Family Nurse Practitioner @ From October 2014 to Present (1 year 3 months) Adult Nurse Practitioner Student @ • Worked in close collaboration with preceptor Melanie Mollica, APRN in providing comprehensive primary care to 20-25 underserved patients per day including: physical exams, well women care, urgent and sick visits, mental health, and management of chronic medical conditions
Family Nurse Practitioner @ From October 2014 to Present (1 year 3 months) Adult Nurse Practitioner Student @ • Worked in close collaboration with preceptor Melanie Mollica, APRN in providing comprehensive primary care to 20-25 underserved patients per day including: physical exams, well women care, urgent and sick visits, mental health, and management of chronic medical conditions including hypertension, hyperlipidemia, COPD, obesity, and diabetes mellitus.
• Ordered diagnostics, including laboratory tests, x-rays, CT scans, and MRI scans.
• Provided education in English and in Spanish to patients and families.
• Provided gynecologic services and education to women seeking annual exams and episodic care.
• Provided contraception counseling and managed STI testing and treatment regimens.
• Developed skills in pap smear collection. From September 2012 to April 2014 (1 year 8 months) Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Student @ • Worked closely with Jen Trowbridge, PNP to provide primary care and well child care services to newborn through late adolescence aged populations.
• Performed physical exams for sports clearance and school papers.
• Provided contraceptive services and sexual health counseling.
• Documented each encounter thoroughly and based recommendations on AAP guidelines. From September 2013 to December 2013 (4 months) Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Student @ • Worked closely with Jackie Simpson Dunne, CPNP in the clinical management of acutely and critically ill infants, children and adolescents including: assessing, treating, and educating patients and families with diagnoses that include but are not limited to croup, balanitis, pneumonia, asthma, concussions, diabetic complications, constipation, and rashes.
• Assisted with trauma and sexual assault cases.
• Aided in determining the status of each patient for admission to hospital or discharge as needed. From May 2013 to July 2013 (3 months) Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Student @ • Worked in close collaboration with preceptor Nancy Banasiak, PNP to provide comprehensive primary care to underserved patients newborn to college-aged.
• Services included: well child care, urgent and sick visits, mental health, and management of chronic medical conditions including asthma, behavioral concerns, obesity, ADHD, anemia, and migraine headaches.
• Developed collaborative relationships with advanced practice nurses, pediatricians, and staff. From May 2013 to July 2013 (3 months) RN, Clinical Integration Coordinator @ • Yale New Haven Hospital (YNHH) Patient Readmission Assessment: Evaluate key communication points between primary care providers and YNHH by reviewing electronic medical records. Data is collected and analyzed to identify potential areas of weakness driving hospital readmissions.
• Travel to practices within the medical group and perform chart reviews with the goal of assisting clinicians in obtaining NCQA recognition in key areas of management of heart/stroke, women’s health and pediatric asthma. From August 2012 to July 2013 (1 year) Women’s Health Educator @ • Work in collaboration with student volunteers to develop and utilize protocols for the contraceptive and reproductive health needs of patients.
• Counseled patients on pregnancy options, contraceptive options, STI testing, as well as well woman care. Involved in the treatment and follow-up process.
• Aided in the referrals process
• Served as a Spanish language translator From September 2012 to May 2013 (9 months) RN, Research Assistant @ Led the data performance outcomes QA for Boston’s Breathe Easy pilot program, Breathe Easy at Home, an initiative to provide asthma-focused home inspections and follow-up care. Split time between home visits as an asthma education nurse, and IRB research, collecting data for a five-year period on key asthma severity indicators to determine if the program was effective in improving overall health outcomes. From May 2012 to August 2012 (4 months) Research Analyst @ • Researched environmental, social, and governance (ESG) issues, analyzing their impacts on competitiveness, profitability and share price performance across a portfolio of global companies.
• Developed expertise on the health effects of, and remediation efforts for, water contamination and air pollution in industrialized nations, particularly lead and asbestos exposure in factory workers.
• Aided in the conceptualization and developed a set of standardized benchmarks to evaluate a company’s exposure to, and management of, health and safety related issues, now used throughout the research department.
• Promoted to additional role of Controversies Research Manager. Streamlined the research process for a universe of 2400 companies by overhauling search terms, coordinating research teams, and enforcing a strict project delivery schedule for analysts. From August 2008 to July 2011 (3 years)
MSN, Family Practice Nurse/Nursing @ Yale School of Nursing From 2011 to 2014 Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) @ Bates College From 2004 to 2008 Marisela Fermin-Schon, MSN, FNP-C is skilled in: Editing, Research, Qualitative Research, Nursing, Nurse Practitioners, Spanish-speaking, Community Health, IRB, Epic EMR, Sunrise Clinical Manager, Patient Education, BLS, Cpr Certified, Healthcare
Looking for a different
Marisela Fermin-Schon, MSN, FNP-C?
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension