end integrated robotic testing.
• Integration and Testing for robotic and space-qualified hardware.
• Graphical User Interface (GUI) concept development focusing on Ecological Interface Design. From January 2010 to Present (6 years) Toronto, Canada AreaSpeaker @ •Popular speaker on the topics of leadership, exploration, and women in technology.
•Key engagements and clients include TEDxToronto, WeDay, Walrus Talks (Experimentation and The Art of Conversation), Health Achieve, DevLearn, FABTECH, AUTO21, WXN’s Cocktail Series and Leadership Summits, Business Events Canada, Enbridge Famous 5 Speaker Series, and Closing Remarks for Chris Hadfield at The Greatest Outdoor Show Above Earth. From 2014 to Present (1 year) Recreational Programs Assistant @ From September 2007 to May 2010 (2 years 9 months) Systems Engineering, SSP @ From July 2009 to September 2009 (3 months) Systems Engineering @ From June 2008 to August 2008 (3 months) Production Engineering Intern @ From May 2005 to August 2006 (1 year 4 months) Project Developer and Instructor @ From May 2004 to August 2004 (4 months)
Master of Science (M.Sc.), Aerospace, Aeronautical and Astronautical/Space Engineering @ University of Toronto From 2007 to 2009 Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.), Mechanical Engineering @ The University of Calgary From 2002 to 2007 International Space University From 2009 to 2009 Wisdom II Mentoring Program @ Women's Executive Network From 2010 to 2010 VFR Pilot's License, Aviation @ Calgary Flying Club From 2006 to 2007
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension