An experienced, versatile and forward looking Senior Executive with an extensive background in retail, leading and influencing its central functions during significant change within numerous fmcg sectors, as well as initiating new business revenue opportunities. Personal qualities include dedication and commitment to the task and team, results driven leadership and a learning mindset, with particular strengths that
An experienced, versatile and forward looking Senior Executive with an extensive background in retail, leading and influencing its central functions during significant change within numerous fmcg sectors, as well as initiating new business revenue opportunities. Personal qualities include dedication and commitment to the task and team, results driven leadership and a learning mindset, with particular strengths that also include creative and strategic planning, negotiating and effective communication with team members and the wider business.
New Business Development | Change Management | Corporate Strategy | Buying @ From 2015 to Present (less than a year) Head of New Business Development @ Lead a team responsible for the development and incubation of new business propositions under the Sainsbury’s brand.
• Acted as the key company contact for third party business approaches interested in Joint Ventures or other forms of partnership deals and presenting these to the Operating and Investment Board
• Set up Sainsbury’s Energy partnership with British Gas delivering significant incremental profit for Sainsbury’s
• Successfully led the integration of the standalone General Merchandise website into the main Groceries website delivering significant Operating cost efficiencies and improvement in the shopper experience via a single webpage
• Re-defined the objectives of the JV Shopper Marketing business i2c within Sainsbury’s Trading & Marketing divisions to deliver optimised profitability From July 2011 to 2015 (4 years) London, United KingdomHead of Beers, Wines and Spirits Category @ • Accountable for the management of a cross functional team of 25 buyers and category planners and responsibility for the Trading relationship with over 200 alcohol producers and suppliers through mutually beneficial joint Business plans
• Defined a 5 year BWS Vision and Strategy for BWS which included launching the £100m House Wine brand, developing and rolling out of the Wine Style guide - a colour coded system on pack and at fixture.
• Created an enhanced customer experience and ease of shop with distinct customer shopping areas/bays e.g. “Try with" and Fine wine.
• Rolled out cocktail bays and created the Great British Beer Hunt Competition in order to create excitement through sourcing from small regional beer producers From March 2008 to July 2011 (3 years 5 months) London, United KingdomHead of Meal Solutions – Ready Meals, Hot and Cold Convenience and Snack Foods Category @ Accountable for the sales, market share and profitability of the category. Management of a cross functional team of 15 buyers and overseeing the Trading relationships with over 100 fresh producers and suppliers From April 2005 to March 2008 (3 years) London, United KingdomProgramme Lead – Organisational Change @ Selected to lead a series of Change Management projects aimed at scoping and improving Business and Leadership capabilities across the entire commercial business functions.
• Implemented new Trading operational processes for planning and promotions and redesigned Category team structures introducing new central roles
• Designed and implemented new role profiles across Trading and Commercial teams with SMART objectives and targets
• Full Business Change Programme including training, roll out and post implementation review with direct report into the Commercial Director (Mike Coupe) From April 2004 to April 2005 (1 year 1 month) Head of Meat, Fish and Poultry Category @ Accountable for the sales, market share and profitability of the category. Management of a cross functional team of 10 buyers and overseeing the trading relationships with primary producers and livestock groups From April 2001 to April 2004 (3 years 1 month) Head of Packaged Grocery Category @ Management of a cross functional team of 10 buyers and responsibility for the Trading relationships with several large FMCG brands as well as small own brand suppliers From March 1999 to April 2001 (2 years 2 months) London, United Kingdom
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Archaeology, 2.1 Hons @ UCL From 1981 to 1984 Justin James is skilled in: Retail, FMCG, Business Strategy, Management, Business Planning, Merchandising, Negotiation, Marketing Strategy, Change Management, Wine, New Business Development, Customer Insight, Leadership, Strategic Planning, Personal Development
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension