President & Chief Executive Officer @ Windstream
Bachelor's Degree @
A dynamic, results-oriented CEO, financial expert, and boardroom veteran. Renowned for managing fast-paced organizations with industry-leading performance. Combines keen analysis, tough operational metrics, consistent communications, and a passionate team approach to execute strategy, drive growth, and encourage exceptional, collaborative governance and world-class succession planning. Helped drive two major public corporation separations. A recognized expert with respect to
A dynamic, results-oriented CEO, financial expert, and boardroom veteran. Renowned for managing fast-paced organizations with industry-leading performance. Combines keen analysis, tough operational metrics, consistent communications, and a passionate team approach to execute strategy, drive growth, and encourage exceptional, collaborative governance and world-class succession planning. Helped drive two major public corporation separations. A recognized expert with respect to mergers and acquisitions, providing fiscal, strategic, and operational leadership in uniquely challenging situations.
-More than 25 years working with regional and national communications providers.
-Served as President and CEO of Windstream, a Fortune 500 and S&P 500 provider of advanced network communications with $6B in annual revenues.
-Transformed the company into a premier enterprise communications and services provider.
-Completed nine acquisitions since its 2006 spinoff from Alltel Corp., adding more than $4B in revenue and creating a robust portfolio of advanced communications and technology services, including multi-site networking, VoIP services, cloud computing and Ethernet managed services to help businesses succeed in the global marketplace.
President and Chief Executive Officer @ From August 2015 to Present (3 months) Principal @ From February 2015 to August 2015 (7 months) President & Chief Executive Officer @ Named by the Board of Directors to lead the separation of Alltel Corporation’s wireline operations and create a new company, Windstream, which merged its assets with those of wireline player Valor Communications Group, Inc.
• Industry leader in both operating and financial metrics for the past four years.
• Aggressively transformed Windstream from a legacy wireline company dependent on residential voice for the majority of its revenues, to a next generation communications company driving over 70% of revenues from broadband and business.
• In 2009, Windstream announced the acquisition of four businesses for a total of $2.2B. Highest total shareholder return in telecom from inception through December 31, 2009. Pro forma 2010 revenues of $6B, with $2.5M of OIBDA.
• Built Windstream into a new brand, recruited a top-notch management team and new board, raised $5B of capital in the high-yield markets, and relentlessly communicated the strategy/execution plan to employees and investors.
• By December 2006, the new company generated $3.2B+/- in revenue and $1.7B in operating cash flow.
• Led the acquisition of nine entities with a combined value of over $5B since 2006 to accelerate Windstream’s transformation. From 2006 to 2015 (9 years) Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer @ Executive Vice President & Chief Financial Officer
Oversaw the entire financial infrastructure of what had been an $8B revenue wireless and wireline communications company. Responsible for accounting, financial planning, capital markets, mergers and acquisitions, and investor relations.
• Centrally involved with the CEO and team in building Alltel’s reputation of being one of the best-run telecom players in the world, with industry pacesetting core margins and top performance in total return perspective for the better part of a decade.
• Helped drive smart mergers, with a cumulative value of $20B, which earned the company an excellent track record within the financial community for being a “smart” acquirer and delivering on synergy estimates.
• Built and managed a world-class finance team, directed Alltel’s investment-grade balance sheet, applied capital markets expertise to raise more than $15B, and introduced derivatives and a commercial paper program.
Senior Vice President, Finance 1998
• Supervised all capital markets, financial planning, accounting, and internal audit functions, thus playing an integral role in managing the financial performance of both the wireless and the wireline businesses of Alltel.
• Totally retooled the finance team at Alltel and instilled an aggressive, enthusiastic culture while working with the operating and finance teams to drive best-in-class results. Exceeded synergy targets substantially on revenue, expenses, and capital investment. From 1998 to 2005 (7 years) SVP, Finance / President,Mid-Atlantic Wireless Operations / VP & General Manager,Wireless Operations @ Senior Vice President, Finance 1997-1998
Brought in from operations to transform and elevate the accounting function from a supportive role to key driver of financial strategy and performance.
• Significantly expanded the finance function in scope and capability.
• Drove capital markets, financial planning, accounting, and internal audit functions, accomplishing a complete overhaul and improvement of business performance in a short period of time.
• Played an important role in negotiating and integrating the 360/Alltel merger transaction.
President, Mid-Atlantic Wireless Operations 1994-1997
Led operations, marketing, finance, engineering, and human resources in key business states of Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania.
• Significantly improved the growth rate and the financial performance of the region, built an incredibly strong team, and increased morale significantly among direct reports.
Vice President & General Manager, Wireless Operations, Sprint Cellular, Las Vegas, NV 1992-1993
In a first-time operating role, supervised operations of Sprint’s largest wireless market prior to 360 Communications spin-off. Dramatically improved margins and elevated team morale in a business that grew over 20% per year.
Previous experience with 360 Communications from 1985 to 1992 in various financial and accounting roles of increasing responsibility. From 1985 to 1998 (13 years)
Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) @ The College of William and MaryBachelor's Degree, Finance & Accounting @ Purdue University Jeff Gardner is skilled in: VoIP, Telecommunications, Telephony, Data Center, Cellular Communications, Broadband, Wireless, IP, Solution Selling, Direct Sales, ATM networks, Avaya, Call Centers, Channel Partners, Cloud Computing, Co-location, Computer Network..., Executive Management, Fiber Optics, MPLS, Managed Services, Mobile Devices, Networking, Network Design, Internet Services, Optical Fiber, Organizational..., Product Management, Routers, Selling, Strategic Partnerships, Strategic Planning, Strategy, Switches, T1, Unified Communications, Vendor Management, WAN, Strategic Leadership, SIP Trunking, Thought Leadership, Sales, CPA, Leadership, CEOs
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension