Latin America Director Productivity and Collaboration @ Google
Executive Certificate in Management and Leadership @
Massachusetts Institute of Technology - Sloan School of Management
System and Computer Engineer with Master in Computer Science, 15+ years of experience in IT; 10 of them He has been supporting complex enterprise business transformations (Margin increasing, cost reduction and operational excellence) enabled by IT capabilities. Knowledge on financial services and telecommunications industries, and hands-on experience in business platforms (CRM, ERP, among other COTS) and technical
System and Computer Engineer with Master in Computer Science, 15+ years of experience in IT; 10 of them He has been supporting complex enterprise business transformations (Margin increasing, cost reduction and operational excellence) enabled by IT capabilities. Knowledge on financial services and telecommunications industries, and hands-on experience in business platforms (CRM, ERP, among other COTS) and technical platforms (Middleware, Security, BI, EPM, N-Tiers, SOA/BPM, Databases, ECM, XA X/Open, among others).
On the last nine years according to several consulting engagements in the IT world, the vast majority of them oriented to support complex business transformations; He has identified the importance of the business orientation of IT approaches, processes, methodologies and tools. Then, He has extended his work in the IT world with Enterprise Architecture approaches, such as TOGAF, as a way to align the deliveries generated by IT projects with the business strategy, business model and business processes of the organization/enterprise. As method and vehicle for getting this alignment, He promotes the definition of strategic roadmaps based in quick-wins.
During his career, He has had the opportunity to play different architecture roles. As Enterprise Architect, He has supported the definition of enterprise roadmaps (working together with C-Levels), for guiding business transformations, materialize business goals through a completed business architecture specification enabled IT capabilities.
As Solutions Architect He has supported the design and implementation of reference architectures for applications solutions(CRM), enterprise application integration (CRM-Core-Banking, CRM-Billing, CRM-ERP, among others) and IT solutions based on business modeling(APQC,BPMN, eTOM/SID/TAM), composite, loose-coupled, re-usability and governance principles.
Finally, He promotes motivation inside Tech/Business teams, teamwork and adaptation to changing environments.
Specialties:Business Strategy, Business Motivation Model, Business Processes Architecture, Enterprise Architect (TOGAF 9, Zachman), Financial Services (Banking), Telecommunications (eTOM, SID, TAM), SOA, BPM, Software Engineering, RUP, XP, IT Governance, Distributed Systems (CORBA, RMI, XA, SOAP, Sockets), Java, JEE, C++.
Enterprise Architect Director @ Lead the team of Enterprise and Solution Architects responsible of conceptualizing, designing and realizing business transformations to important customers (Public Sector and Private sector); enabled by business and IT capabilities, industry knowledge, and centered in principles of business strategy alignment, agility, simplicity, and cost efficiency, using proven world-class solutions and experiences; creating in this way a revenue grow platform based on value generation. From June 2014 to Present (1 year 5 months) ColombiaPostgraduated Teacher at Los Andes University(eMBA, Master in IT Architectures, MS in Compu Science) @ As part of this non-fulltime position, I have teached the following courses:
- IT Strategy (eMBA and ECE)
- Business Architecture and IT Strategy ( Master in IT Architectures)
- Enteprise architecture ( ECOS)
- Software Architecture (Master in Computer Science)
- Development of internet infraestructures ( ECOS)
- Architecture styles : N-tier, SOA, EDA, Distributed Systems From August 2003 to Present (12 years 3 months) Bogota-ColombiaChief Architect - Consulting Services @ Additionally to play the role of Consulting solutions architect in presales and delivery assignments, I’m responsible for managing the NOLA’s architecture team. As part of this leadership position I should:
• Organize and structure the team for supporting presales and delivery assignments. Mainly, we provide support to complex and important presales opportunities and delivery projects in the region (Multi-domains, Multi-LOB (System, BUs, Licenses, ACS, and University), Strategy accounts, big revenues).
• Support to the sales team in the opportunity qualification, before a solution architect could be assigned.
• Structure and define PDP for each member on the architecture team, and influence pre-sales and delivery assignments according to skills and development plans.
• Identify re-usables (approaches, methods, artifacts, designs, etc.) among the pre-sales and delivery projects supported my team that allows us to sell/execute better, in a standard way, and increase the margin.
• Support to LAD’s Pillars in the NOLA’s region
• Position industry knowledge as the strategic tool for selling value, based in our product offering, to strategic customers.
• Share practices and knowledge gained by my team in the field (presales and delivery) to all LAD. From March 2011 to May 2014 (3 years 3 months) north latin america regionSolutions Architect at Oracle Consulting @ As solution architect I played two roles:
Consulting pre-sales architect
- Attend to functional and technical meetings held by the customer related to the business problems to which they are looking for a solution.
- Provide support to Consulting Sales Manager in understanding business requirements from the customer, qualify the opportunity and design a high level solution which response to the business requirements.
- Specify and design a solution architecture that provides support to the customer’s business requirements.
- Structure an implementation plan, based in transitional architectures – each one considering a set of business capabilities that guides the implementation of the architecture according to: Pain points, business strategy, drivers, and business requirements.
- Estimate effort (labor days) and duration for facing a consulting engagement based on the proposed solution architecture.
- Planning and delivery approach (Phases, deliveries and resources) for facing the project.
- Positioning and selling, from a business and technical viewpoints based in business capabilities; the proposed solution architecture to the customer.
Consulting delivery architect
- Support the bid transition ( Once the consultancy project has been won this is assigned to one project manager for preparing the starting of the engagement)
o Support the project manager in starting the project (Prepare de WBS, deliveries templates, structure of the project, etc.)
- Design the solution architecture of the project
- Write best-practices, design principles and guidelines which must be taken into consideration during the design and implementation phases.
- Give technical direction and guidance to the delivery team
- Highly involvement and support in the initial phases of the delivery: Inception and elaboration phases.
- Play QA (Quality assurance) sections during the construction, transition and production phases. From March 2008 to March 2011 (3 years 1 month) North Latin AmericaPostgraduated Teacher at Master in Telecommunications and IT Management @ As part of this position, I taught the course:
- Specification and definition of enteprise and solution architectures From 2009 to 2009 (less than a year) Cali, ColombiaEnterprise and Solutions Architect @ Advisory and hands-on consulting services on IT and Enterprise Architecture for important companies in Colombia (Financial Services, Public Sector and IT Companies). Some of the most important engagements were:
* Valores Bancolombia (Bancolombia Bank Group) (Febraury 2008) - Advisory Services in Enterprise Architecture as strategy tool for defining and planning a business transformation engagement around their core business processes
* Colpatria Bank (2007-2008) - Advisory Services in Adoption, design and implementation of SOA/BPM , based in IBM stack, as enabler of operational excellence on Credit Origination business processes.
* Grupo Sura (2006-2008) - Advisory Services in Enterprise Architecture, IT and Software Architecture
* Grupo Aval (Group of Banks in Colombia) (2007) - Advisory Services in Adoption of SOA/BPM , based in IBM stack, as enabler of operational excellence and IT agility.
* Camara de Comercio de Bogota (2006-2008) - Hands on services for specifying and implementing the Public Records solution ( 35 business processes) based in SOA/BPM approach using IBM Stack
* Effecty Money Transfer(2006-2007): Advisory services for defining and specifying a reference architecture required for implementing N-Tier applications in .NET 2.0/3.0
* Heinsohn Business Technology (2006-2007) Advisory services for defining and specifying a reference architecture required for implementing N-Tier applications in J2EE From February 2006 to March 2008 (2 years 2 months) ColombiaPostgraduated teacher in Specializing in Software Construction @ Software architecture and architectural styles (distributed systems, N-Tier, SOA, EDA, MOM) From 2007 to 2007 (less than a year) Medellín, ColombiaIT Architect @ Cambridge Technology Partners was acquired by Novell From June 2004 to January 2006 (1 year 8 months) Americas (North and LatinAmerica)Senior Technical Consultant @ From November 2003 to June 2004 (8 months) Latin AmericaResearch Professor (Distributed systems and Architectural Styles) @ Research areas:
- Distributed Systems
- Software Engenieering
- Software Patterns
- Software Architecture
- Architectural styles (SOA, EDA, N-tier, among others) From January 2002 to November 2003 (1 year 11 months) Bogota, ColombiaSoftware Development Consultant @ From January 2001 to May 2001 (5 months) Mannheim Area, GermanyResearch and Development Engineer @ From January 1999 to January 2001 (2 years 1 month) Medellin, Colombia
Executive Certificate in Management and Leadership @ Massachusetts Institute of Technology - Sloan School of Management From 2013 to 2014 Master in Computer Science, Computer Science @ Universidad de Los Andes From 2001 to 2003 Software Architecture Crash Course, Microsoft Research @ University of Cambridge From 2003 to 2003 Ingeniero de Sistemas, Computer Engineering @ Universidad Católica de Oriente From 1994 to 1998 Jorge Arias is skilled in: Enterprise Architecture, Solution Architecture, Software Engineering, TOGAF, RUP, Middleware, Design Patterns, Distributed Systems, UML, JBoss, Software Development, EAI, SOA, J2EE, Architecture, EJB, Team Leadership, Java, Software Design, Java Enterprise Edition, Business Strategy, Enterprise Architecture..., Technology Integration, Integration, Enterprise Software, Business Intelligence
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension