Managing Director, Head of Digital Strategy, Chase Bank @ JPMorgan Chase & Co.
Managing Director, Head of Digital Account Opening/Onboarding & Digital Strategy, Chase Bank @
JPMorgan Chase & Co.
Venture Partner @ FoundersX Ventures
A mobile and internet industries executive with extensive experiences in leading large scale tech operations, business strategy creation and execution, new product development and launch. He also has a strong track record in lifting corporate profitability through launch of disruptive tech strategies and products. Kevin also has extensive experience in managing international business operations in APAC, and
A mobile and internet industries executive with extensive experiences in leading large scale tech operations, business strategy creation and execution, new product development and launch. He also has a strong track record in lifting corporate profitability through launch of disruptive tech strategies and products. Kevin also has extensive experience in managing international business operations in APAC, and US.
Most recently, Kevin served as an expert product & business strategy advisor to the VP of Samsung Mobile’s advanced mobile product group. This elite tiger team directly reports to president of Media division and directly advises Samsung Mobile’s global president on the direction of mobile product designs, and services strategies for next generation Galaxy handsets.
As the head of emerging markets strategy for Nokia’s CTO office, he led global cross-functional teams spanning from Brazil, US, to China to create a cutting edge emerging markets focused mobile service businesses based on a disruptive mobile technology.
Prior to Nokia, Kevin has served as head of business strategy for Yahoo Finance with $800MM+ dollars in sales. In this role, he was charged with revamping the portal’s GTM strategy to lift profitability. Additionally, Kevin also headed strategic product marketing for Y! News with $200MM+ in sales. In this role, Kevin oversaw the execution of partnership and channel strategies, and led marketing research to help define business and marketing roadmaps.
Besides his tech experience, Kevin has held roles as an investment manager and equity analyst, notably at GE Capital and Piper Jaffray. Moreover, he also has strong management consulting background through his stints at IBM BCS and McKinsey.
Kevin holds an MBA from Harvard University, a BS in EE from California Polytechnic University, and a Chinese language diploma from Shanghai International Studies University. He holds 4 patents in ASIC designs.
Executive Product Advisor -- Head of Product Strategy @ Leading product strategy creation for a multi-screen (TV, mobile, tablet, wearable, IOT) software ecosystem for Samsung USA. From February 2015 to Present (9 months) Mountain view, CAExecutive Product Development Advisor -- Head of Products @ Led product management and strategy for mobile software/services. Oversaw the development of Samsung Galaxy S6's 5 core mobile software products (chat, photo gallery, home screen, contact list, cloud backup).
Led the reinvention of Samsung USA's product and business strategies for upcoming Galaxy S6, Note 5 smartphones. Co-create next generation UX and service products on Galaxy line mobile devices. Drive product management for development of Galaxy phone's core functions slated for US launch.
Created and executed product and business strategies to build Samsung mobile value added service business.
Partnered with Samsung EVPs and VPs, who report directly to President of Samsung USA, to create a seamless multi-device UX across Samsung TV, tablet, smartphones, and wearable.
Leveraged aforementioned product strategy to directly influence Samsung Group's vice-chairman, J.Y. Lee, and the board of directors' corporate decisions. From May 2014 to January 2015 (9 months) San Jose, CAExecutive Business Development Advisor to Hearst President @ Sourced and advised the President of Hearst Entertainment on the formation of strategic OTT digital content partnership with Samsung America. Advising President on how to leverage wearable, tablet, TV, smartphone, and sensor technologies to create a brand new user experience for OTT content product currently under development in collaboration with Mark Burnett Media Production (Survivor, The Voice, Shark Tank).
Working in collaboration with the office of Samsung USA President to close partnership deal.
Hearst Corporation is one of largest diversified media companies in the US. Its major interests include magazine (world's largest magazine publisher with titles such as Cosmo, Oprah, Car&Driver), newspaper and business publishing (e,g. Fitch bond rating), cable networks (e.g. ESPN, A&E), television and radio broadcasting, internet businesses, TV production and distribution, newspaper features distribution and real estate. From March 2014 to May 2014 (3 months) Greater New York City AreaExecutive Strategic Advisor -- Advanced Research Lab Co-Creator @ Co-founded a brand new visual display technology research lab. Crafting the group's overall strategic vision, GTM strategy, identify key technologies and markets to pursue, and implementing product innovation management best practices. Advising senior management on selection of key technology R&D projects with the aim of cementing Samsung's dominance in the global market.
Driving all strategic and operational initiatives in the formation of Visual Display UX Research Lab from ground up. This new lab will spearhead the designs of future generations of Samsung Visual Display products and services, with absolute bleeding edge screen and sensors technologies. This elite lab is staffed with design and HW/SW engineering experts from MIT Media Lab, Harvard, and Stanford. From August 2013 to January 2014 (6 months) San Francisco Bay AreaManaging Director @ Paragate Strategic Advisors serves as trusted business advisor to some of the top technology, digital media, and private equity investment firms in the US and Asia Pacific. Focused on the creation of corporate and technology strategies for mobile, and digital media/services industries, Paragate Strategic Advisors' clients list spans from industry leaders such as Samsung, Tencent, to Hearst Entertainment.
Advised a multi-strategy hedge fund with $2.5 billion AUM in tech focused growth capital investments targeting mobile device and service industry in APAC.
Led due diligence on a mobile service startup based in Hong Kong seeking US$35 million in growth capital. From March 2013 to August 2013 (6 months) Hong KongSpecial Strategic Advisor @ Served as expert product & business strategy advisor to VP of advanced mobile products design group. This elite tiger team directly advises Samsung Mobile’s global president, JK Shin, on direction of mobile UX/product designs, and services strategies for future generations of Galaxy S5/S6 handsets currently under development. Samsung Mobile world's #1 mobile maker.
• Led strategy consulting engagement to guide and influence development of keystone business and UX/product design strategies that will drive future Galaxy handsets design roadmap for the next 3 years.
• Identified key emerging mobile technology trends (e.g. multi-screen ecosystem, biosensors) and crafted proactive mobile product roadmap to head off competitive threats from other OEMs.
• Advised VP of Mobile Design on creation of mobile value added services ecosystem & monetization strategies. From December 2012 to March 2013 (4 months) San JoseHead of Emerging Market Mobile Services, CTO Office @ Reported directly to Chairman of Nokia's Institute of Technology. Led efforts to commercialize key Nokia emerging technologies to increase company’s global competitiveness and to realize material sales lift. Advised CTO office’s leadership on global mobile tech and corporate strategies, with special emphasis on mobile value added services and harnessing APAC business disruptions. “First chair” on key strategic CTO tech projects.
• Led 34 person global tiger team (engineering in Brazil, sales & marketing in China, business strategy & development in US) to create and commercialize feature phone based mobile apps ecosystem (GEMS) for emerging markets. Successfully launched GEMS’ disruptive business/tech strategy and enabled 3G-like apps to download and run on 2G SMS only handsets, while creating an “apps store” platform for Nokia feature phones. Successfully created partnerships with leading SNS market leaders, Twitter, Facebook, and Sina Weibo (China) and created marquee 1st generation pilot apps in support of platform launch. This new platform is shipped on a 100MM feature phone starting H2 2013 and is projected to generate potential revenue of $25MM. Project’s success directly contributed to a positive rating on CEO and CTO performance “score cards”.
• Led creation of CTO's business strategy for emerging markets. Strategy drove Nokia CTO’s overall emerging markets R&D investments and strategic resource allocation priorities. Successfully harmonized competing internal executive interests to redirect $10MM funding toward to development and deployment of GEMS mobile platform.
• Top advisor to CTO’s 2 key R&D divisions. Both divisions are chartered with creating technologies to disrupt and supplant current mobile ecosystem paradigm. From January 2012 to December 2012 (1 year) Silicon Valley, CAManaging Director @ Served as portfolio manager for family office’s tech focused public/private markets investment portfolio with US$14MM+ AUM.
• Advised Hong Kong’s top private equity firm with $5 billion AUM on a US$43MM commercial retail real-estate investment that generated 25% return, in addition to advising on selective growth capital tech investments (bio-fuel focused) through strategic due diligence and identifying high potential M&A turn-around targets.
• Represented firm to negotiate and close a growth capital investment deal, in partnership with China’s top internet portal, in Thailand’s leading internet portal. Advised portfolio company’s senior management and board on social network media transformation strategy to better compete against foreign competition. From August 2009 to February 2012 (2 years 7 months) Hong Kong & Shanghai, ChinaVice President, Head of Business Strategy, Yahoo Finance @ Served as business strategy leader for Y! Finance (US’ #1 most trafficked financial site with US$800MM category revenue and a key Yahoo property). Created GTM strategy that served as core driver for aggressive sales growth. Managed product line operation & $10 MM P&L. Led creation and market introduction of new venture with potential $50 MM revenue.
• Created and executed division-wide GTM strategy responsible for delivering material topline lift through substantial improvements to user experience and content relevance. Strategy resulted in 10% YoY revenue lift. Managed operational tactics across multiple new product initiatives and led division wide product management.
• Led strategic M&A efforts. Advised senior executives on key M&A and partnership formation decisions. Identified M&A targets, managed due diligence, and valuation.
• Led operational turn-around of premium subscription service product line and rekindling aggressive top line growth of an existing $10 MM P&L. Oversaw daily product line performance to ensure highest service quality.
• Collaborated with former executive producers of 60 Minutes, CNBC, and product development team to create, launch, and nurture a Wall Street focused web video content with $20MM revenue.
• Led development of overall business strategy, product definition, and market introduction of Y! Finance, Institutional product line with $50 MM revenue potential. Coordinate business development efforts amongst sales, marketing, engineering, and management. Developed industry wide competitive analysis.
• Negotiated JV partnerships with strategic technology partners on formation of technology outsourcing deals. From October 2006 to May 2009 (2 years 8 months) Sunnyvale, CAHead of Strategic Product Marketing & Product Management @ Served as product marketing/management lead of Y! News (US’ #1 most trafficked news site with US$200MM sales and an Yahoo anchor property) and Y! Video. Created division wide strategic product and marketing plan that guided Video and News’ overall GTM strategies. Collaborated with marcom, sales, engineering, and business development on developing strategic plans that maximizes revenue growth, nurture Video’s US digital brand presence, and enhanced critical web audience metrics. Develop key video content partnerships deals to grow content depth along with revenue. From October 2006 to October 2007 (1 year 1 month) Sunnyvale,CASenior Corporate Strategy Consultant @ Served on consulting client service team to Fortune 50s. Diagnosed root causes of business problems, conducted quantitative and qualitative analysis, developed conclusions, and presented findings to client’s senior management.
Crafted a global industrial lubricant solution strategy for a multi-national energy corporation. Engagement encompassed the creation of a brand new $500 million consulting division based on a technology driven solution-centric business strategy. Developed portfolio of bundled products and services, new marketing channels, and reorganization of sales force. Performed primary and secondary research, developed pro-forma financial models, developed market sizing analyses, and authored business presentations for senior leaders.
Provided strategic management advice to c-level IBM executives on revamping company’s entire GTM approach. Crafted cross-brand sales strategy to enable disparate IBM divisions to jointly pursue complex multi-billion sales opportunities that spanned IBM’s entire value chain (e.g. Joint SOA, mainframe sales effort).
Advised a leading U.S. petroleum corporation in strategic streamlining of its Asia-wide credit card processing operations, resulted in significant savings and operation improvements. Led the creation of complex financial projection models that guided client’s senior leadership in the award of a $500 million contract.
Spearheaded strategic market segmentation study to enable the creation of brand new IBM BCS consulting practice that has potential sales of $5 billion, and product offerings that span IBM BCS’ service value chain. From February 2004 to October 2006 (2 years 9 months) New York & San FranciscoEquity Research Analyst @ Served as second in command of the sell-side institutional research team covering networking equipment. Researched, developed, and published detailed equity research reports on mid to large cap U.S. technology companies in network equipment sector (e.g. Cisco). Provided comprehensive research support to senior analyst.
Led equity research team to identify prospective coverage initiations and continuing coverage on tech equities.
Performed bottoms up equity selection and valuation analysis, and developed complex pro-forma financial models and forecasts.
Tracked macro-market trends and performed technical analysis on leading global equity and commodities indices.
Served as principal researcher and author. Researched, and authored coverage initiation, earnings, and sector analysis reports that guided equity trading desk strategy, and are widely followed by institutional investors.
Created in-depth sector, company, and technology level competitive landscape and strategy studies. Served as technology analysis thought leader for research team.
Engaged in proactive primary research of covered companies through interviewing senior management, suppliers, distributors, and customers.
Developed and enhanced Piper’s industry and client relationships through business networking with up and coming junior executives in various leading network equipment providers in Silicon Valley. From February 2003 to April 2004 (1 year 3 months) New York, New YorkSenior Associate @ Served as 1 of 25 professionals chosen from 3000 that is slated for top leadership roles within GE. Rotated through GE Capital divisions to develop skill sets ranging from corporate finance, sales, marketing, and general management.
Served investment banking advisor to the senior management of various GE Capital businesses.
Analyzed business and corporate finance problems, created, and assisted in the implementation of strategic financing solutions that have significant positive impact on divisions' earnings.
Devised and implemented new market entry strategies for GE Commercial Equipment Financing's (CEF) $800 million dollars real-estate financing operation. Redesigned from ground up marketing and sales force strategies that enabled the financing group to increase its year over year earnings by 10%.
Performed in-depth quantitative market research analysis to advise GE CEF senior executives on identifying and executing long-term strategic growth initiatives.
Graduate of commercial sales training program at GE Crotonville executive training center and candidate for Six Sigma Quality Management Black Belt level certification. From September 2001 to September 2003 (2 years 1 month) Stamford, CTAssociate @ Served on consulting client service team. Diagnosed root causes of business problems, conducted quantitative and qualitative analysis, developed conclusions, and presented recommendations to client's senior management.
Advised a leading Hong Kong conglomerate in design and formation of Asia's first e-banking business.
Created a lifestyle credit card strategy resulting in $60MM in potential profits.
Built complex financial pro-forma DCF models to gauge business valuation. From June 2000 to September 2000 (4 months) Hong Kong, ChinaSenior Technology Strategist @ Reported directly to CTO of Ascend Communication's, a $26 billion network equipment maker, as senior technology adviser. Identified key technological trends to drive leap-frog M&A transactions.
Advised CTO on MPEG2 over DSL networking technologies and assisted in identifying possible company acquisitions that would accelerate Lucent's digital television development effort.
Performed complex technology due diligence and vetting of potential technology investments.
Created corporate wide video technology M&A strategy and cooperated closely with Goldman Sachs bankers on crafting complex pro-forma valuation models.
Served as lead system architect for military grade DSL telecommunication product family. From January 1998 to January 1999 (1 year 1 month) Alameda, CASenior ASIC Architect @ Served as ASIC and PCB architect, and engineering team leader. Managed conception, design, implementation, and market introduction of MPEG2 digital video networking/compression products.
Served as principal design engineer. Hold 4 patents from digital video networking product designs. Conceived, designed, and successfully brought to market three digital TV (MPEG2) networking products that were instrumental in enabling DiviCom to capture Direct-TV, Echo-Star Dish Network, and Americast account wins.
Conceived, designed, and brought to market large scale FPGAs (Altera, Xilinx technologies via VHDL/AHDL/Verilog), ASICs, and PCBs targeting digital video routing and compression technologies.
Designed and implemented ASIC level functional and performance simulations (Synopsys, Altera and Xilinx).
Served as project manager and engineering team leader. Managed 12 persons engineering design teams, coordinated hardware/software design efforts in ensuring proper convergence of system integration process. Collaborated with sales and marketing on defining next generation product architecture and product capabilities.
Led successful market launch of DiviCom’s first video router. Ensured the overall field and market success of the product throughout its lifecycle through collaborating with Direct-TV’s & Echo-star’s technical teams. From January 1993 to January 1998 (5 years 1 month) Milpitas, CAMember of the Board of Directors @ Board of directors member to the California Polytechnic University Foundation, the corporate arm of the University. Cal Poly Foundation oversees the management of University's endowment, all non-academic related operations, and allocate funding to various large scale infrastructure and corporate campus initiatives. The board is chaired by the President of the University, and board members consisted of the Deans of the six colleges within Cal Poly, and a student board member appointed by the University President. From September 1992 to September 1994 (2 years 1 month) San Luis Obispo, California Area
MBA, Business Administration @ Harvard Business SchoolBachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering, Fiber Optics Communication, Candidate for Bachelor of Science, Physics, Solid state physics focusing on superconductivity @ California Polytechnic UniversityProfessional certification, Business Chinese Language Studies @ Shanghai International Studies University Kevin Shey is skilled in: Management Consulting, Corporate Finance, Investment Management, Product Management, Mobile Devices, Strategic Planning, Product Development, Business Strategy, Global Business..., Global Business..., Equity Research, Equity Capital Markets, Marketing Strategy, Product Marketing, Mobile Technology, Mobile Applications, Private Equity, Cross-functional Team..., Cross-cultural Teams, Asia Pacific, Greater China, Chinese culture, Strategy, Telecommunications, Mergers & Acquisitions, Financial Modeling, Market Research, Go-to-market Strategy, Business Development, Venture Capital, Due Diligence, Wireless, Executive Management, Semiconductors, Strategic Partnerships, Start-ups, Integration, Analysis, Leadership, Consulting, User Experience
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension