IT Director, Operations & Application Transformation @ GE Oil & Gas
CIO @ Avio Aero
IT Director for O&G Contractual Services @ General Electric
Diploma di Maturità Scientifica @
Liceo Scientifico Statale "Piero Gobetti"
I am an IT executive at General Electric where I lead a global organization defining and executing the IT strategy for one of the largest GE businesses. With more than 15 years of IT experience, I went through diverse roles of growing responsibilities across technology companies of all sizes, from small firms to large multinational blue chips.
I am an IT executive at General Electric where I lead a global organization defining and executing the IT strategy for one of the largest GE businesses. With more than 15 years of IT experience, I went through diverse roles of growing responsibilities across technology companies of all sizes, from small firms to large multinational blue chips. My focus is on IT and software: I started with technical roles then evolved into technical-commercial management of enterprise customers, then business development for several sectors of the IT market, in Italy and abroad. I managed large and complex IT programs and environments, and the corresponding budgets, schedule, risks, stakeholders. Over my careers I had assignments in Italy, Spain, Brazil, US.
Specialties: IT and business architecture, IT governance, IT strategy, IT product and services marketing, project and program management, technical sales and pre-sales. People and organizational management, team motivations, acquisitions & integrations
IT Director, Operations & Application Transformation @ With $8B of revenues, GE Oil & Gas Turbomachinery Solutions is the largest Oil & Gas business in the GE franchise. As the Director for IT Operations & Application Transformation in GE Oil & Gas Turbomachinery Solutions I lead a global organization focusing on:
- IT Operation Excellence: IT Process excellence, services availability, PMO
- IT Financials Management: Opex & Capex, Cost Out
- IT Vendors Management: define & execute IT procurement and IT vendor strategy
- Cloud Migration & Application Modernization
- Datacenters consolidation From December 2014 to Present (1 year 1 month) Florence Area, ItalyCIO @ Chief Information Officer for Avio Aero, a multi billion dollar business recently acquired by General Electric, one of the largest worldwide conglomerate. In this capacity I had end to end responsibility on the IT department (people, processes, technologies, financials) as well as the mission of driving a successful and synergic integration of Avio Aero into the rest of General Electric. From March 2013 to December 2014 (1 year 10 months) Turin Area, ItalyIT Director for O&G Contractual Services @ Owned IT for the Oil & Gas Contractual Services business in General Electric. With end-to-end accountability on people, budget, IT strategy definition, programs execution and operations management, I lead an organization contributing to the company growth through leaning and digitizing business process, cost of quality reduction, protecting the company data and transforming them into valuable information and business intelligence. From January 2012 to March 2013 (1 year 3 months) Florence Area, ItalyIM Turbomachinery OTR Manager @ Responsible for Information Management Business Applications for General Electric Oil & Gas Turbomachinery division, a multibillion dollar global business. Business Applications spaned from ERP to Job Planning, from Project Financial Performance Control to Supply Chain, and included technologies from leading IT vendors such as Oracle, Primavera, Siemens, Microsoft. I led a team whose responsibilities included:
- defining the appropriate IT strategy supporting business goals and growth initiatives;
- leveraging methodologies such as Lean or Six-Sigma to ensure IT projects portfolio enables business processes simplification and efficiency;
- managing IT budget spending for the selected initiatives, and ensuring the appropriate ROI for the company;
- overseeing all the digitized project management activities (requirements, design, development, testing, code reviews, SOX controls, etc.) related to system implementation throughout multigenerational plans;
- selecting, negotiating with, and managing vendors, located on-site or offshore.
- guaranteeing compliance, controllership, data privacy, integrity and availability. From May 2009 to December 2011 (2 years 8 months) Service Line Lead @ As a Service Line Lead I owned business development for several lines of business of the Microsoft Professional Services division across Western Europe (WE). I was responsible for revenue performance, large projects execution as well as long-term success of these businesses within the 12 subsidiaries in WE. Focus areas were:
- launching and executing marketing plans on offerings and solutions;
- driving effective strategies across the 12 subsidiaries for both short term and long term growth;
- proactive focus on growing business directly supporting selected stratigic opportunities.
- Managing sales force & delivery team readiness, plus local partners selection;
- Accountable for successful delivery of service lines solutions. From June 2007 to May 2009 (2 years) Principal Consultant in IT Architecture and Planning @ As an IT Architecture & Planning Principal Consultant, my mission was to support the IT Executives in their strategic decisions for budget, technology and architecture, and then support them in managing the resulting projects. My main areas of responsibility were:
- IT Planning: IT Strategy definition, planning and organizing the corresponding projects, including CAPEX and OPEX budget definition, business cases for each project, technology benchmark and selection, identification and implementation of cost reduction initiatives and/or facilitating IT and business alignment;
- Architecture: enterprise architecture, logical and technical architectures definition, capacity planning, identification of areas of redundancy and simplification, risks prevention and mitigation. More generically providing value through vast architectural and technical skills across several areas, including real-time
communication and collaboration, business performance monitoring, CRM and ERP systems, intranet portals and dashboards, datawarehouse and business intelligence, IT security;
- Program and Project Management: management and coordination of multiple projects and strategic initiatives, top management reporting, escalation and crisis management and resolution, participation in steering committees.
Some of the skills I developed through this experience include: the ability to manage a complex IT budget and multiple complex IT projects, envisioning and defining the future state of an IT system or service, identifying the needed actions to reach that future state and governing the execution. On top of this, I learned how to navigate complex organizations, how to work with multiple teams and stakeholders, how to solve or manage conflicts. I also had the opportunity to work abroad (USA, Brazil, Argentina, Spain, France, Germany) for long periods. In 2006 I took the responsibility of leading the team of consultants focused on IT Architecture & Planning area. From October 2005 to June 2007 (1 year 9 months) Architect @ I was responsible for the technical presale activity for Microsoft Italia consulting services in several markets, as well as managing and ensuring quality control of all this market main customers’ projects. This resulted in business growth up to 25% year over year. My areas of focus included:
- Proactively engaging with customers to propose solutions addressing their business needs;
- Gathering and analyzing requirements;
- Envisioning and designing solutions including the right selection of hardware, software and services;
- Negotiating scope and economics;
- Managing projects and drive project execution ensuring on time, on budget, on scope delivery;
- Evaluate potential for follow-on work
This experience gave me strong project management skills, plus sale and delivery skills of complex projects solutions and consolidated my technological knowledge. From October 2003 to October 2005 (2 years 1 month) Technical Account Manager @ From December 1999 to October 2003 (3 years 11 months) Second Lieutenant @ From January 1998 to March 1999 (1 year 3 months) Project Manager @ I managed the development team and full lifecycle of several software projects aimed at creating systems and services for data acquisition for the civil engineering market, mostly focused on monitoring and controlling for large civil works, such as dams, highways, tunnels. From January 1993 to December 1997 (5 years)
Laurea, Electical Engineering, Computer Science @ Università degli Studi di Firenze From 1989 to 1997 Diploma di Maturità Scientifica @ Liceo Scientifico Statale "Piero Gobetti" From 1984 to 1989 Lorenzo Tanganelli is skilled in: IT Strategy, Governance, Cloud Computing, Enterprise Architecture, Business Intelligence, Program Management, Pre-sales, Integration, IT Management, Software Project Management, Enterprise Software, ITIL, IT Service Management, Solution Architecture, Global Operations
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension