Vice President, Head of Global Operations - International Supply Chain @ DHL Global Forwarding
A confident, highly motivated, versatile & resilient professional who is capable of working in challenging & adverse environments with a proven track record of generating effective results. Able to assess & understand global activities – political, economical & social & relate them to the logistics organization expressing them in well thought out ideas with clear presentation &
A confident, highly motivated, versatile & resilient professional who is capable of working in challenging & adverse environments with a proven track record of generating effective results. Able to assess & understand global activities – political, economical & social & relate them to the logistics organization expressing them in well thought out ideas with clear presentation & effective speaking.
My aim & passion in life is to take what I have been fortunate to have learnt during the last 25 years within the Supply Chain and Logistics industry around the world and to assist individuals and companies in developing industry leading logistics operations which combine a balance of in-sourced & out-sourced functions.
Having worked in many sectors including Retail, Automotive, Technology, Heathcare & Manufacturing covering Global Supply Chain functions, I have developed an understanding of how the dynamics within each unique supply chain need to work in harmony to create a truly successful end to end model.
I have lived in Europe, Asia and USA and developed a multi-cultural approach to business. I am regarded as being commercially astute with excellent communication skills combined with intuitive vision for structure, organisation and process required to drive service and cost improvement strategies that deliver best customer service. Natural consultative approach that is pragmatic and effective in motivating and influencing others, whilst gaining trust and respect at all levels.
• Supply Chain Development
• Network Modelling and Solution Design
• Organizational Design
• Global freight procurement management
• Inventory Management
• Reverse Logistics
• M&A integrations
• Stakeholder Management
• Project management
• Sustainable Supply Chains
• Cost reduction / Improved Efficiency programs,
• Six Sigma/Lean processes.
Executive Director @ My initial focus is to assist in designing an LLP/4PL product that will enable our customers to receive true intellectual value. Working in partnership with our customers, we hope to create an outsourced empowered environment which enables the LLP to manage our customers Network whilst injecting industry leading global Trade Compliance practices, Network Design Solutions, Analytics and Freight Audit services. Exposing our customers network to these fundamental elements will not only transform their Network but will bring a robust cadence and efficiencies required in todays rapidly changing worldwide logistics environment. From September 2013 to Present (2 years 3 months) Executive Director - Global Logistics @ Management of Lenovo Worldwide Global Logistics operations via dedicated Logistics teams and 3PL partners.
I helped develop a world-class logistics operation and team which covered the management of the end to end movement of inbound components plus 100M+ Finished Goods from 38 Manufacturing Locations to 180 end-user countries. Includes the management of 22 VMI facilities and 32 DC’s / hubs across the world, reverse logistics operations and a service parts network with 300 locations and a significant spend across logistics and supply chain partners.
Developed, implemented and managed new network strategies in all regions including Europe, Middle East, Africa, Russia, North & South America, China, Asia Pacific. Responsible for Freight Procurement function with collective spend of approx $900m per annum.
Main achievements were stablizing the physical network, reducing costs through optimization and freight spend negotations, outsourcing non-core functionality, opening operations in new emerging markets in Africa, Latin America, Russia and Asia, handling M&A integration, creating & managing a recognised industry leading logistics team. From July 2010 to August 2013 (3 years 2 months) Vice President, Head of Global Operations - International Supply Chain @ Promoted and located in Hong Kong to oversee Global Operations & Compliance for DHL 4PL International Supply Chain Division. This function involved the E2E management of Customer Supply Chain from receipt of the Purchase Order, management of origin product suppliers, handling of shipments from source to final destination, consolidation, optimization, trace & trace visibility, product manipulation (value add), merge in transit, tactical inventory positioning, etc.
• Responsible for Global customer satisfaction and operational performance
• Undertake independent assessment of customer service satisfaction and assist region/s in providing continuous improvement.
• Define Operational Strategy for origin and destination teams incorporating “Six Sigma” and LEAN” methodology (First Choice).
• Sponsor Global customers relationships. Undertake solution design workshops to establish opportunity for customer & DHL
• Lead implementation of new IT platform and Operating environment (GT Nexus) into DHL organisation
• Assess, introduce, measure and support operational compliance across global business.
• Define investment strategy for Emerging Markets ( Outside of China, US and Europe)
• Introduce "Global" standard practices and align regions accordingly.
• Define CFS warehousing strategy for origin handling programs, lease/ownership, sub-contract, partnerships, etc
• Develop operational Global KPI’s and monitor continuous improvement.Established best practice and SOP standardisation for all global offices to adopt. From May 2009 to July 2010 (1 year 3 months) Business Director - EMEA @ Working for DHL 4PL International Supply Chain Division (ISC). This function involved the E2E management of Customer Supply Chain from receipt of the Purchase Order, management of origin product suppliers, handling of shipments from source to final destination, consolidation, optimization, trace & trace visibility, product manipulation (value add), merge in transit, tactical inventory positioning, etc.
• Responsible for managing service and relationship for all UK, Europe and Middle East based accounts utilising ISC services
• Budgetary Responsibility – Managed increase in business from £3m to £60m over 4 years
• Develop customer relationships and undertake solution design forums for continuous improvements and business opportunity.
• Managed Account Development teams, Control Tower functions and Service Delivery/implementations.
• Create commercial proposals for development solutions and assist in final delivery.
• Responsible for contract and commercial negotiations.
• Undertake solution design and sourcing strategies with Retailers and FMCG manufacturers. Conduct tours with Buyers to international supplier factories
• Clients included – Sainsbury’s, Avon Cosmetics, MFI, WHSmith, Brantano, Mothercare, Travis Perkins, House of Fraser, Auchan, Poundland,. From October 2003 to May 2009 (5 years 8 months) Milton Keynes, United KingdomDevelopment Director @ • Created world-wide Supply Chain Management Solutions via 3PL and 4PL solutions.
• Established a team consisting of fifty people to handle International Logistics.
• Managed 3PL warehouse contracts, 800,000 sq.ft warehousing, on site factory logistics and 4PL service providers.
• Co-ordinated all corporate sales activity from identifying potential clients, receipt of initial RFQ, production of response document, presentations, negotiation and implementation.
• Created warehouse/cross dock operations for dedicated customer in Czech Rep, Hungary and Turkey.
• In the five years at New Wave Logistics, increased turnover from £24m to £80m.
• Clients included – Tesco, Samsung, Epson, Dr Martins, Philips, Trico, Pioneer. From 1997 to 2003 (6 years) Milton Keynes, United KingdomGeneral Manager @ • Managed total UK freight operations, documentation, container logistics, breakbulk cargo reception, vessel rotation, haulage, etc.
• Responsible for UK and Caribbean Agents’ sales and marketing activities and all associated items such as advertising, sponsorship, presentations, budgets etc.
• Responsible for pricing policy for European customers and negotiated contract rates for volume business. From 1992 to 1997 (5 years) Southampton, United KingdomDevelopment Executive & Management Trainee @ • Promote Maersk Line services in South West and Wales region of UK
• Achieve weekly, monthly and yearly budgets for exports and imports on the four main deep-sea trade lanes from the UK, (USA & Canada, Far East, Middle East and West Africa).
• Negotiate rates, equipment, credit terms with clients to obtain maximum benefits.
• Undertake consultancy duties to other regions on logistics, incorporating cargo loading techniques, equipment utilisation and export documentation systems. From 1986 to 1992 (6 years) Southampton, United Kingdom
BTEC Higher National Diploma, Business Studies & Finance @ Filton Technical College From 1982 to 1985 Ian Mallison FCILT is skilled in: 3PL, Customs Regulations, Freight, Freight Forwarding, Leadership, Logistics, Logistics Management, Management, Manufacturing, Mergers & Acquisitions, Procurement, Project Management, Six Sigma, Sourcing, Stakeholder Management, Strategy, Supply Chain, Supply Chain Management
Looking for a different
Ian Mallison FCILT?
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension