I'm a product development specialist with more than 10 years of experience gained in innovation institutes, big data companies and as a consultant. For the past 5 years I have been focused primarily in the area of big data product development, and I'm fascinated by the way data, customer insights, design, psychology and personalization all converge within
I'm a product development specialist with more than 10 years of experience gained in innovation institutes, big data companies and as a consultant. For the past 5 years I have been focused primarily in the area of big data product development, and I'm fascinated by the way data, customer insights, design, psychology and personalization all converge within this discipline. In this period, I had the privilege to work in a role that allows me to formulate ideas based on data insights, translating a lot of information in features and rapidly test those features with a massive number of customers to increase e-commerce conversion. I believe that testing is a great scientific method of understanding the online visitor's behaviour, that shapes a company's understanding of their customers and allows companies to improve its user's shopping experience.
I currently work as a Product Manager at Passei Direto – the largest students network in Latin America, with more than 4 million students.
Product Manager @ Passei Direto has the Mission to connect students and their knowledge and provide a richer learning experience. The network is 100% free and collaborative for over 4+ million students.
- Managing the entire product line life cycle from strategic planning to tactical activities;
- Specifying market requirements for current and future products by conducting market research supported by on-going visits to customers and non-customers;
- Driving a solution set across development teams (primarily Development/Engineering, Data Science and Marketing Communications) through market requirements, product contract and positioning;
- Developing and implementing a company-wide go-to-market plan, working with all departments to execute;
- Implementing ecommerce process to Learning Services product, plus product recommendation and search personalization;
- Analyzing potential partner relationships for the product. From October 2015 to Present (3 months) Rio de Janeiro Area, BrazilProduct Manager @ Chaordic is a leader in personalization solutions for e-commerce in Brazil. With its products, online stores such as Saraiva, Pontofrio.com and Walmart Brazil offer the right products for each and every consumer, impacting millions of users in the Brazilian e-commerce.
- 12% increase in revenues raised by users who have used the internal search in a large Brazilian Ecommerce player (A/B Testing against a global competitor)
- 28% increase in the conversion rate of users who used the internal search (A/B Testing against a global competitor)
- First personalized search engine marketed exclusively for ecommerce websites.
- Managing the entire product line life cycle from strategic planning to tactical activities
- Specifying market requirements for current and future products by conducting market research supported by on-going visits to customers and non-customers.
- Driving a solution set across development teams (primarily Development/Engineering, Data Science and Marketing Communications) through market requirements, product contract and positioning.
- Developing and implementing a company-wide go-to-market plan, working with all departments to execute.
- Manage a team of UXs / POs to develop new features to product.
- Analyzing potential partner relationships for the product. From November 2013 to September 2015 (1 year 11 months) Florianópolis Area, BrazilProduct Owner - Innovation/New Offers @ Ideation and design of new innovative products for e-commerce (B2B / B2C) using product recommendation technology through big data analysis.
Development of functional prototypes for mobile (Android and iOS), UX/UI Design, usability testing and user engagement evaluation. From March 2013 to October 2013 (8 months) Florianópolis Area, BrazilProduct Owner - Mail @ Accomplishments
- Lead the development, pricing and go-to-market strategy to a personalized real time email marketing product for online retailers.
- Create a group of trigged personalized, real time offers delivered by email based on customers’ behaviors with the store.
- Develop A/B tests at Chaordic's email marketing product to tests the email subjects, which obtained an increase of 35% on open rate metric. From June 2011 to February 2013 (1 year 9 months) Florianópolis Area, BrazilCo-Founder & CPO @ Rudra is an startup that aims to develop software for new business models, within the design of a natural capitalism.
Its mission is to transform the discourse of sustainability into practice through innovative products and processes for segments deemed strategic. From May 2010 to June 2011 (1 year 2 months) Senior UX/UI Designer @ CERTI Foundation is an independent, nonprofit organization that develops innovative technology solutions for the private sector, government and third sector institutions.
- Led the design of the User Interface for HD-One, set-top box developed for the Brazilian Digital Television market – ISDB-Tb.
- Designed and developed the User Interface for the Philips set-top box (ISDB-Tb) marketed in Brazil.
Developed the Philips Eletronics Portal using CSS3, HTML5, Jquery, Spring Framework and SQLite.
- Led one of the first evaluations of usability for Brazilian Digital Television applications, creating a checklist for the development of these applications. From August 2008 to May 2011 (2 years 10 months) UX/UI Designer @ The Stela Institute is a private non-profit organizations based in Florianópolis, Brazil dedicated to scientific research and development of innovative software solutions. Its products are used by over 20 million users across Latin America.
- Led the design and development of Lattes Platform Portal, getting around 100k visitors/month from Brazilian scientific community.
- Responsible for IA/UX of the Innovation Portal, a project created by the Brazilian government to support and accelerate the process of innovation in the country. In the first year, 2 million researchers and more than 10 000 companies throughout Brazil subscribed to this portal.
- Responsible for IA/UX of the National System of Higher Education Assessment (SINAES) project developed for the Brazilian Ministry of Education (MEC) and the National Institute for Educational Studies and Research (INEP) to evaluate universities, masters and postgraduate PhDs in Brazil. From January 2004 to August 2008 (4 years 8 months) Florianópolis Area, Brazil
M.Sc. candidate, Design management @ Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina From 2011 to 2013 Postgraduate, Interaction Design @ Instituto Faber-Ludens From 2009 to 2011 Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Graphic Design @ Barddal University of Applied Arts From 2004 to 2009 Joao Costa is skilled in: User Experience, User Interface Design, Usability, Information Architecture, Interaction Design, User Interface, Web Applications, User-centered Design, Human Computer Interaction, E-commerce, Product Design, Front-end, Product Management, Graphic Design, Web Development