Senior Software Developer (Contract) @ Universal Production Music
University of Bath
Joshan is a highly sought after Senior Full Stack Software Developer with 10 years experience building an extensive range of applications for both the public and private sectors. Equally at home with start ups & established companies, Joshan brings technical knowledge and practical experience to the full development lifecycle as well as agile methodologies including SCRUM &
Joshan is a highly sought after Senior Full Stack Software Developer with 10 years experience building an extensive range of applications for both the public and private sectors. Equally at home with start ups & established companies, Joshan brings technical knowledge and practical experience to the full development lifecycle as well as agile methodologies including SCRUM & TDD.
Joshan is acknowledged for his strong business analysis and technical writing skills within a range of teams and industries; he is equally comfortable in working on solo projects or leading teams of developers and acting as the technical lead on your projects.
Joshan is a creative, versatile composer and has just completed a MMus in Composition at Goldsmiths University, London. Joshan has composed works for solo instruments, chamber ensembles, orchestra and choir and has had several public performances by the BBC Concert Orchestra, Allegris String Quartet & the Eunoia Ensemble. Joshan has also experience writing for Film/TV and visual-based art involving interative technology. Joshan currently writes and performs in the jazz piano trio 'Moda Trio' based in London.
=== Development ===
• C#.NET 2.0-4.5
• ASP.NET / MVC2-4 / Web API
• Entity Framework / SQL Server (2000-2008)
• WCF / REST / SOAP
• XML / XPath v2.0 / XSLT
• Semantic Web, RDF, Ontologies
• Objective-C / iOS / OSX
• Ruby on Rails
• Python / Django
=== IDE / Version Control ===
• Visual Studio (2003-2012) Visual SourceSafe / TFS (2010) / JIRA / Confluence
• XCode (4.0-4.6)
• GitHub & Mercurial (TortoiseHg)
=== Operating Systems / Administration ===
• Windows XP / 7
• Windows Server 2002-2008 Mac OS X
• Linux (Ubuntu)
• IIS (v5-7)
• Apache / Tomcat
• RabbitMQ & Redis
• Completed first year of MMus in Composition, averaging distinction grade. Studying with Roger Redgate.
• Recently compositions: a piece for saxophone, piano, percussion & computer using Max/MSP for live audio manipulation to be performed in March 2013. Also composing music & sound effects for educational mobile app using fixed recordings & live audio synthesis using PureData.
• Laughter Music for Choir performed by Goldsmith Students in Dec 2011 - This piece is to explore the various types of laughter, whether they be the natural laughter of the performer or the interpretation of notated laughter in the score.
• RTFS for Soprano, Trombone & Piano performed by the Eunoia Ensemble in June 2012 - This piece is based upon the sound objects produced by the use of the modern computer. The rhythmic gesturing and pitch material have been produced by a computer program which has captured a user's behavioral pattern and has translated them into musical objects.
• Maxipulate for Cello & Computer performed June 2012 - The piece uses a 32 second sample of a cello playing middle C with some technique variations. The sample is manipulated into chunks and using FFT analysis, the chunks are played back simultaneously at different rates and pitches dictated by Xenakis Sieves. Implemented using Max/MSP & Python. From 2006 to Present (9 years) Software Developer (Contract) @ C#, .NET 4.5, WCF, WebAPI, CastleWindsor, Moq, NUnit, PostgreSQL, Custom ORM, RabbitMQ, Redis, IIS7, Windows Server 2008, TeamCity.
Member of the backend team enhancing the WCF web services for iOS, Android & web clients, developing optimisations & new features. Dealing with high-volume, concurrent calls in large transactional system.
• Reduced response time to web services calls by developing asynchronous writes to database using RabbitMQ (EasyNetQ API + Protobuf serialisation) & Windows Services (Topshelf API)
• Restructuring PostgreSQL database + replaced stored procedures with code using LINQToSQL + custom built ORM specialised for Postgres
• Developed new features for web client’s welcome screen using Redis cache (Booksleve API).
• Developed new projects for Continuous Integration using TeamCity, VCS with Mercurial (TortoiseHg) & minor Windows Server 2008 & Linux (CentOS) administration From February 2014 to May 2014 (4 months) London, United KingdomTeam Leader / Senior Programmer Analyst (Contract) @ C#, .NET 3.5-4.0, ASP.NET MVC, Angular JS, JQuery, WCF, WebAPI, XML/XPath, MS Testing Framework, SQL Server 2005-8, IIS7, Windows Server 2003-8, Linux (Ubuntu LTS 12.04), Semantic Web, OWLIM Triple Store, Python (v3), MSBuild, Apache
Providing continuity to projects in terms of development / technical lead as well as managing the team until permanent staff are recruited. Assisting with recruitment and planning also. Currently working on:
• Integration of multiple systems with enterprise digital asset management system using .NET 4.0 (Middleware), ASP.NET MVC4, QUnit, SQL Server 2008 R2. Providing technical architecture expertise and working with multiple external suppliers.
• Deploying new SPARQL endpoint & linked data server using Linux (Ubuntu), Apache, Tomcat, Jetty, OWLIM (including OWLIM Workbench & SE) as well as integrating open source tools.
• Development & deployment of ticketing system for member only events using a range of technologies including: integration with Venda eCommerce system, Alterian CMS (front & backend), .NET based middleware (using Entity Framework & ASP.NET MVC), SQL Server 2008 R2
• Providing 3rd line support to existing applications as well as managing bug fixes to applications supported by team. Utilising TFS bug tracking system as well as external suppliers systems (JIRA [and Confluence], Mantis)
• Delegating tasks to team members as well as managing daily SCRUM & regular code reviews. From August 2013 to February 2014 (7 months) London, United KingdomLead Developer (Contract) @ Lead developer responsible for building a range of products for company’s first release leveraging core engine. Primary goal to rapidly develop applications using SCRUM with minimal overhead using
• C & Objective-C (CoreAudio, API design & Ruby Extensions), multithreading.
• C++ (Original code base), Boost Libraries
• NGinx, Puma
• MacOS X as well as Mac OS X Server administration
Main responsibilities included software design & architecture (OOP, SOA), business & requirements analysis, writing functional & technical specifications, hands on development, working with a range of teams across the museum, applications for public and internal usage. Developed & maintained:
• Collections Online (http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/search.aspx) to allow the public to search the collection - synchronised with British Museum’s internal collection & digital asset management databases. Utilising Lucene.NET & integration with Alterian / Immediacy CMS.
• eCommerce backend integrations allowing memberships, ticket & products to synchronise Venda eCommerce platform with backend systems: TOR, The Raiser’s Edge. Also front end applications to remove manual process including electronic membership sign up and card reader checker for member exhibition access.
• Semantic Web development including extensive modeling & conversion of collections data against CIDOC-CRM ontology using bespoke software and releasing as RDF online: (http://collection.britishmuseum.org/) using Ontotext’s OWLIM triple store.
Worked within the Mobile Computing Group; was primarily responsible for engineering and 2nd line support for all remote access technologies including BlackBerry / BES infrastructure, Citrix farm engineering, VPN access and RSA SecurID engineering for the Europe region. Developed applications to aid support functions for the team and acted as development resource for other infrastructure teams.
Gained extensive experience in requirements gathering, business analysis and application support across a large multi-national organisation. Regularly worked with users based in New York, USA and Mumbai, India.
Applications developed included:
- MyMobile: Bespoke reporting and cost analysis tool for corporate device billing made available through the intranet. Parsing of numbers dialed and replicated complex billing algorithms for cost estimations and identify potential savings.
- Tariff Switcher: Automated analysis service to perform billing projections on mobile usage and to alter tariffs accordingly.
Call Usage Monitor Blackberry application to log call usage using RIM’s API & J2ME.
Worked on a number of applications including first .NET application deployed throughout the company. Helped improve the main support & bug reporting tool and the AXA-IQ; the main reporting tool viewing fund data obtained from external feeds.
Contributed to extensive documentation for application support and writing technical specifications as well as learning early agile methodologies and rapid application development techniques. From September 2004 to September 2005 (1 year 1 month)