Commercial CFO @ Huntington National Bank (Formerly FirstMerit Bank)
Commercial CFO @ FirstMerit Bank
BSBA, Accounting @
Xavier University - School of Business Administration
Financial Executive with a solid record of delivering multimillion-dollar profit margin improvements and increases in operating capital for both commercial banking and savings bank institutions. Proficient in managing the turn-around of struggling operations by optimizing efficiencies, increasing revenues, and maximizing shareholder value while building strong team participation. Broad-based experience and well-developed skill set across multiple finance and
Financial Executive with a solid record of delivering multimillion-dollar profit margin improvements and increases in operating capital for both commercial banking and savings bank institutions. Proficient in managing the turn-around of struggling operations by optimizing efficiencies, increasing revenues, and maximizing shareholder value while building strong team participation. Broad-based experience and well-developed skill set across multiple finance and operational functions, including accounting, auditing, IT, HR, and marketing. Strong negotiator and communicator with recognized strengths in team-building and leadership by example. CPA.
- Profitability Measurement / Improvement
- Management / Board of Directors Reporting
- Acquisition Integration
- Strategic Planning / Budgeting
- Process Improvement / Efficiency
- Staff / Team Development and Leadership
Senior Vice President / Chief Financial Officer @ Responsible for bank-wide financials reporting, profitability reporting, and planning / forecasts, which included the retail, commercial, mortgage banking, wealth management, and insurance agency lines of business while providing the data and infrastructure that is used to fulfill these responsibilities. Provided monthly financial reporting and supporting analysis to bank's Board of Directors as well as advice and counsel to various bank and corporate senior and executive management.
• Instituted financial and analytical disciplines on many levels as the organization grew from $8.5 billion in assets in 2009 to over $14 billion in 2014 while achieving significant growth in net income from $41 million to $136 million during this same period.
• Implemented new budgeting / forecasting processes resulting in corporation earnings / EPS meeting or exceeding plan by 3% - 5% for four consecutive years; earnings had not met plan expectations in the four years prior to my joining the bank.
• Managed team through integration and execution of five acquisitions over five year period resulting in EPS accretion projections being achieved or exceeded for each combination.
• Vastly improved procurement / vendor management function by centralizing contract repository, standardization of vendor contracts and purchasing / bidding / negotiating processes, resulting in over $3 million (3%+) in savings associated with supplies, equipment, and service contracts.
• Improved internal reliability of financial data by expanding standard internal financial and profitability reporting through implementation of new IT systems and processes utilizing Hyperion and SAS.
• Provided key leadership and direction to finance team that had experienced three new CFO's in the last four years, thereby eliminating turnover within the team. Established "trusted advisor" framework providing each line of business financial and advisory support required to grow their respective business. From 2009 to 2014 (5 years) Director - Financial Institutions / Finance Operations @ Directed Finance Operations and Financial Services practices for Cleveland/Pittsburgh region for client companies of all sizes. Insured client satisfaction, quality assurance, staff utilization and development and project profitability throughout the delivery process including Loan Review, Regulatory Compliance, Business Intelligence Database solutions, Technical accounting, Financial reporting, Internal audit and Tax Planning.
• Increased Cleveland / Pittsburgh regional office revenue generated through services provided to financial institutions from 30% to 45%.
• Advised private equity firms to gain faster than projected acquisition EBITDA and return on investment. From 2004 to 2008 (4 years) Executive Vice President / Chief Financial Officer @ Directed all finance and operational areas including HR and IT. Ultimately accountable for internal controls, regulatory compliance, asset-liability management, risk management, and investment portfolio. Planned/administered annual budget, organizational policies and procedures and internal audits. Forecasted interest rates and all expenses; analyzed, prepared and presented financial statements and reports to Board of Directors and stockholders; directed all capital stock related transactions. Served on Board of Directors.
• Led bank’s successful turn-around resulting from the removal of a Memorandum of Understanding ("MOU") imposed jointly by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation ("FDIC") and State Division of Banks in 1991 that severely constrained operations. Achieved status change from a state to a national bank charter which reduced supervisory costs by eliminating secondary oversight by the FDIC, and allowed less complicated process for branch expansion..
• Doubled operating capital (196% increase) through orchestration and joint development of prospectus for two stock offerings.
• Modernized operations through leadership of Bank IT initiatives including two complete core application conversions. Propelled growth through branch expansion and Introduction of enhanced services including internet banking, online cash management services and an in-house telephone banking system. From 1993 to 2004 (11 years) Vice President / Director Corporate Planning. @ Began professional career as a Cost Manager with Sugardale Foods, Canton, Ohio and then joined Akron City Hospital, Akron, Ohio, as Cost Systems Manager. Recruited to TransOHIO Savings Bank, Cleveland, Ohio as Manager Cost Accounting, and subsequently promoted to Vice President / Director Corporate Planning. From 1987 to 1993 (6 years)
MBA @ Baldwin-Wallace CollegeBSBA, Accounting @ Xavier University - School of Business AdministrationCertified Public Accountant, Ohio Frank Zink is skilled in: Internal Controls, Internal Audit, Sarbanes-Oxley Act, Enterprise Risk Management, Banking, Risk Management, Forecasting, Due Diligence, Financial Accounting, Budgets, Profitability Improvement, Priocess Improvement
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension