Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com.) @
University of Madras
Chief Financial Officer
Highly accomplished, results driven senior accounting and financial management executive with more than 30 years of progressive global experience in finance and operations management within start-ups and global multi-billion dollar organizations. Proven ability to strategically align financial objectives with business operations that drive growth, improved customer experience, increased efficiency and bottom-line profit. Strong track
Chief Financial Officer
Highly accomplished, results driven senior accounting and financial management executive with more than 30 years of progressive global experience in finance and operations management within start-ups and global multi-billion dollar organizations. Proven ability to strategically align financial objectives with business operations that drive growth, improved customer experience, increased efficiency and bottom-line profit. Strong track record of developing and implementing financial controls and processes. Proven ability to lead organizations through internal and external change. Possesses solid leadership, communication and interpersonal skills to establish rapport with customers and all levels of staff and management.
• Accounting & Financial Management • Business Planning & analysis • Global Operations Efficiencies
• Controllership & Decision Support • Growth Strategy Development • Financial Analysis & Reporting
• IPO, M&A & Investor Relations • Performance Measurement • Resource Management
Vice President - Finance & Administration @ As CFO and member of the FedEx Officer team, I lead a team of 35 people to manage the profitability, financial reporting and controls and Safety and Sustainability for FedEx SmartPost that handles 2 million packages a day.
• Developed a team of highly engaged leaders, within and outside my area of reporting
• Maintained double digit operating margins and managed ROIC in a highly competitive environment through innovative pricing solutions combined with effective cost actions
• Consistently achieved high planning and forecasting accuracy (variance under 1% of profit and revenue estimate) in a rapidly evolving ecommerce retail environment
• Led the development and implementation of revenue strategies which added one additional business stream and improved customer acquisitions on existing streams
• Developed and implemented an enterprise best in class Business Compliance and Controls monitoring and reporting tool using a risk based approach that maximized testing efficiency and conserved resources
• Collaborated with Operations in driving business process improvements through Quality Councils which improved service and safety
• Collaborated with Operations to deliver an industry leading DART rate (a key industry safety measure for Days Away Restricted Transferred)
• Improved waste to landfill by over 50% in one year and achieved annualized savings of $1 million on recycling
• Strategized and executed financial and people realignment to deliver optimal organizational change
• Leading the charitable contributions committee for SmartPost From August 2012 to Present (3 years 5 months) Managing Director - Accounting & Controls @ As a key executive of the Worldwide Controllers team, managed corporate financial reporting, forecasting, SOX compliance, global revenue accounting and controls and global statutory reporting. Provided strategic and tactical direction to Revenue Operations and Controller departments in the International Regions, US and FedEx Services and significantly improved efficiency and accuracy of reporting. Led a team of 25 people.
• Led the Development of a strategic vision for a best in class Ship To Collect function known as GCPI being implemented globally to realize efficiencies over a 3-5 year period.
• Led the Worldwide Controller’s team in the implementation of Oracle AR across 49 international entities spanning APAC, EMEIA and LAC
• Co-sponsored and championed an Order to Cash (OTC) BPO project for EMEIA with targeted savings of $5 million over 5 years
• Integrated the financial reporting for new acquisitions into existing corporate revenue and controls processes
• Implemented Ground Turnkey, a critical accounting process, designed for a transactional environment and allows a standardized factoring methodology across all operating companies in the enterprise
• Improved forecasting accuracy through process improvements, re-designing methodology and placing accountability
• Evaluated and presented potential financial and Revenue systems impacts and risks, with action plans for mitigation, due to certain countries’ potential exit from the Euro Zone
• Significantly improved the Corporate Financial Reporting, SOX and audit processes by eliminating duplication, automation and shortening the information supply chain, to provide outstanding reporting and compliance
• Improved International and Domestic wedge (Revenue leakage) and presented the metrics in the BARC meetings
• Significantly improved Employee Survey scores, which was the highest for the department since 2006 - leadership index was 100 From January 2011 to August 2012 (1 year 8 months) Greater Memphis AreaManaging Director - Finance @ Managed the Ground segment forecasting and Corporate and Ground Board Slides. Led a team of 16 people.
• Improved Revenue Forecasting process by leading the team to partner with Rating and Strategic Planning groups in building robust tools for analysis
• Improved the quality and content of executive presentations such as Peak Planning and Strategic Sales Meetings by meeting with senior executives and understanding their requirements
• Improved the quality of Long Range Forecasting assumptions and directed the development of Best/Worst/Most Likely scenarios that enabled better executive decision making
• Directed the team to reduce the weekly guess process timeline by managing the information supply chain
• Started a process of cross training employees across disciplines with the objective of creating at least one back up for every position
• Initiated a QDM project to improve the accuracy, presentation quality and timeliness of the Board Slides From April 2010 to January 2011 (10 months) Greater Pittsburgh AreaSenior Manager @ Responsible for Operational Accounting including revenue, contracts, leasing, corporate reporting, intercompany transactions, ACQ, quarterly reporting, accounting policies and procedures, facilitated external audit and CSM process, staff development and training and development of departmental performance metrics.
• Led several revenue projects, major ones being NAFTA, Turnkey, Bill on Delivery and Dimensional Rating
• Led an inter-opco team to establish and improve retail revenue controls to reduce the $3.5 million annual revenue write-off
• Developed and led the enterprise adoption of “rating based” Vs “invoicing based” factoring of receivables
• Led and implemented several process improvements using QDM to automate, improve controls, accuracy and reporting and eliminated over 40 hours of manual work every month
o Development of a package level revenue reporting tool
o ManagePath implemented for Real estate automating workflows and accounting
o Controls for van inventory
o Controls and reporting to identify billing errors prior to customer invoicing
o Automated fuel inventory accounting
o Automation of manual work for ACQ
• Won two QDM in Action awards.
• Significantly improved controls related to Unbilled Receivables, Claims, Van Inventory, Facility rent expense approval and Real Estate Taxes, virtually eliminating accrual misses
• Trained and coached staff across multiple job functions, developing talent evidenced by excellent performance that secured them a Five Star, 3 Excellence and 1 Loyalty award
• Achieved consistent high scores on employee engagement for all years – one of the highest in the company
• Delivered improved accuracy and identified and fixed accounting policies to comply with GAAP From March 2005 to April 2010 (5 years 2 months) Greater Pittsburgh AreaCFO @ • Led a global team of 55 people in managing the finance and controllership functions, investor relations, information technology, corporate governance, internal audit and corporate secretary duties at this $300 million global IT services corporation, with operations in USA, EMEIA and APAC
• Served as member of the Board of Directors Audit Committee
• Successfully integrated two acquisitions, improved profitability through cost actions From August 2001 to July 2004 (3 years) Greater Pittsburgh AreaVice President @ Led and established an offshore based start up shared service for Oracle financials accounting functions for GE
Transitioned accounting processes to the shared service center from GE businesses using six sigma methodology developed led by me From October 1999 to August 2001 (1 year 11 months) Greater Pittsburgh AreaConsultant @ • Responsible for running monthly/periodic closes and financial reporting using Oracle GL and Fixed Assets
• Implemented the Oracle Fixed Assets version upgrade From 1999 to 1999 (less than a year) Partner @ Established and managed this 130 people national public accounting practice as head of the Southern India regional office From September 1989 to July 1998 (8 years 11 months) Chennai Area, IndiaAssistant Administrative Officer @ Managed the accounting and financial reporting for the divisional office. Managed a team of 14 people From 1986 to 1989 (3 years) Mumbai Area, India
FCA, Audit, Accounting, Taxation, Corporate Law @ Institute of Chartered Accountants of India From 1983 to 1986 Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com.), Accounting and Business/Management @ University of Madras From 1981 to 1984 Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com.), Accounting and Business/Management @ University of Madras From 1981 to 1984 High School/Secondary Diplomas and Certificates @ DAV Higher Secondary School, Chennai From 1979 to 1981 CPA, Accounting, Business, Regulation, Audit @ American Institute of Certified Public AccountantsBoston MatriculationBoston Matriculation Gopal Krishnamurthi is skilled in: Finance, Auditing, Accounting, Transportation, Operations Management, Process Improvement, Business Process Improvement, Supply Chain, Executive Management, PeopleSoft, Operational Excellence, Change Management, Supply Chain Management, Vendor Management, Sarbanes-Oxley Act
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension