Chief Information Security Officer @ Digital Transformation Team - Italian Government
Rocket Internet SE @
I’ve been tinkering with systems engineering and the people who make the magic happen for a long time. My passion is creating and leading teams of creative people to deliver products that are so great they become invisible – they just work. I’m a big fan of self-organization and love helping teams evolve into that elusive state
I’ve been tinkering with systems engineering and the people who make the magic happen for a long time. My passion is creating and leading teams of creative people to deliver products that are so great they become invisible – they just work. I’m a big fan of self-organization and love helping teams evolve into that elusive state of flow where products, skills, and ideas just materialize.
My career took me from startups to large corporations and back and I’ve found joy on both ends of the spectrum. I get excited about owning an entire business and love getting immersed in the many different aspects of a problem. I also love having the volume and scale to have immediate impact on the lives of thousands (if not millions) of people. At the end of the day it’s the beauty of all the pieces falling into place when everything works perfectly. And the adrenaline of getting things back up when they don’t. It’s complicated.
In my previous life I was fortunate to spend time with a lot of smart people trying to solve all sorts of interesting problems. I’ve learned what it takes to actually deliver a product that people really like. I’ve learned what it takes to build a great team and to keep it headed in the right direction. I've learned what it takes to help people get a little better every day.
When I am not working or causing problems you can find me writing about random stuff, hacking, building, making or going out and having a good time around the world. I am very easy to get a hold of - feel free to reach out.
Send me an e-mail at [email protected] or hit me up at @gvarisco on Twitter.
VP Security @ Responsible for overseeing the security architecture and compliance of Rocket Internet's massive, globally distributed network.
I'm responsible for building world-class security capabilities that protect Rocket Internet’s assets (including its ventures' portfolio). All aspects of corporate security, including information protection, ID management, network security, threat analysis, emergency response, security policy, and audit/compliance programs fall under my purview.
- Previous roles:
* Head of Global Security: January 2014 - June 2015
* Sr. Systems Engineer: June 2012 - December 2013
Configuration Management, DevOps, TechOps, DbOps, System Architecture, Scalability Engineering, System Engineering, Automation Engineering, Network Security, Linux Security, Secure System Architecture and IT From June 2012 to Present (3 years 7 months) Berlin Area, GermanyInfrastructure Consultant @ Worked for Red Hat consulting services team. They lead on-site delivery and implement great technology that delivers freedom, flexibility, choice, and superior performance.
In this role, I've gained an understanding of our customer's infrastructure and business issues and made recommendations appropriate to their environments. An ideal role for building my core base of knowledge and work in a fast-paced environment promoting Red Hat solutions.
Primary job responsibilities
* Be the subject matter expert at the client site, addressing the technical, development, or strategic IT needs
* Manage problem identification, system architecture definition, software specification and design, testing, and deployment of open source solutions
* Adapt with changing customer requirements
* Respond to incidents, escalations, and exceptions in a professional manner
- Red Hat Certified Engineer and JBoss Certified Application Administrator.
- Red Hat Certified Instructor (RHCI), JBoss Certified Instructor (JBCI). From December 2011 to June 2012 (7 months) Milan Area, ItalySr. Operations Engineer @ Managing, scaling, implementing, creating, designing, and troubleshooting an always on internet facing service.
• System Administrators' senior member of technical staff
• Amazon Web Services' senior member of technical staff (in charge of their cloud infrastructure based on Route 53, EC2, CloudFront)
• Puppet configuration management & templating
• Design, implementation and assessment of corporate's new datacenter (made up of HP BladeSystems)
• Acting as a DevOp, reviewing business technology processes with the aim to improve the service reliability. From April 2011 to December 2011 (9 months) Systems Engineer @ My biggest responsibility was to turn their mobile technology (bundled in a VoIP client available for Nokia, Android and iOS-based devices) into a marketable, enterprise-grade, solution. Something provided both as SaaS (software as a service, hosted) and as a fully configurable appliance installable on your organization's servers, meeting a wide range of security and regulatory requirements. Different needs that were handled by creating a platform with consistent support across bare metal, virtualized servers and the cloud, with flexibility to move applications on demand ensuring the quality of service, high availability, failover and scalability.
All aspects of system administration – monitoring, security, automation, backups, performance tuning. Maintenance of Red Hat/Debian engineering labs, JBoss QA lab, VoIP infrastructure.
Administration of internal/external servers and services (Windows and Linux servers), ensuring NOC 24x7 operating, counseling developers, cooperating with internal IT teams, purchasing computer and office equipment, supervising daily office operations.
Direct support for Linux, Mac and Microsoft desktops/laptops and user access to corporate network and applications both on the network as well as through remote VPN access.
Technical Project manager, QA and Release engineer for their iOS-based (Apple) product: PrivateGSM From April 2010 to April 2011 (1 year 1 month) Web Engineer @ * In charge of their external websites' (EMEA, APAC, LATAM, NA) maintenance and development. I worked close to Marketing and IT teams to define strong guidelines and standards to be adopted in their external-facing properties and projects.
* In charge of the whole JBossWS' technical infrastructure, made up of RHEL-based systems and Hudson instances for QA purposes.
I've also been the Community Liaison for Red Hat Italy. From September 2007 to March 2010 (2 years 7 months) Milan Area, ItalyHighly Open Participation Student @ Google's first contest to introduce pre-university students to the many contributions that make open source software development possible. I produced a variety of open source code, documentation, training materials and user experience research for the ten participating organizations. From November 2007 to February 2008 (4 months) Intern - Global Professional Services @ I worked for the Red Hat Professional Services' consultant group. We offered a full set of consulting services for each phase of an IT deployment from assessment and implementation right through to upgrade planning. From June 2007 to August 2007 (3 months)
Computer Science @ ITIS Molinari From 2003 to 2008 Gianluca Varisco is skilled in: Open Source, Linux, RedHat, Red Hat Linux, Virtualization, Linux System Administration, Cloud Computing, High Availability, System Administration, CentOS, Puppet, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Security, RHEL, Fedora
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension