As Chief Software Architect at Mercent, Matt Marston provides leadership on the design and development of the Mercent Retail™ SAAS platform. Matt has over 10 years of experience developing software systems powering online retail integrations and solutions. During his tenure at Mercent, he has been involved in the development of nearly every major feature of Mercent Retail™.
As Chief Software Architect at Mercent, Matt Marston provides leadership on the design and development of the Mercent Retail™ SAAS platform. Matt has over 10 years of experience developing software systems powering online retail integrations and solutions. During his tenure at Mercent, he has been involved in the development of nearly every major feature of Mercent Retail™. Matt created the Dynamic Content Expression language (DCX) that is a core technology powering Mercent’s Transformation Services and Content Rules. He has also contributed significantly to establishing engineering best practices and processes at Mercent. His most recent pet project (code name: Space Ghost) is an in-memory structured data cache supporting faceted, full text search (similar to Amazon CloudSearch).
Prior to Mercent's founding, Matt worked as a Software Engineer at Morse Best Innovation and was responsible for integrating many early adopters onto Amazon’s newly launched marketplace platform, start in 2002. The software he developed lead Morse Best to become the first Amazon Certified System Integrator. The Commerce System software Matt developed at Morse Best and the subject matter expertise he gained through Amazon integrations became the foundation of Mercent. Matt received a B.S. in Mathematics and Computer Science from Seattle Pacific University.
Chief Software Architect, Mercent Retail @ From January 2015 to Present (10 months) Greater Seattle AreaChief Software Architect @ As Chief Software Architect at Mercent, Matt Marston provides leadership on the design and development of the Mercent Retail™ SAAS platform. From March 2014 to January 2015 (11 months) Greater Seattle AreaSenior Software Architect @ • Created scalable system for tracking and reporting of referrals and conversions.
• Designed our data warehouse, ETL process, and OLAP cube using SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) and SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS)
• Developed solution for Amazon Classification that involved writing code to parse Boolean expressions and apply Boolean algebra to convert to canonical form.
• Implemented Product Filters using dynamic, set based evaluation of multiple filters using a single database query. Used bitwise cache of filter results.
• Created Dynamic Content Expression (DCX) language and implemented recursive descent parser. • Used DCX for bulk editing in Product Content Manager, Content Rules on outbound Channel Feeds, and Transformation Rules on feed integrations.
• Implemented automated bid management system using rules based on decision trees.
• Created ScriptDB tool for scripting out databases for source control and database provisioning.
• Created SQL Script Runner tool for running scripts and queries against many databases.
• Created Message Queue Explorer for browsing Microsoft Message Queuing (MSMQ) queues and messages.
• Responsible for establishing and communicating programming best practices and for planning adoption of new technologies.
• Provided design direction to all engineering teams and actively reviewed code.
• Set up continuous integration with TeamCity and MSTest using scripts I developed for incrementally building and testing only the affected assemblies.
• Assisted in design and development of other features such as Automated Category Mapping, Competitive Intelligence, Price Optimization, Shipping Rules, and Ad Scheduling. From 2006 to February 2014 (8 years) Greater Seattle AreaSenior Software Engineer @ • Designed Saas platform to replace previous on-premises software system.
• Implemented high availability using Windows Failover Clustering of SQL Server and Mercent’s Windows services. From 2005 to 2005 (less than a year) Greater Seattle AreaSoftware Engineer @ • Integrated retailers into Amazon’s [email protected] third-party seller program.
• Implemented asynchronous, transactional, web-service like communication framework using Microsoft Message Queuing (MSMQ).
• Developed feed processing system to handle large XML and flat-file data feeds with low memory requirements using streaming APIs. From 2002 to 2004 (2 years) Greater Seattle Area
Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Mathematics and Computer Science @ Seattle Pacific University From 1998 to 2002 Matt Marston is skilled in: .NET, Test Driven Development, XML, SQL, Agile Methodologies, PHP, Visual Studio, Programming, XSLT, Software Development, C#, Scrum, Microsoft SQL Server, Web Services, E-commerce, AJAX, Amazon Web Services...
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension