An accomplished, influential and commercially astute FINANCE DIRECTOR with a wealth of experience providing a clear vision in adding both value and profitable growth to the business. A proven expertise determining the strategic direction and aligning this to business objectives, internal and external reporting, providing appropriate business controls as well as business partnering. A strong and collaborative
An accomplished, influential and commercially astute FINANCE DIRECTOR with a wealth of experience providing a clear vision in adding both value and profitable growth to the business. A proven expertise determining the strategic direction and aligning this to business objectives, internal and external reporting, providing appropriate business controls as well as business partnering. A strong and collaborative leader developing and motivating high performing cross functional teams, who deploys a meticulous attention to detail in providing innovative solutions to complex problems. An excellent communicator, at all levels, who establishes outstanding internal and external relationships. A pragmatic, results oriented and highly personable professional now seeking a new role with an organisation providing the scope for both personal and professional development.
Group Financial Controller @ I've taken the plunge and gone permanent - so much scope to add value and a great environment with high quality management and a good team too.
Typical financial controller role with financial accounting, business partnership, financial administration and strategy in the remit.
In the first 2 months I have revised the management accounts, agreed business wide kpis that are now reported in these management accounts, picked up the retail and logistics business partnership and made progress towards understanding the member ownership implications for the business strategy.
The business is very interesting and open to change and development and this is a great time, with the business in turnaround, to get involved. I am enjoying it hugely! From September 2015 to Present (4 months) Head of Finance Solutions and Support @ Reporting to the chief accountant and group financial controller with five direct reports and a budget of £1.4m with responsibilities including overall leadership of the change programme, the senior finance role for the five year £500m Oracle implementation, benefits management, a member of the senior finance managers group and finance advisory board leading the capability stream.
• Ensured that new solutions, on conversion to Oracle, were aligned to both finance and business objectives delivering annual benefits of £100m
• Brokered and proposed solutions to, as part of the ‘Guiding Coalition’, several significant cross-functional disagreements, allowing for the smooth implementation of systems
• Improved the efficiency of the ‘business as usual team’ by more than 30% to enable the team to better deal with the increased volume and complexity of the work flow
• Controlled and reduced the spiralling IT spend by more than 5% p.a. by improving the clarity of communication and challenging spending in the appropriate areas
• Established a team of control experts to ensure that, for all process changes, controls were appropriate From June 2010 to June 2015 (5 years 1 month) Bradford, United KingdomGroup Financial Reporting Manager @ With five direct reports and a budget of £600k responsibilities included leading the group finance team to produce the board management accounts, provide shared service accounting for the group, budgeting and planning for the investor relations director, establishing accounting policies as well as overall responsibility for reporting.
• Identified and implemented a new departmental structure enabling 200 central managers to control their own costs and resulting in a £60m saving
• Reduced the reporting timeline, for the board management accounts, by two days and increased the reliability of the reporting timeline
• Enabled the company to get its maintenance costs under control, identifying the need for and implementing control through appropriate recording and follow up of costs
• Successfully converted the company from UK GAAP to IFRS within a two month window, the output being understood and accepted by the City
• Implemented programme and project spend reporting and control to manage some 17 ‘fit for 2010’ projects with a £200m spend (excluding IT)
• Managed the day-to-day audit relationships to ensure there were no ‘surprises’ for or from the auditors
• Implemented, with senior management, a budgeting and forecasting process to ensure the business was accountable for their own performance From September 2005 to June 2010 (4 years 10 months) Bradford, United KingdomInterim SOX accountant @ Reporting to the head of projects with responsibility for mapping out business processes, identifying controls and assessing efficiency of proposed improvements, within Sarbanes-Oxley methodology.
• Utilised Sarbanes-Oxley methodology to identify and eliminate control gaps in the manufacturing business of the company From February 2005 to September 2005 (8 months) Sheffield, United KingdomFinance Manager / Group Financial Accountant @ Reporting to the FD with responsibilities including ensuring accuracy of accounts, preparing all tax computations and tax affairs, secondary contact with the banks as well as being responsible to the CEO for all capital expenditure.
• Reduced recurring tax fees from £200k to less than £80k by bringing more administrative activities in-house and leaving only value added services with PwC
• Provided support to the shareholders in the light of a hostile takeover and ensured that the price paid was £70m more than first offered
• Structured the £600m hotel disposal to generate £36m of tax losses with no stamp duty for the purchaser
• Procured a £700k one off repayment of VAT having worked closely with HMRC to demonstrate the accuracy of reporting in the prevailing situation
• Managed all CAPEX through the CEO headed ‘Capital Committee’, ensuring only appropriate projects were presented for approval with no surprises for the CEO or operators
• Successfully renegotiated a £250m loan with Lloyds Bank that had previously been secured on one hotel From July 2001 to December 2004 (3 years 6 months) Leeds, United KingdomAudit Manager @ Reporting to various partners and managing significant budgets with responsibilities including delivering audits to the appropriate standard for clients as well as various projects including conducting due diligence for clients acquisitions and being seconded as an FD to a manufacturing company.
• Built the cash flow model to establish borrowing requirements by Arcadia for their £150m acquisition of the Miss Selfridge brands from Sears plc
• Completed a successful six month secondment as Financial Director from PwC which included managing a new invoice discounting/3i funding arrangement as well as dealing effectively with an acquired doubtful debt From June 1998 to July 2001 (3 years 2 months) Leeds, United KingdomVarious @ From 1991 to 1998 (7 years)
MA, Mathematics @ University of Oxford From 1986 to 1989 Haberdashers' Aske's, Elstree From 1975 to 1986 James Clark is skilled in: Finance, Managerial Finance, Process engineering, Process Engineering, Business Process, Stakeholder Management, Management, Team Management, Process Improvement, Project Management, Accounting, Change Management, Leadership, Auditing, Start-ups, Financial Accounting, IFRS, Business Process Improvement, Mergers & Acquisitions
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension