Head of Architecture & Analysis @ Sainsbury's Bank
Head of IT Architecture @ Sainsbury's Bank
Senior IT Leader with accountability for provision of IT Architecture services. I have extensive experience across a broad spectrum of technologies, platforms and business domains, specialising in Digital technologies. Over recent years I have established and evolved a number of Architecture teams and practices, implementing effective, value-add teams that help to ensure predictable delivery in line with
Senior IT Leader with accountability for provision of IT Architecture services. I have extensive experience across a broad spectrum of technologies, platforms and business domains, specialising in Digital technologies. Over recent years I have established and evolved a number of Architecture teams and practices, implementing effective, value-add teams that help to ensure predictable delivery in line with business and IT strategy.
As comfortable with business sponsors up to C-level as I am with IT colleagues, I take real satisfaction in distilling complex IT concepts to get them across to audiences of varying technical abilities; I have excellent communication skills, and enjoy helping colleagues across the organisation to understand how technology can help them to meet their business goals.
• IT Strategy
• Leading, shaping and evolving IT architecture teams and practices
• Defining and implementing architectural process and governance
• Providing IT leadership, consultancy and guidance to both IT and business stakeholders
• Business Process Outsourcing / IT Outsourcing
• Financial services experience
Senior Enterprise Architect @ Chief architect for Standard Life's German & Austrian businesses. From February 2015 to Present (11 months) Associate Vice President, Technology Partnership @ Responsible for developing long term technology strategy and managing partnerships with business customers with clear linkage to business plans. Work with executives and other key stakeholders to support the execution of the business plan for driving profitable growth across divisions through an agreed IT Strategy and Technology roadmap for the organisation. From September 2014 to March 2015 (7 months) Montreal, Canada AreaHead of Architecture @ Senior IT leader with accountability for the Enterprise, Business and Solution Architecture practices in Standard Life Canada, and member of the organisation's IT Executive. Member of Forrester EA Council for North America. From March 2014 to March 2015 (1 year 1 month) Head of Solutions Architecture @ Accountable for leading and evolving Standard Life UK's Solution Architecture service.
I led an overall team of 20 IT architecture staff, as well as maintaining portfolio responsibility for the Customer, Adviser & Investments and Operations areas of the UK business. I also represented the UK business on a number of Standard Life Group bodies. From April 2013 to March 2014 (1 year) Edinburgh, United KingdomSenior Architect - Retail, RDR & SL Wealth @ Architecture Lead for Standard Life's Retail business, RDR and Wealth portfolios, with the following responsibilities:
• Provide leadership and technical expertise on all aspects of IT design and implementation
• Act as advisor to IT Senior Management and Business Sponsors
• Manage, lead and coach a team of Solutions Architects in support of delivery of Standard Life's change portfolio
• Recommend, design and implement systems architecture within major programmes of work (> £5m), ensuring that it meets business needs and maximises the company investment in IT
• To ensure design of the overall programme of work consistent with IT policies, standards and guidelines
• To identify and exploit synergies with other IT design activity across the organisation
• To agree and enforce a framework for standards and procedures for the programme of work, ensuring quality and consistency of IT deliverables
• Conduct final analysis / evaluation of major programmes of work and present to senior management to ensure that technical benefits are realised, and appropriate continuous improvement activity is generated where required
• Provide general IT consultancy support at all stages of the project lifecycle, including vendor and supplier selection, best practice on development, and organisational design
• Contribute to the management and continuous improvement of the Solution Architecture function, and the overall process of architecture, within Standard Life From April 2010 to April 2013 (3 years 1 month) Edinburgh, United KingdomSolutions Architect @ I worked in the Core Technology team of Standard Life's Group IT function. This team acts as the applied research function for the group, and is responsible for setting application technology direction, evolving the company's SOA and the frameworks which underpin it, and providing low-level technical support to development teams.
My role predominantly involved evaluating new development technologies for use across Standard Life Group, with a view to meeting the needs of both the development community and business units.
I also helped development teams in adoption of these technologies in a range of ways, including creation of documentation and guidance on best practices, code frameworks, designing and writing training courses with external training organisations and mentoring development teams.
Whilst in the team, I was involved in the introduction of WebSphere Portal into the organisation, and was also the resident expert in Rich Internet Applications and client side scripting. In June 2009, I organised the largest (at that time) dojo community event worldwide, attended by Dylan Schiemann (co-founder of the toolkit). From June 2005 to April 2010 (4 years 11 months) Senior Systems Developer @ Application developer and technical lead, working on a range of technologies including:
- Java / JEE
- .Net / C#
- COBOL II (IBM z/OS)
- Visual Basic
- IBM ASF scripting From 1996 to 2004 (8 years)
BSc Computing & IT @ The Open University From 2015 to 2019 Viewforth High School From 1984 to 1990 Greg Watson is skilled in: Enterprise Architecture, IT Strategy, Solution Architecture, Architecture, SOA, Java Enterprise Edition, Governance, Architectures, Agile Methodologies, System Architecture, E-commerce, Project Management, Integration, Stakeholder Management, Leadership, Management, Requirements Gathering, Analysis
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension