Software executive with 23 years experience at eBay, Microsoft, Symantec and successful start-ups. Extensive expertise building and leading high performing global business, engineering and marketing teams ($2B+ portfolio). Led incubations for emerging markets (India) including $30M equity investment in mobile payments. Co-founded Consumer (Norton 360, MyPhone services suite, eMemories) and Enterprise (Systems Management Server, Speech Server) products.
Software executive with 23 years experience at eBay, Microsoft, Symantec and successful start-ups. Extensive expertise building and leading high performing global business, engineering and marketing teams ($2B+ portfolio). Led incubations for emerging markets (India) including $30M equity investment in mobile payments. Co-founded Consumer (Norton 360, MyPhone services suite, eMemories) and Enterprise (Systems Management Server, Speech Server) products. Significant interaction with media and analysts.
Specialties: Innovation, Product Marketing/Management
Managing Director, eBay India @ Heading a fabulous team that is crushing budget numbers while delivering a fabulous experience to our ~4M active buyers and 65,000 sellers. From May 2013 to Present (2 years 8 months) Mumbai Area, IndiaCEO @ MrLMN is a product strategy consulting firm. Our unique expertise comes from developing and executing solutions based on insights across industry sectors and cross-border geographies. Prominent clients included Trilogy, Nextag, etc. From July 2010 to May 2013 (2 years 11 months) San Francisco Bay AreaSVP, Products @ Trilogy is one of the largest privately held Enterprise software companies. Trilogy builds products for major Automotive, Insurance and Telecom companies in the areas of Configuration/demand management, Channel compensation, Network management and configuration backup, etc. I report to the CEO and head up Product Management for the company. From May 2012 to March 2013 (11 months) San Francisco Bay AreaExecutive Consultant @ Consultant to CTO and CEO. Executed multiple assignments per business need.
• India Dev Centre - Nextag India comprises 100+ employees in Development, QA, Operations and Content teams. Developed strategy for scaling, including a partnership for a flexible workforce model, Improved policies and coached India leadership to retain and attract top talent to the company. Success resulted in a stronger India team and smooth transition for key projects to India (1/11-5/11)
• Merchant Programs and Dashboard – Providing Product Management leadership for new Merchant programs and an improved Dashboard (6/11 to date) From January 2011 to October 2011 (10 months) General Manager - Unlimited Potential/Startup Business group @ Unlimited Potential Strategy utilized new business models, technology solutions and advanced research. Built on partnerships (businesses, governments,organizations/NGOs), a broad range of offerings successfully extended the reach of technology. Goal: bringing relevant, accessible, affordable software to 5 billion emerging market consumers.
Drove India product and solution incubations; lead business development initiatives; developed and managed both depth and breadth partnerships and roll out Unlimited Potential messaging.
• Complete management of incubations, including four smooth graduations and six shutdowns
• Built top-notch team of four directors with average 18 years robust industry experience
• Launched (by Minister of Education/HP), new Multipoint Server reduced computer lab costs by 50%.
• Negotiated key partnerships with education company, an ISP, and a leader in modern retail
• Won 80% of government service center business (connecting India’s 600,000 villages); won 100% of the depth iCafe accounts for our shared access offerings (largest worldwide deal)
• Co-lead first equity investment, (Oxigen Services), emerging area of mobile payments; board member. From January 2007 to July 2010 (3 years 7 months) Sr. Director - Consumer Product Marketing @ Built and led new worldwide product marketing team for Symantec’s $2B consumer business: best-selling Norton branded products [Norton AntiVirus, Internet Security, SystemWorks] consumed by 50M+ active consumers globally. Conducted significant market research to develop new consumer segmentation model, naming & messaging for new products; gained buyoff for go-to-market strategies.
• Built new team of 12 product marketing managers in US, London, Tokyo and Singapore
• Launched 2006 versions of Norton Anti-Virus and Norton Internet Security
• Launched new consumer products - Norton Confidential, Norton Save & Restore, and Norton 360
• Successfully coined the term “Security 2.0”, subsequently adopted all the way up to the CEO
Recruited back by Microsoft for an exciting emerging markets role. From August 2005 to December 2006 (1 year 5 months) Chairman and CEO @ Board directed one year assignment to help execute turnaround of 10 year old public company suffering from poor product strategy and internal strife. PVI had a good customer base of 18 carriers in the tier 2/3 US wireless market.
• Strengthened team by hiring new VP of Products and VP of Business Development
• Developed new service: ‘My Phone Services’ suite (Address book, Rockin’ Ringbacks, Push 2 Connect, SmartLine and Voice Dial); First to launch Ringbacks (mobile music) in US; CNBC live; signed two carriers; one launched in two months.
Engagement successfully concluded with differentiated product strategy, strong sales pipeline and the COO promoted to CEO; Invited to continue as board member post succession. From May 2004 to May 2006 (2 years 1 month) Director @ Natural Interactive Services Division (NISD) was formed to bring all human interaction technologies under one roof (Speech, Natural Language, Search). Productized key interactive technologies; built new product marketing team.
• Established product strategy for Speech technologies, resulting in Speech Server product and SDK.
• Formed consortium of Industry leaders: Intel, Cisco, Phillips; drove new standard SALT (Speech Application Language Tags); Four months: perceived as competitive to VoiceXM, existing standard.
• Built top marketing, business development, evangelism team, 10+ people (three seasoned MS Directors).
• Business Development & Marketing Successes: Negotiated strategic partnerships giving Microsoft jumpstart in Speech industry; on-going industry landscape evaluation for investments/acquisitions; Launched beta versions: Speech Server and SDK, Business Decision Maker (BDM) kit including video providing customer executives with business scenarios. From April 2001 to November 2003 (2 years 8 months) Co-Founder @ Wrote business plan; designed product/strategy with visionary goals. Hired creatives to design/construct website; powerfully enhancing user experience.. Tested and implemented online marketing vehicles. Selected world class PR agency. executed various partnerships. Favorable reviews: Forbes Online, Los Angeles Times, Seattle Times.
• User acquisition cost reduced from $50/user to $10/user within 4 months of launch
• Partnerships: District Photo (largest global photo lab), Microsoft PictureIt! (imaging software), Pets.com (Amazon via Pets.com to ememories.com), Earthlink (premier photo sharing partner, 3MM+ Earthlink users)
• Facilitated successful merger with an eCompanies project; Hired Mattel ex-President as CEO From 1998 to 2000 (2 years) Various @ Product Planning Manager
Product management/planning for broadband network based PC service. Monitored key market trends/competition; strategic analysis. With keen customer understanding, designed compelling product/strategy.
• Team member, representing Microsoft in UDSL group; innovated the DSL lite standard
• Performed primary and secondary market research, regarding broadband technologies and services.
Created and maintained worldwide business, Desktop Application: MSOffice via OEM channel; created/implemented strategy; grew $300MM part of overall $4.2B business. Launched/maintained: Office 95, 97, Home Essentials, Works.
• Evangelized MS internet technologies and products, Africa, India, Middle East..
• Tracked Internet trends, business and technical topics, strategic and tactical planning of Internet business.
Co-founded SMS product unit. Oversaw long-term / day-to-day testing and release of Systems Management Server; built team and strategy from ground zero; designed overall test strategy; coordinated with test teams - Japan, Ireland.
• SMS garnered strong positive reviews, PCWeek: “..more stable than most other Microsoft 1.0 products released”. Products shipped: Systems Management Server v1.0, v1.1.
Software Design Engineer
Tested TCP/IP protocol + utilities and NetWare connectivity for LANManager v2.1 and Windows NT. Tested. Designed, developed and executed an extensive set of test suites in C, C++ and MSTest. Promoted to Test Manager
• Products shipped: LANMan 2.1, TCP/IP Utilities for LANMan 2.1 and Windows NT 3.1. From May 1991 to December 1998 (7 years 8 months)
MBA, Marketing @ City University From 1992 to 1996 BS, Computer Science @ University of Arizona From 1988 to 1991 Latif Nathani is skilled in: Product Marketing, Product Management, Emerging Markets, Product Strategy, Strategic Partnerships, Strategy Development, Product Life Cycle Management, Product Lifecycle Management, Strategy, Go-to-market Strategy, Start-ups, Telecommunications, Program Management, Entrepreneurship, Business Development
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension