Business Metrologist - Structures & Transmissions @ Rolls-Royce
Business Metrologist and Measurement Lead - Turbine Components @ Rolls-Royce
University of Derby
A proven technical specialist in metrology with extensive experience of geometry and Product Lifecycle Management disciplines within Manufacturing Engineering. I'm a time-served apprentice, who studied to first class honours level in Mechanical Engineering with work experience from two international companies. I've a history of delivering technical challenges, managing resources and projects and a visionary who can see
A proven technical specialist in metrology with extensive experience of geometry and Product Lifecycle Management disciplines within Manufacturing Engineering. I'm a time-served apprentice, who studied to first class honours level in Mechanical Engineering with work experience from two international companies. I've a history of delivering technical challenges, managing resources and projects and a visionary who can see and develop the future state of Manufacturing Engineering.
Business Metrologist - Structures & Transmissions @ From July 2014 to Present (1 year 5 months) Derby, United KingdomBusiness Metrologist and Measurement Lead - Turbine Components @ - The recognised technical authority/subject matter expert within the business for 8 domestic factories covering metrology and calibration activities.
- Identified, planned, bid and executed a Research & Technology programme of work to develop key new technology for Turbine products.
- Accountable for all new technology programmes associated with measurement and inspection; most notable implementations during role are 3D structured light and computed tomography.
- Proactive member of the Company's Measurement Systems Board (MSB) driving the company standards and working practices with the Company Chief Metrologist.
- Took command of an underperforming supplier and led their development which included agreeing a new set of commercial terms and conditions.
- Identified gaps in company procedures, coordinated a package of work to rationalise them and then manage key stakeholders to ensure their implementation.
- Business consultant to the Turbine Systems purchasing department developing measurement in the supply chain
- Managed and up skilled a team of eight indirect and three direct employee ensuring business plan deployment objectives were achieved.
- Led the Measurement Excellence programme to narrow the measurement capability gaps across the business
- Carried out a gap analysis and technical evaluation of the business to form the basis of a 10-year measurement strategy.
- Introduced Key Performance Indicators on 8-factories to drive accountability and improvement into the business.
- Leading the Nadcap for Measurement & Inspection across all domestic facilities identifying shortfalls and driving compliance. From October 2011 to June 2014 (2 years 9 months) Derby, United KingdomCAD/CAM Specialist & PLM Super User @ - The business lead operating within an established support framework, liaising with the Rotatives Manufacturing Engineering community across the UK to developing their capability and competency.
- Promoted and led the standardisation of CADCAM methods across the Rotatives business whilst maintaining synergy and sharing best practice with other Rolls-Royce Supply Chain Units and Design Engineering functions.
- Developed a process to convert CAD data for direct use in CMM programs. Business benefits of over a third of a FTE and improved data workflow, quality and traceability of data. Process was scalable to other businesses.
- Responsible for developing/maintenance and update of PLM procedures as part of a major upgrade to the corporate system.
- Managed conflicts chairing factory reviews and presented to users and management across the UK regarding; PLM programme updates, configuration changes, and relevant business information including new recognised best practices. From May 2009 to October 2011 (2 years 6 months) Manufacturing Feasibility Engineer @ - Identify, capture and report complex assembly feasibility concerns/issues based on digital mock ups, virtual build and dimensional management activities.
- Lead engineer responsible for driving solutions to complex manufacturing issues liaising cross-functionally (with Design Engineering, Quality, Project, Module and Manufacturing) in accordance with the Bentley Product Emergence Process (Bentley PEP).
- Prepared weekly status reports aligned with business and company KPI’s.
- Applied Lean Design methodology to the next generation of Bentley motor cars to deliver a cost effective, simple, light weight design which suits manufacturing assembly.
- Defined and planned own workload which was approved by Senior Management to deliver project cost, delivery and quality targets within PEP timescales. From April 2008 to May 2009 (1 year 2 months) Crewe, United KingdomManufacturing Engineer @ - Responsible for the control of manufacturing geometry, including manufacturing stage definition and fixture design, for use across a turbine blade (aerofoil) machining components.
- Led a department and represented the business in the introduction of a product lifecycle management (PLM) system which included; making decisions on system structure, implementing new methods of working, creating standards, and building suppliers relationships.
- A company recognised PLM Super User responsible for educating the team of users in the changes made to the way the system was configured; including problem resolution, presentations and individual training.
•Achieved 80% in final year university thesis based on a fixture design and analysis project which critiqued the design and identified areas for improvement on future projects.
•Factory expert for component marking using a dot peen method, which involves problem resolution and training employees. From September 2002 to July 2007 (4 years 11 months) DerbyTechnical Apprentice @ •Successfully completed a three-year technical apprenticeship which included engineering training in milling, turning, bench fitting and electrical systems to achieve an NVQ qualification.
•Gained experience at four different sites across a range of departments including; design engineering, whole engine design, stress & aerothermal groups, cost reduction, quality assurance, and manufacturing. From September 1999 to September 2002 (3 years 1 month) Derby, United Kingdom
1st Class, Bachelor of Engineering Degree with Honours: Mechanical Engineering @ Nottingham Trent University From 2003 to 2007 HNC, Higher National Certificate (HNC): Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering @ University of Derby From 2001 to 2003 Lee Griffiths is skilled in: Manufacturing..., Unigraphics, Design for Manufacturing, Manufacturing, Teamcenter, CAD, Nx, Metrology, Measurement Systems, Automotive, Automotive Engineering, PFMEA, Minitab, Machining, 5S