Lead DevOps Engineer - Site Reliability Engineering @ Starbucks
Contractor @ Apex Systems
Sr. Systems Engineer @ Walt Disney Company
Indiana University South Bend
Computer and Systems Engineer possessing a broad but hardened skill set with proficiencies in areas ranging from *Nix system internals (kernel and device support) and automation (Python, Perl, Zsh and Ruby), web development (UX/MVC) to providing cloud infrastructure design, maintenance and operational support for some of the largest enterprise networks in existence, all the way up to
Computer and Systems Engineer possessing a broad but hardened skill set with proficiencies in areas ranging from *Nix system internals (kernel and device support) and automation (Python, Perl, Zsh and Ruby), web development (UX/MVC) to providing cloud infrastructure design, maintenance and operational support for some of the largest enterprise networks in existence, all the way up to ITIL service design, implementation and people management.
My professional experience ranges broadly across the spectrum of technology fields, including business analytics, technical writing and systems engineering. For example, I have gone from troubleshooting dial-up modem PPP connections to successfully launching time-critical Fortune 500 product marketing websites, to supporting and innovating the very technologies which form the foundation of modern, networked computing. Through years of service design and implementation experience, I am generally considered a subject matter expert for a varierty of technologies and a critical voice in development effort planning.
While I have a strong professional background in business-related IT, system administration and application support, I am also a full-time technology hobbyist. I have 21 years of experience, spending to this day much of my time experimenting with new ideas, solutions or lucrative contract-based endeavours.
Outside of my career and hobbyist tech endeavors, I enjoy an active and fulfilling lifestyle through swimming, kayaking, biking, hiking, aviation, political activism, electronics design (avionics) and travel.
IT Service Management, Linux (Internals/Administration/Automation), In-depth AWS Service knowledge and development experience, Application support (Tomcat, JBoss, WebSphere, .NET, ColdFusion, HTML5, Django, Magento, Ruby on Rails, WordPress, etc), Technical Writing, Large scale networking (BGP), OS and App Security, Web Development (Ecmascript, HTML5, CSS3), People Management, Service Delivery
Sr. Systems Engineer @ From November 2015 to Present (2 months) Contractor @ Contracted to Disney via Apex Systems From November 2015 to Present (2 months) Lead Developer @ - Designing and developing Python back-end for application which provides facilities to administrative assistants and manager-types for automating various people-management tasks.
- Currently looking for my next exciting opportunity!
- Personal project to be open sourced this Year! From September 2015 to Present (4 months) Support Engineer IV @ - Inter-organizational, cross-team project management
- Lead project teams
- Design solutions to software and process issues
- Implement solutions to software and process issues (mostly Python, Go and JS(
- Escalation point
- Technical SME (Loadbalancers, DNS, Linux system internals and administration) From April 2015 to September 2015 (6 months) Greater Seattle AreaTechOps Team Lead @ - Team Technical Lead acting as escalation point for technical expertise and decision making (impact mitigation and severity classification).
- Long term planning of ambitious but realistic and obtainable team vision and road map.
- Lead and participate in Agile –based sprints that include major bodies of operational work, critical projects and application development.
- Root cause analysis and remediation of failures varying from complex software failure to human error.
- Develop sound technical solutions to complex company-wide problems.
- Assist management by amplifying and scaling colleagues (finding the right person for the job) and providing SLA management support.
- Delegation and prioritization of work from upper-management to team.
-Linux system automation to often bridge the gap between a long term solution and a short term fix.
- Travel and work hours that allow for around-the-sun collaboration with our team in Europe. From November 2014 to September 2015 (11 months) Greater Seattle AreaTechnical Operations Support Engineer III @ High severity event management, technical operations support, process development, systems engineering and automation.
- Event Manager and central point of contact for triage of large scale technical events for AWS and amazon.com.
- Company-wide front end traffic management including load balancer configuration and individual service consultation for best performance and availability.
- Network and system device support including OSPF, STP, and WDM transit routers as well as a massive XEN virtualization fleet.
- Project management of multiple time-bound deliveries that typically impact the entire organization.
- Cross-organization collaboration to effectively deliver results that impact the entire organization.
- Knowledge depth in bringing together protocols used for delivering content on the web such as DNS, HTTP/HTTPS and providing lower-layer support and analysis (Networking, Transport and Data-link layers).
Specific Technical services:
- Tier one support for essential Amazon services
- Event management for high severity incidents
- Virtual IP creation, modification and troubleshooting (Citrix NetScaler load balancers)
- DNS records management
- XEN fleet troubleshooting
- Code peer reviewing
- Business Intelligence datamining and analysis
- Process development From September 2013 to September 2015 (2 years 1 month) Linux Engineer @ Manage Linux engineering requests working directly with customers; manage and contribute to long term projects, team metrics analysis, automation projects; work with team to produce improvements to new and existing proceses and services.
- Project management and administration
- Worked primarily as sysadmin on on RHEL5 and Debian.
- E-Commerce site administration, migrations and troubleshooting: Magento EE/CE, Shopify
- General CMS troubleshooting: WordPress, Joomla!, Drupal
- LAMP stack improvement and troubleshooting: (Nginx, Varnish, Apache, MySQL, PHP-FPM)
- DNS management (including MX, AAAA)
(Telecommute; I am not in the Beverly Hills area) From May 2013 to September 2013 (5 months) Systems Analyst @ On-site Web Hosting Operations Consultant. Responsible for management and operations for various projects involving web applications with focuses in .NET and J2EE. From December 2011 to April 2013 (1 year 5 months) IT Contractor (Platform/Service Owner & SME) @ Tier 3 Consultant with Web Hosting Operations. From December 2011 to April 2013 (1 year 5 months) Indianapolis, Indiana AreaSystems Engineer @ Server-side, UNIX based support for a report viewing application suite. From November 2007 to December 2011 (4 years 2 months)
Indiana University South Bend From 2003 to 2009 Matthew Pawelski is skilled in: Linux System Administration, Application Support, Technical Writing, Shell Scripting, JBoss EAP, Apache, Information Security, Process Management, IT Management, Enterprise Architecture, Solaris 8/9/10, Tomcat, IT Service Management, Network Load Balancing, Java
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension