Managing Director - Application Manager @ BNY Mellon
Data Resource Manager – Enterprise Architect @ Russell/Mellon
I am information executive with extensive experience managing people, process and technology. I take great pride in my ability to implement innovative solutions to business problems. Experienced in technical aspects of data processing including logical and physical data modeling, ETL design, structural database administration and procedural development; as well as non-technical aspects such as global personnel, budget,
I am information executive with extensive experience managing people, process and technology. I take great pride in my ability to implement innovative solutions to business problems. Experienced in technical aspects of data processing including logical and physical data modeling, ETL design, structural database administration and procedural development; as well as non-technical aspects such as global personnel, budget, outsourcing and project management. Underlying this experience is a genuine curiosity and interest in technology. I enjoy both the elegance of good architecture and the efficiency of good code but also appreciate the importance of personal relationships in getting things done.
Specialties: Data architecture, Systems architecture, Database management, Mainframe development, Application management, Business intelligence
Managing Director - Program Manager @ Responsible for executing large scale business development programs for Global Client Service Delivery including all aspects of management information delivery.
• Led an initiative to implement a comprehensive information management strategy. Drove efforts to catalog disparate legacy systems that track client impact information. Modeled workflows and mapped data sources across multiple domains within business, operations and technology. Integrated data into reporting systems where appropriate and accessed data in place where possible to provide a complete picture of client data. Empowered client relationship staff with streamlined data collection tools and business executives with timely and accurate reporting.
• Collaborated on corporate governance model from multiple perspectives. From a top down corporate view, represented the client relationship domain in work sessions to define a strategic model for corporate data assets. From a bottom up grass roots perspective, implemented changes to Client Service Delivery tools that aligned with corporate and industry standards. Improved the value of client data by working across system siloes leveraging both personal relationships and technical skills.
• Improved information quality by performing profiling on stored data values and by working with upstream development teams to implement data cleansing and validation rules.
• Performed Proofs of Concept with various BI tools to evaluate options for data presentation and visualization including Microsoft BI, Tableau, Business Objects and Jasper. Utilized MS BI capabilities for resource tracking process that increased management insight into team operations.
• Contributed to various large scale business initiatives in an IT Liaison role. Published architecture models that facilitated effective communications between business, operations and IT organizations. From July 2011 to Present (4 years 4 months) Everett MAManaging Director - Application Manager @ Responsible for all aspects of architecture and support for the primary accounting and performance measurement data warehouse platforms for one of the world’s largest financial services firms with more than $22 trillion under custody and administration. The warehouse underlies the hosted business intelligence portal. Developed positive relationships with product management, operations, and finance.
• Led multi-team Proof of Concepts on Data Warehouse appliance offerings from Oracle (Exadata), IBM, Teradata and Neteeza.
• Managed in a dual role for both the accounting and performance measurement teams.
• Supported 3.5TB+ IBM mainframe based data warehousing environment.
• Overhauled production support staff replacing one offshore vendor with another.
• Managed $1M+ outsource budget. Implemented dashboard to control rate of spend.
• Annual travel to India to conduct offshore vendor reviews and training.
• Reduced ETL processing from 4 hours to under 2 while enabling 24 hour-a-day data availability.
• Improved service level agreement compliance to 99% from 94%.
• Doubled the history retention of data without adversely impacting system response time.
• Mentored direct reports including future managers, architects, and technical leads From January 2007 to June 2011 (4 years 6 months) Data Resource Manager – Enterprise Architect @ Data Resource Manager reporting to the Director of IT for a joint venture with $100M in revenue. Developed a 3 pronged approach to data resource management that encompassed structural, procedural and data architecture components. Staffed each discipline with experts. As the shop grew, my role expanded to include responsibilities on the Enterprise Architecture team.
• Managed 5 fold growth of the team through hires and global acquisition (UK).
• Managed 20 fold growth in data storage in core DB2 warehouse.
• Expanded support to cover Oracle, SQL Server and Sybase.
• Designed and implemented operational processes for data resource management function that focused on customer service, technical excellence and efficiency.
• Developed JSP/Intranet based data dictionary tool.
• Conducted classes on our platform, data models, DB2 and SQL.
• Implemented extensive IBM DB2 system tuning enhancements resulting in significant reduction in batch runtimes and CPU costs.
• Developed innovative web based ad-hoc query product prototype From January 1999 to December 2006 (8 years) Application Database Administrator/Programmer @ For a global asset servicing company. In this position, I was introduced to two mentors that were instrumental to my career growth; one technical and one managerial. Seized an opportunity to assume application DBA responsibilities to augment my programming skills.
• Implemented several system tuning fixes resulting in significant savings in processing requirements and batch window. Reduced batch run time from 1 hour to 2 minutes for key analytics aggregation engine process. In another case, reduced batch CPU chargeback by $200K annually for a single code change.
• Designed and implemented concurrent load software that eliminated the need to take reporting products offline during load processing.
• Optimized early efforts with mainframe connectivity from distributed applications (ODBC/JDBC) by analyzing detailed database traces as well as CLI layer traces. From February 1995 to December 1998 (3 years 11 months) Programmer Analyst @ Implemented several system tuning fixes resulting in significant savings in processing requirements and batch window. Reduced batch run time from 1 hour to 2 minutes for key analytics aggregation engine process. In another case, reduced batch CPU chargeback by $200K annually for a single code change.
Designed and implemented concurrent load software that eliminated the need to take reporting products offline during load processing.
Optimized early efforts with mainframe connectivity from distributed applications (ODBC/JDBC) by analyzing detailed database traces as well as CLI layer traces.; As a consultant I was quickly exposed to 2 large but very different financial service IT shops and had to come up to speed quickly on their operational practices. Learned not to get hung up on the environmental issues and to focus on the product requirements. Consulting instilled an appreciation for effective time management within a project.
Designed and implemented data interfaces feeding a global accounting system installation at a large insurance company.
Developed instrumented ETL interfaces using mainframe sort and transformation tools.
Coded enhancements to retail banking, safe-box and statements processing for a mid sized regional bank. From January 1993 to January 1995 (2 years 1 month) Cryptologic Linguist Specialist @ Korean Linguist From September 1984 to May 1988 (3 years 9 months)
B.A, Business Administration; MIS @ University of Maine From 1988 to 1992 James Voteur is skilled in: System Architecture, Business Intelligence, Database Management, Mainframe, Application Management, Architecture, Data Warehousing, ETL, Data Modeling, DB2, Enterprise Architecture, Databases, Solution Architecture, IT Strategy, Data Integration, Dashboards, Software Development, Data Governance, Program Management, Operations Management, Project Execution, SDLC, Project Management, PMP, Business Analysis, Requirements Analysis, Oracle, Analysis, Business Process, Product Management, SharePoint, SQL, Financial Services, Enterprise Software, Microsoft SQL Server, Outsourcing, Analytics, Requirements Gathering, Strategy, Management, Performance Tuning, PMO, IT Management, Project Portfolio..., Vendor Management
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension