Managing Director, Jay H. Baker Retailing Center @ The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Board Director @ Weavers Way Co-op
Newhouse School of Communications, Syracuse University
Retail leader and industry expert with marketing and merchandising background, and demonstrated bottom line results. Success launching new businesses and rejuvenating existing brands. Currently serve as Managing Director at Wharton’s Baker Retailing Center, linking C-level executives at top brands with the school and each other for the advancement of retail best practices, and innovation in e/m-commerce, omnichannel
Retail leader and industry expert with marketing and merchandising background, and demonstrated bottom line results. Success launching new businesses and rejuvenating existing brands. Currently serve as Managing Director at Wharton’s Baker Retailing Center, linking C-level executives at top brands with the school and each other for the advancement of retail best practices, and innovation in e/m-commerce, omnichannel execution, and "connected stores" in addition to more traditional areas of the business.
I have always had a strong creative side, an innate sensibility about what people buy, an analytical mind and an entrepreneurial spirit, so retail and ecommerce have been a natural for me. I have created, launched and rolled out new businesses and rejuvenated tired ones even in the most challenging times. Companies have ranged from $1M to $1B in size, from luxury to cheap chic. My background includes not only general management and building teams, but also creating award-winning marketing campaigns and acting as Chief Merchant. I’ve worked in retail and wholesale to build brands and drive growth in fashion shoes, accessories, and apparel as well as natural products, wellness and personal care products. I believe in differentiating by building a culture that embodies a brand's identity, and delivering a consistent brand experience reflecting that culture at every customer touch point.
• P&L results-driven General Manager
• Visionary brand-builder
• Hiring/developing people & building teams
• Innovative marketer & merchant
• Strong visual aesthetic & creative training
• Strategic yet hands on/entrepreneurial
• eCommerce & "Connected Stores" experience
• Omnichannel strategy
• Entrepreneurship & innovation background
• Experiential retail, wholesale, online, physical stores experience
• Successful startups & turnarounds
• Fashion & natural products expertise
• Press interviews as retail expert
• Speaker and moderator at conferences
Managing Director, Jay H. Baker Retailing Center @ Managing Director of leading retail, fashion and ecommerce industry Center, engaging senior leaders of top brands with mission to create thought leadership and top talent in the space. P&L oversight:
• Advise industry partners, alumni, startups and students as retail subject matter expert.
• Engage top brands to execute US and international initiatives on trending topics including Mobile Commerce, Omnichannel, Connected Stores, Customer 2025, Marketing Attribution.
• Oversee and build Advisory Boards composed of leading retail CEOs & C-suite executives (Nordstrom, Barneys, Macy's, Victoria's Secret, Ralph Lauren, more) & ecommerce/digital entrepreneurs (CEOs from Gilt, Warby Parker, Bonobos, etc), to partner with best-in-class on topics spanning cybersecurity, omnichannel organizational structure, mobile pre-commerce & conversion, optimizing the path to purchase, technology & innovation, data mining, talent.
• Co-host retail segment on SiriusXM Wharton Business Radio's show Marketing Matters.
• Represent Wharton in the press as retail expert. From September 2013 to Present (2 years 2 months) Philadelphia, PAMember, Board of Directors @ Govern rapidly growing for-profit regional grocer with urban farms and four stores selling produce, packaged goods, prepared food, supplements, and natural home, pet and personal care products. Mission to support local and sustainable business, with 30% of product mix from local vendors. Hired new Chief Executive, opened 2 stores and remodeled flagship. Member, Audit Committee. Prior member, Compensation Committee. From May 2011 to Present (4 years 6 months) Philadelphia, PAPresident @ Consultantcy specializing in marketing and merchandising in retail, fashion & ecommerce; advise/advocate on consumer health and the environment. Selected engagements include:
• Assisted CEO & Chief Designer of wholesale fashion jewelry brand on all business matters:
--Overhauled ecommerce website and executed social media programs to build direct channel and enhance brand identity and conversion.
--Led development of marketing and merchandising programs.
--Created framework for producing financial statements to enable greater access to working capital.
• Represented healthcare IT venture with potential investors.
• Conducted research and advised clients in search of healthy and green products and homes.
• Advocated for clean food and to get mercury out of medicine. From September 2003 to September 2013 (10 years 1 month) Philadephia, PACorporate VP; Précis Division General Manager @ Reported to Fortune 100 CEO as part of turnaround team. Edison was former world headquarters for 2000 specialty stores in fashion apparel, shoes and accessories including Bakers Shoe Stores and J. Riggings, and entertainment venues including Dave & Busters:
• Launched and grew Précis brand from start-up to 45 stores, $34 million in revenues and over 300 employees, designing and retailing private-label fashion footwear and accessories.
• Produced highest sales per square foot of company’s 12 fashion retail chains.
• Hired/developed 16 executives in all functional areas: line building, buying, marketing, store operations and planning. Developed best-in-class, energized team on slim budget.
• Acted as General Merchandise Manager and initially as Marketing Director while running Division.
• Cultivated brand vision across all functional areas, creating consistent visual aesthetic and brand identity at all customer touch points.
• PR events landed USA Today holiday front page; catalogs won Addy awards for creative excellence. From January 1991 to March 1998 (7 years 3 months) St. Louis, MOAssistant to the President, Corporate & Division Special Projects @ • Right-hand to EBS President executing $1 billion turnaround; focus on $300M shoe division.
• Led successful turnaround of $40 million fashion merchandise category in 500 Bakers shoe stores, resulting in incremental pretax profit of $1.2 million in first year:
-- Worked with buyers to refine merchandise mix, reduce SKU count by 20% and double turnover.
-- Introduced multi-channel marketing program to refresh brand.
-- Leveraged domestic manufacturing to deliver just-in-time inventory, and testing small runs.
• To cut costs and improve profits across 12 apparel, shoes and accessories divisions:
-- Analyzed revenue and profit impact of new store designs to determine investment strategy;
-- Compared merchandise performance across divisions to establish best practices by category;
-- Recommended alternative uses of real estate assets to maximize ROI. From August 1989 to December 1990 (1 year 5 months) St. Louis, MOConsultant @ Analyzed competition to recommend best practices for leading building supply home center. From 1988 to 1988 (less than a year) Boston, MAAssistant to the President & Designer @ • Created business plan for new Gloria Sachs II brand targeting broader market to increase volume for this high-end apparel wholesale line carried at Saks, Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman.
• Assisted Designer with trunk shows, fittings, showroom, inventory flow and timing of deliveries. From August 1986 to August 1987 (1 year 1 month) New York, NY
MBA, General Management @ Harvard Business SchoolAdvertising, Graphic Design, Photography @ Newhouse School of Communications, Syracuse UniversityBS, Marketing @ Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania Linda Shein is skilled in: Marketing Strategy, Merchandising, Branding, New Business Development, E-commerce, Retail, General Management, Marketing Communications, Digital Marketing, Business Strategy, Start-ups, Turnarounds, Rapid Growth, Cultural Transformation, New Product Roll Out, Marketing, Product Development, Management Consulting, Natural Products, Fashion, Green Living, P&L Responsibility, Driving Results, Product Marketing, Turn Around Management, Leadership, P&L Management, Digital Strategy, Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension