Executive Vice President, Solutions & Strategy @ XPO Logistics, Inc.
Co Founder & CEO @ TeamDeal, LLC
Head of eCommerce, Omni-Channel, Technology, & Supply Chain @ Sears Hometown and Outlet Stores, Inc.
MS (equivalent), Nuclear Engineering @
Naval Nuclear Power Program
Experienced C-Suite Executive passionate about leading the business, and its partners, through aggressive growth strategy and execution. Focused on identifying and leading technology enabled solutions throughout the company, to accelerate transformation, agility and growth. Proven ability to learn complex details in all functional business areas and challenge internal and external industry experts to rethink the possibilities for
Experienced C-Suite Executive passionate about leading the business, and its partners, through aggressive growth strategy and execution. Focused on identifying and leading technology enabled solutions throughout the company, to accelerate transformation, agility and growth. Proven ability to learn complex details in all functional business areas and challenge internal and external industry experts to rethink the possibilities for profitable growth.
Experience as President/GM of a $500M+ nationwide retailer, fully responsible for the P&L, day-to-day operations, and all other aspects of the rapidly growing business.
Experience as the Senior Marketing Executive (CMO), efforts led to double digit growth in sales, profit, and online traffic, despite reduced costs.
GM of all company websites, including Searsoutlet.com. Led it from creation to a fully transactional, customer engaging website, that drives millions in EBITDA.
Experienced leading internal departments, external partners and change while managing both analytical and implementation projects with multiple work streams and time sensitive goals.
18+ years in operational and strategic roles as a Naval Officer (Commander - O5); leadership in sustained arduous mission accomplishment, complex operations, project management, and frequent organizational change management.
Specialties: - Identifying, solving, and implementing critical business opportunities.
- Analyzing and integrating new technology to create new business opportunities.
- Data mining/analytics utilizing Big Data capabilities and BI infrastructure
- IT infrastructure/ERP evaluation, planning, and migration
- eCommerce platform architectural design and website optimization
- Managing/analyzing the marketing budget; optimizing every dollar spent.
- Utilizing advanced technology and algorithms for pricing and promotion optimization
- Digital Marketing leadership; SEM, SEO, social media, and interactive customer engagement.
VP, eCommerce, Omni-Channel, Technology, & Supply Chain @ Responsible for eCommerce, Omni-Channel sales (Integrated Retail), Mobile, Business Intelligence, Information Systems & Technology, Supply Chain, Inventory Sourcing and Management.
• Led merger of two diverse companies and spin-off of the combined company ($2.4B, 1260 stores) to a publically traded independent company .
• Recognized increasing restrictions of legacy mainframe IT infrastructure and lead the extensive research, business case, and migration to a cloud based software ERP and comprehensive Technology solution.
• Evaluated, scoped, selected, and negotiated a comprehensive Business Process Outsourcing model to a single Service Provider performing all bottom of the Strategic Pyramid business functions and processes. Achieved order of magnitude improvement in SLAs, and significantly reduced risk profile, all with expense savings.
• Established and lead a multi-vendor nationwide reverse flow logistics network for the liquidation, certification, and resale of distressed merchandise via the nation's leading Outlet for hardlines.
• Leapfrogged the industry, being among the first in the IR500 to adapt the website to Responsive Web Design. Resulted in continued eCommerce growth (5 yr CAGR: 63%) and created the cornerstone of omni-channel retail
• Completely overhauled our data sourcing, cleansing, and dissemination of business data in order to transform from mainframe computing to advanced distributed computing. Merged many disparate and conflicting data sources within our legacy IT infrastructure, and provided it as a single source of timely data truth using leading edge functionality like Hadoop, Cassandra, and Impala presented through a Pentaho user interface.
• Led a multi-million Supply Chain P&L and a dynamic network optimization effort. Designing a completely new Supply Chain through partnerships and a forward thinking pooled Inventory & Logistics model. From July 2012 to Present (3 years 6 months) Board of Directors, VP of Programming and Marketing @ From October 2015 to Present (3 months) Greater Chicago AreaCommander Officer, SUBPAC Undersea Warfare Operations CHI @ - Senior Officer, rank of Commander (O-5), currently serving as the Commanding Officer for a Submarine Forces Reserve Component UWO detachment.
- Served at a NATO unit, working as the J3/J5 (Operations & Strategic Planning Officer) within the Allied Command Transformation (ACT) from Dec '12 - Nov '15.
- Provided training and exercise support to the Joint Forces Training Center (JFTC) and the Joint Warfare Center (JWC), in preparing allied multi-national forces for in-theater operations
- Served at the NR NCAGS Det Chicago unit from Dec '09 - Nov '12. From December 2009 to Present (6 years 1 month) Greater Chicago AreaVice President (VP) & GM, Sears Outlet @ - President of the Sears Outlet business, responsible for the P&L and approximately 3500 Store Support and field associates.
- Led a net sales increase of $73M (17%) in first year as President driven by a 9% increase in comparable store sales and triple digit growth in eCommerce sales, while maintaining double digit flow through and growth of the bottom line.
- Responsible for communicating company and business unit strategy and pro-actively acquiring and developing talent.
- Leads growth opportunities and exit strategies based on business financials, consumer and industry trends, and market penetration strategies.
- Leads successful implementation of strategies in order to attain revenue, gross profit and gross margin objectives.
- Understands consumer value proposition and competitive differentiation.
- Leads uniform processes, metrics, roles and responsibilities with performance based accountabilities and tracking.
- Keeps abreast of important consumer and industry trends (technological, social, economic, demographics) that impact the business or organization.
- Develops key business relations with Inventory Management, Finance, HR, and other Support Center functional areas to ensure processes are efficient and positively impact to business results.
- Provides strategic input into the store experience for customers.
- Provides strategic input into the marketing vehicles the company uses and how to maximize those vehicles by business.
- Hires and develops high performing leaders
- Sets, communicates and adheres to high performance standards. Takes decisive action with under-performers and continually recognizes and rewards superior performance
- Understands the complex elements of the Retail industry and the emerging technologies that affect it From January 2011 to September 2012 (1 year 9 months) Greater Chicago AreaDirector Marketing, eCommerce, & Business Development, Outlet @ • Developed a 3 year strategic vision with aggressive plans to improve market share in home appliances, broaden the category and product assortment to increase relevance, and expand the store footprint nationally and internationally.
• Identified, scoped, and negotiated leases on 40+ new store locations. Developed business cases and gained approval via the Holding Company capital committee for every project.
• Developed an aggressive apparel re-invention, including the launch of a brand new successful all-apparel format.
• Led an aggressive store opening schedule with new stores outperforming existing stores by double digits. From July 2010 to January 2011 (7 months) Director of Marketing & eCommerce @ • Senior Marketing Executive (CMO equivalent): established new ROMI model and redefined the marketing mix for the business, to include marketing channels that are better designed for current business objectives.
• Led complete distribution and segmentation analysis. Developed and achieved sustained double digit improvements in ROI, while systematically exploring new customer acquisition areas.
• Led a nascent company website to a fully transactional, customer engaging website that drives several million dollars in profit and aggressive growth opportunities.
• Developed 3 yr vision with an aggressive and detailed eCommerce road map. Led monthly improvements in iteration velocity, parallel paths, redirects, and focused QA to protect the customer experience. These efforts have led to triple digit growth in sales, profit, and online traffic. From November 2009 to July 2010 (9 months) Engagement Manager/Project Leader @ Chief of Naval Operation's Staff, Pentagon.
• Action Officer: Led several senior teams of DOD staff/consultants in $1M studies (two major theaters), which predict and describe the most likely future strategic environment and defines the required military capabilities/investments.
• Coordinated with resource sponsors to assign assets that meet established missions priorities. Identified mission shortfalls/duplications and suggested financially sound alternatives for minimizing and/or eliminating them.
• Financial Analyst: Led teams of analysts responsible for analyzing the financial viability of proposed mission capabilities. Informed the annual Presidential Defense Budget, linking missions and results to requested funding. From September 2007 to November 2009 (2 years 3 months) Submarine Officer/Combat Sytems Tactical Officer @ Leadership and Project Management
• Senior Watch Officer: Responsible for the development, positioning, and overall training of all the Officers on board. Conduit for implementing the Commanding Officer's vision of change and excellence.
• Command War Council: Relied upon by the Commanding Officer to plan, present, and execute complex theater operations and mission tasking.
• Department Head: Led the tactical operation and maintenance of the ship’s combat system equipment and personnel.
• Quality Assurance Officer: Responsible for all critical maintenance on the sub. Cited as best on the waterfront (1/20).
• Navy Commendation Medal (2), Pacific Fleet Arleigh Burke Award, and Battle Efficiency Award for contributions to “the most improved operational Naval command in the Pacific” and “the best overall submarine in Squadron 3.” From February 2005 to October 2007 (2 years 9 months) Summer Associate @ •Telecom Industry: Conducted complete analysis of net line loss and identified the important trends.
•Assisted in disaggregation of entire customer base into meaningful and actionable groups in order to define a holistic retention strategy.
•Developed a structured process and economic model to provide for a consistent and rapid analysis of retention programs.
•Assisted a client team through a complete analysis of the current product portfolio and in identifying a future state portfolio based on market back requirements From May 2003 to August 2003 (4 months) Submarine Officer/Nuclear Engineer @ • Nuclear Engineer: Certified by Naval Reactors to serve as Chief Engineer of any Navy Nuclear power plant.
• Officer of the Deck: Led a 40-person cross-functional team in the safe operation of a $1 billion nuclear submarine.
• Division Officer: Directly supervised teams of up to 20 technicians in the maintenance and operation of the ship’s nuclear propulsion, auxiliary, and nuclear reactor systems. Completed all projects > 10% ahead of schedule. From January 2000 to August 2002 (2 years 8 months)
MBA, Finance, Marketing, Entrpreneurial MGMT @ University of Pennsylvania - The Wharton School From 2002 to 2004 BSEE, Electrical Engineering @ United States Naval Academy From 1994 to 1998 MS (equivalent), Nuclear Engineering @ Naval Nuclear Power Program JJ Ethridge is skilled in: Cross-functional Team Leadership, Strategy, Leadership, E-commerce, Management, Business Strategy, Operations Management, Business Development, Strategic Planning, Analysis, Team Building, Team Leadership, Vendor Relationships, Retail, Change Management