Executive Technology and Development @ Elephant Talk Communications
Business Improvement Manager @ Huawei
Technical Project Manager @ KPN Spain
Centro de Estudios Cristobal Colon
Highly motivated, results oriented professional with more than 15 years of experience in the fields of Telecommunications and Information Technologies. Innovative individual with a solid technical background build on top of previous job experience. Extensive record of solutions successfully implemented (from design and development to customer delivery and training). Excellent mentoring skills and strong customer service orientation.
Highly motivated, results oriented professional with more than 15 years of experience in the fields of Telecommunications and Information Technologies. Innovative individual with a solid technical background build on top of previous job experience. Extensive record of solutions successfully implemented (from design and development to customer delivery and training). Excellent mentoring skills and strong customer service orientation. Normally rated as above company’s expectations on regular duties/assignments.
Executive Technology and Development @ From March 2013 to Present (2 years 10 months) Business Improvement Manager @ As the Business Improvement Manager I am part of a multi cultural team in charge of dealing with the regular operations for a Telecom´s Platform Multi-Country, Multi-MVNO on behalf of our customers in a Managed Services scheme. I am in charge of leading a small group of dedicated Telecom´s experts that assist the Operations and delivery departments to achieve and exceed Business Plan targets. Key Tasks includes but are not limited to:
• Mentoring and providing leadership to technical teams to deliver long term, cost efficient solutions to our customers within committed SLA´s.
• Driving the adoption of Telecom Industry best practice & methodologies to ensure business continuity and operational excellence.
• Key player in Management meetings, assisting in the planning and facilitating the Business Planning process.
• Provide ongoing post implementation training and coaching to customer business units.
• Supporting customer business units to identify and agree about data and software gaps prior to implementation.
• Ensure compliance to core principles of Magnum Platform (Multi MVNO/Multi Country) like functionality out of the box and reusability in every new implementation.
• Advising external and internal customers on alternative technical solutions to improve efficiency, reusability and cost´s reduction.
• Identify opportunities for internal improvement and potential leads (pre-sales). From May 2011 to February 2013 (1 year 10 months) Madrid Area, SpainTechnical Project Manager @ Taking full responsibility of key highly technical projects for KPN Spain, leading all architectural and technical aspects for the solution design (Core Network,VAS/SDP, BSS,CRM and Billing) and systems integration across whole organization from definition phase through implementation, where applicable providing advice on best practices and industry trends in order to ensure quality of solution. In charge of managing multiple technical teams within budget and project schedule, serving as a key participant in technical teams and customer meeting, ensuring the information flow at all levels, analyzing status report and addressing issues as appropriate.
• Responsible of minimizing and managing risks throughout the project and developing contingency plans when needed.
• Advising on alternative technical solutions to improve efficiency, reusability and reduction costs.
• Ensuring the solution quality for key functional aspects of service delivery area like Capacity Management, Performance Management and Security Management.
• Assisting the areas of sales, marketing and strategy from a technical perspective.
• Mentoring technical managers and senior developers through formal and informal channels.
• Building expert knowledge in Telecom & MVNO industry in an every Project basis.
• In charge of mitigating the team's conflict and communication problems, as well as resolving and/or escalating the issues in a timely fashion when required.
• Identifying opportunities for internal improvement & Costs reduction and developing plans for implementation. From October 2009 to May 2011 (1 year 8 months) Service Delivery Platform Manager @ Overall responsibility for Product development and overall operational issues related to Service Delivery Platform (Simfonics-Simsoft) for KPN MVNO operations in Spain and France. In charge of identifying service delivery platform issues and developing improvement plans for both countries. Key player in the decision making process, contributing to the strategy development of the platform, providing financial support and analyses for the platform for operations in both countries. Responsible for Over The Air (OTA) services platform (Gemalto) as well as Top Up Gateway and SMS+ platform (MMChannel) for KPN Spain.
• Attending regular team meetings, providing technical advice and support to issues related to all Service Platform Nodes (WAP Gateway, MMS, SMS, SMS MT Gateway, IN-SCP, GGSN, VMS, IVR, Voucher Server).
• Responsible for the SDP and OTA Budget preparation (Spain and France), management and continuous monitoring for the expenditure throughout the financial year. Advising Finance teams immediately of any significant change in estimated expenditures.
• Definition of KPIs/SLA for each Node/component within platform, measuring progress associated to them and developing performance improvement plans.
• Working closely with Marketing/Business areas to understand technical issues, costing trends, capital requirements, supply issues, cost reduction initiatives. Preparing and coordinating projects and major capital requests impacting platform.
• Collaborating with IT and Network teams to translate the business requirements into technical requirements for the SDP.
• Responsible for integrating new capabilities/functionality into the SDP/OTA to support and maintain market growth.
• Reporting directly to CTO I was also responsible for investigating/evaluating evolving technology, vendors and product concepts, supplier selection, contract negotiation, selection of tools and resources. From December 2007 to October 2009 (1 year 11 months) Senior Solution Integrator @ As an Ericsson Charging System Senior solution expert I was in charge of providing service for EMEA region (Europe, Middle East and Africa) of business. Been involved in many system integration deployment projects, ranging from analysis, implementation, and acceptance test and support phases up to platform upgrades and databases migration, customer training and technical presales. A brief enumeration of Solution Integration projects includes:
• CS 2.0/3.0 Solution Integration for Celtel (Congo, Tanzania, Nigeria and Uganda), CS 2.0/3.0 expansion and Solution integration for MTN (Benin, Guinea Bissau), Telenor (Serbia), Vmobile (Saudi Arabia) and Cyta (Cyprus).
• Operation, Maintenance and 2nd Line Technical Support to Charging System 2.0/3.0 the Prepaid Platform of Ericsson. Including Minsat, Voucher Server, SDP, Account Finder, Air, Ericsson Multi Activation (EMA).
• Developing of Customer Adaptations for Charging Nodes, providing support of new features to our customers and architecting solutions according with their needs, often coordinating such activities.
• Troubleshooting/Problem solving for issues affecting the nodes (MINSAT, EMA, Voucher Server, SDP, AIR and AF) in the prepaid platform for Network operators all over the world.
• Solid background in the different protocols and interfacing mechanisms of platform (RPC, VSIP, CAI, UCIP, PAMI, POSI).
• Identification of arising short-term to long-term potential business opportunities for Ericsson and draft/developing implementation plan.
• Technical Support and administration for Sybase / Oracle database. From May 2005 to December 2007 (2 years 8 months) Senior Solution Integrator (IVR solutions) @ Responsible for software developing, technical support and Operation & Maintenance for full network of Interactive Voice Response systems (VPS/is from Nortel/Periphonics) from Telefónica Movistar Mexico all around the country. Advising on suitable infrastructure/solutions suitable for the different projects I was involved.
• Technical Support & application development for the Nortel/Periphonics Interactive Voice Response System (IVR) using Periproducer. Ranging from Simple Touch Tones –driven menu application and (TTS) Text-to-speech to Speech Recognition.
• In charge of management and maintenance for the Phrase and Vocabulary database.
• Architecture/implementation of end to end IVR solutions utilizing J2EE & Web technologies.
• Identification, implementation, and documentation of suitable technology architecture for IVR projects of company.
• Troubleshooting/Problem solving of issues affecting the operation of IVRs.
• Design and implementation of a flexible framework for promotions and customer rewarding.
• Design and implementation of online Monitoring tools for ensuring quality of service for the full IVR’s network.
• Software development and system architecting of Voice Browsing applications using VXML v2.0 and CCXML v1.0 (Voxeo / Sixbell DTDs).
• Software development (C, Perl, CGI, mod_perl, Template, DBI, sockets) for row information processing in order to measure system performance as well as messaging systems.
• Installation, Administration and Technical Support for the Call Control prepaid platform (technology proprietary of Sixbell) for online services billing from our mobile operator customer Telefónica Movistar & Pegaso.
• Problem Solving of SS7 signaling protocol affecting IVR and Call Control modules of prepaid platform.
• Reviewing, Testing and coding of stored procedures of Database (Oracle) in PL/SQL.
• Operation, Maintenance and 2nd Line Technical Support to Prepaid Platform of Sixbell (Call Control, IVR, Oracle Database).
• Extensive Experience in Web/Application server’s administration and daily operation: Apache, Tomcat,Orion. From 2002 to 2005 (3 years) Customer Access Specialist @ I was in charge of identification, feasibility evaluation and positioning Customer Access Technology suitable to be added to access technologies portfolio of company. Creation of Request for Information and Request for Proposal documents to get technical & economical information of technology for analysis. Analyzing technical and economical aspects of technology, generating a recommendation and if of interest for the company call to field trial to relevant suppliers.
• In charge of coordinating End to End evaluation of technology.
• Responsible for leading the customer access technology for the whole company.
• Responsible for evaluating the model connectivity and strategy from our competitors and allies.
• Coordination of generic technology Project. From 2000 to 2001 (1 year) Network Access Capacity Planning Engineer @ Evaluating capacity requests for the customers and Transmission Network growth (Backbone & Metropolitan Rings), triggering capacity upgrades when required either cards for cross connect equipment to lambdas at level of DWDM or brand new SDH equipment.
• Dimensioning of the Transmission equipment for the diverse services and Core network locations based on the forecast projected.
• Feasibility evaluation for the customer access projects as well as Network growth.
• Operations & Maintenance of Transmission Equipment (PDH, SDH, DWDM) from different vendors (Alcatel, Lucent, etc.).
• Elaboration and maintenance of the cost model for transportation facilities.
• In charge of Capacity Management for the Transmission Facilities.
• Support to Budget control and annual CAPEX/OPEX calculation for Transmission based in forecast. From June 2000 to December 2000 (7 months) AXE Software Designer @ In charge of Software Development (Plex-C) for the AXE Ericsson exchange within the Access Product Development Unit.
• Responsible for 4 Software Blocks for the Access Ericsson Engine.
• Responsible for basic testing at Block and System level.
• Troubleshooting and resolution of issues reported all around the globe for the blocks under my responsibility.
• Implementation and testing of assembler patches to correct functionality.
• Responsible for the creation and maintenance of the corresponding documentation for user. From November 1998 to May 2000 (1 year 7 months) Network Maintenance Engineer @ Active part during Start up of Operations of company I was in charge of problem solving switching (5ESS), transmission (DACS II, SLM, etc.) and signaling (SS7-ISUP and R2). I was responsible for Network performance monitoring and triggering the required actions whenever KPIs were below goals. I acquired knowledge about elements that make a telephony network from an operations & maintenance point of view (management systems, SDH/PDH and DWDM equipment, protocol analyzers, provisioning, ATM, billing and IN).
• Preventive & Corrective maintenance to Voice and Signaling (MFC R2 y SS7) trunks.
• Coordination & execution of joint testing for Voice & signaling trunks with several domestic and international operators such as Avantel, Telmex, AT&T, Bell Canada, British Telecom.
• Traffic report analysis for the four 5ESS system (Lucent Exchange) in the Network (Call Completion, Incomplete Calls, Trunk Component and Office Summary, Malicious Call tracing).
• Software designs for Traffic analysis (Perl) and some applications in Visual Basic and Visual Basic for applications from Excel & Access for information filtering and reporting. From May 1996 to November 1998 (2 years 7 months)
IEC, Electronic Engineering @ Tecnológico de Monterrey From 1990 to 1994 Centro de Estudios Cristobal Colon From 1987 to 1990 Juan Celaya is skilled in: SS7, Unix, Solution Architecture, VAS, Intelligent Networks, Charging, MVNO, Mobile Telecommunications, Telecom Infrastructure, Perl, Java, Technical Architecture, End to End Solution Architecture, XML, Deep Packet Inspection
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension