Head of Computer Support @ Halcrow, a CH2M Company
Enterprise architect with over 20 years of IT experience. Successfully lead complex projects with small and large teams, covering various aspects of software development, process, and methodology. Extensive experience in object-oriented design and development, Java, J2EE, middleware, and enterprise application architecture and implementation. An effective communicator and leader, committed to providing exceptional value with an agile approach
Enterprise architect with over 20 years of IT experience. Successfully lead complex projects with small and large teams, covering various aspects of software development, process, and methodology. Extensive experience in object-oriented design and development, Java, J2EE, middleware, and enterprise application architecture and implementation. An effective communicator and leader, committed to providing exceptional value with an agile approach to project delivery.
Posses in-depth technical expertise, excellent troubleshooting abilities, and strong analytical skills of heterogeneous environments. Deep knowledge of enterprise architecture at the software and hardware level optimizes the delivery of large-scale applications and circumnavigates common adoption issues. Expertise in the integration and re-use of partner assets and services.
An advocate of open, standards-based systems and open-source solutions, with almost 20 years of Linux implementation experience. First involved with Internet professionally in 1993, and continuously since then. Developed large-scale web applications and SaaS solutions leveraging best-of-breed technologies and cloud resources.
Software Development Manager @ From December 2014 to Present (1 year 1 month) Orange County, California AreaPrincipal Architect @ IT consultant and troubleshooter, specialising in free/open-source solutions From January 2010 to December 2014 (5 years) Orange County, California AreaLead Consultant @ • Linux/open-source expert providing internal consulting services for projects employing these technologies.
• Amazon EC2 expert that established the use of EC2 for client development and testing and to host internal development and delivery tools.
• Implemented company-wide source control repository, defect/CR tracking, project blogs, wikis and instant messaging services.
• Lead the pilot project for Aaxis China, resolving process issues and implementing best practices for onshore/offshore From July 2004 to November 2014 (10 years 5 months) Greater Los Angeles AreaPrincipal Architect @ • Principal architect for Mercury Insurance with overall responsibility for all J2EE internal and customer facing applications and initiatives.
• Introduced and modified facets of Mercury Insurance software development lifecycle. Fortified the company’s RUP efforts and introduced appropriate use of agile methods within RUP iterations.
• Established best practices for source control, defect and enhancement resolution, and coordination with QA resources.
• Defined production and staging security policy, enforcing logical and physical access restrictions to servers, accounts, and services.
• Educated developers and management on the rationale and benefits of restrictions.
• Devised architecture to integrate external-facing applications with next-generation mainframe replacement applications.
• Key engineer for data center migration and redundancy effort. Provided analysis of security weaknesses in original data center and advised on application hardening, physical access, and network-hardening techniques. Devised acceptance criteria for go/no-go milestones and provided on-site application troubleshooting and network analysis/verification services.
• Expert resource for Mercury Insurance adoption of Linux and open-source technologies, aiding the deployment, hardening, and infrastructure efforts surrounding Linux adoption. Provided systems and application-tuning expertise for developers and systems administrators.
• Managed relations and enforced standards for offshore development efforts. Provided technical direction for on-site, near-site, and offshore development. From December 2002 to July 2004 (1 year 8 months) Orange County, California AreaArchitect @ Hired by ATEL Financial Services to develop an on-line leasing application that could securely support multiple vendors. Joined Romel Enterprises when leasing application was spun-off in summer 2001.
• Architected and implemented a web-based financial services web application to provide leasing workflow for customers.
• Adopted dual-vendor strategy to support co-branded and co-located deployment to BEA and IBM application server offerings; application designed to support both hosted SaaS and client-deployment models.
• Developed service-orientated, event-driven architecture leveraging Apache, Resin, and BEA/IBM application servers that easily allowed scaling from a single server to multiple redundant servers.
• Managed internal and outsourced development team and ensured technical fit to overall architecture.
• Directed and validated design decisions and imposed quality standards on the outsourced development team.
• Designed and implemented advanced leasing calculator, allowing lessee and loan officers to fine tune pricing of offerings. Advanced calculator provided multiple pricing options and an integrated root-solver allowing the loan officers to experiment with “what if” scenarios.
• Designed database-driven page-flow engine, capable of accommodating role-driven, dynamic branching and partner branded flows. Administration of page flows through web interface, allowing live reconfiguration and deployment of user interface, by system administrators or designated partner administrators, with no down time.
• Integrated Fair Issac's Liquid Credit secure Web Service to provide an agency-based credit scoring facility in addition to proprietary credit rating algorithm.
• Developed credit-rating engine base on ATEL/Romel specifications that used statistical analysis to derive the potential lessee's credit rating based upon the lease parameters and previous transactions. From July 2000 to November 2002 (2 years 5 months) San Francisco Bay AreaSenior Software Engineer @ • Key engineer in design and implementation of distributed architecture that supported growth from 30,000 to over 2.5 million registered users that often sustained peak loads exceeding 150,000 simultaneous active user sessions.
• Handpicked from engineering team to be engineer #1 of the Site Production Group. Tasked to architect, prototyped and implementd enhancements and new features for Visto.com.
• Engineering liaison between Visto and partners tasked to execute the integration of partner services into a co-branded version of Visto.
• Led SWAT team of cross-functional engineers called upon to take care of special or urgent needs within the product.
• Led B2B Initiative, XML API definition and integration to allow access to applications and member data to B2B and Tier 1 partners.
• Devised authentication API and protocol to allow seamless, secure access to Visto services from partner sites. Integrated partner authentication into Visto security manager.
• Senior member of Engineering Response team, responsible for determining cause of any server failure. Team provided 48-hour continuous monitoring of servers after major releases in order to prevent or troubleshoot service problems.
• Developed service monitor to identify, report, and monitor problems specific to individual applications or service components. Also used to measure performance across service releases and in relation to competitor sites.
• Developed new web applications in Java and C++ for Visto.com, and developed inmemory replication and security manager to share authentication and authorization tokens between Java and C++ processes. From September 1998 to July 2000 (1 year 11 months) San Francisco Bay AreaNetScan Engineer @ • Lead support engineer for two network products: NetScan, a network scan server; and Ascent Storage, an optical storage server.
• Worked closely with ISVs to integrate NetScan with third-party products. Developed code, provided technical assistance, and beta tested products. Most notably, worked with RightFAX and Omtool to integrate NetScan with their Fax Server products.
• Devised and developed software to aid in disaster recovery for files and images stored on optical patters.
• Developed Windows library for the remote configuration of NetScan units using Berkley socket protocols.
• Developed prototype NetScan remote configuration utility in Java.
• Windows NT Server and Novell NetWare specialist for support group, acting as consultant for customers with networking issues, then diagnosing and remedying their problems in relation to Kofax products.
• Provided support for developers working with Kofax ActiveX toolkits ImageControls and StorageControls.
• Successfully undertook Novell NCA certification to certify embedded network products as being Novell NetWare compatible.
• Developed Technical Support Intranet for company support personnel, and authored the public-facing NetScan Technical Support website. From May 1996 to August 1998 (2 years 4 months) Orange County, California AreaHead of Computer Support @ • Senior IT professional within the company, reporting directly to board Director. Overall responsibility for all aspects of computer technology, and for the company’s IT budgets.
• Managed professional support staff in UK and permanent overseas offices, providing support to over 250 employees.
• Developed project accounting software to charge clients accurately for use of employee time and computer resources.
• Registered company domain name and established Internet presence in 1993; devised communications strategy that linked five U.K. and six overseas offices and staff with consultants posted in various worldwide locations.
• Developed Management Information System for board directors to facilitate budget and project management. System recorded details of all projects undertaken and included details on staff involved, related projects, budget tracking, time management, and ROI tools.
• Developed Document Registration System to provide a key compliance component for the company's ISO 9001 Quality Assurance program.
• Devised and authored Emergency Recovery Manual, documenting network structure, server components, and steps necessary to recover data from failed system in case of emergency. Created data recovery and archival strategy.
• Administered heterogeneous wide-area network covering the UK over ISDN, and 56Kbps leased landlines. Network mixed IBM PC compatible and Apple Macintosh computers, running Linux, Novell NetWare, Artisoft LANtastic, and AppleTalk. From September 1991 to January 1996 (4 years 5 months) London, United Kingdom
BSc., Physics @ Imperial College London From 1988 to 1991 Matthew Emes is skilled in: Agile Methodologies, Enterprise Architecture, SDLC, Cloud Computing, Integration, Web Services, Linux, Java, Java Enterprise Edition, SOA, Enterprise Software, Open Source, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Virtualization, C++
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension