I inject entrepreneurialism, drive, and global perspective into the ventures I launch or invest in. In a 13-year career trajectory, I have lived and worked on three different continents. After a decade of globe-trotting, in 2009 I established a base in London, and am now actively investing (across multiple sectors) in high-growth ventures through my Venture Capital
I inject entrepreneurialism, drive, and global perspective into the ventures I launch or invest in. In a 13-year career trajectory, I have lived and worked on three different continents. After a decade of globe-trotting, in 2009 I established a base in London, and am now actively investing (across multiple sectors) in high-growth ventures through my Venture Capital business unit and in stable SMEs looking to exit through my Private Equity business unit.
• serial entrepreneur: I invest growth capital in and work with founders/management teams to scale up high-growth ventures. I also invest private equity to execute a partial or full buyout in more stable SMEs.
• investment savvy: In the past 24 months, I have personally invested in and launched 7 new ventures in the UK, alongside other angel investors and private equity firms.
• technology and innovation focus: I am passionate about businesses that have innovated in their sector and that leverage technology to scale up.
• value driven and socially conscious: In 2008, the University of Oxford awarded me the Skoll Scholarship, a scholarship awarded annually to 5 promising “social entrepreneurs” out of 400+ applicants.
Area of Focus: My area of focus is in developing and scaling up start-ups and SMEs, as well as investing in more mature SMEs where shareholders are looking to exit.
Extracurricular activities include:
In 2013, I became a columnist for Business Matters and Management Today, two of the UK's leading SME business magazines. I write regular columns on entrepreneurship, venture capital, innovation, and challenges that we entrepreneurs face in starting, scaling, and exiting businesses. My columns can be viewed at http://www.bmmagazine.co.uk/author/faisal-butt/ and http://www.managementtoday.co.uk/news/1217208/column-become-smart-investor/.
I also write a regular blog on entrepreneurship, venture capital, SMEs, and innovation - at www.faisalbutt.com.
Founder & CEO @ Property Innovation Labs (Pi Labs) is Europe's first property innovation accelerator programme. Located in the iconic Second Home building in East London, Pi Labs will provide our participants access to a global network of property and technology entrepreneurs. We believe that Pi Labs will be the platform that creates the next Zoopla, Airbnb, and Nest. Pi Labs has a strategic partnership with VC firm Spire Ventures and global real estate firm Cushman & Wakefield.
We are building a dream team. If you're interested in joining us as a mentor, sponsor, associate, or investor, get in touch at [email protected] Applications for the accelerator open in November 2014. Visit us at www.pilabs.co.uk. From July 2014 to Present (1 year 6 months) London, United KingdomFounder & CEO @ Formerly known as HBRE, Spire Ventures is a private equity and venture capital house that historically focused on property related businesses and now manages a multi-sector mandate on behalf of its investors. Founded in 2010 by entrepreneur Faisal Butt, Spire has grown from strength to strength as the firm’s reputation for its human capital based approach to venture capital and private equity investment continues to attract the most talented entrepreneurs. Spire was founded on the basic premise that success in our target sectors is about vision, innovation, and most importantly, execution by stellar management teams. Today, our portfolio consists of businesses from a range of sectors, including property services, interior design, professional services, investment management, and consumer digital. You can learn more about us at www.spireventures.co.uk. From September 2010 to Present (5 years 4 months) Founder @ PERE Ventures is the personal investment vehicle of investor Faisal Butt. PERE Ventures invests in partnership with other private equity and venture capital groups, including Hamilton Bradshaw and 90 North, amongst others. PERE Ventures also invests with selected high net worth individuals (HNWIs) who have sector experience in the target company. PERE Ventures invests early stage venture capital and growth capital and plays an active role as a board advisor in property, technology, and related businesses. From December 2012 to Present (3 years 1 month) London, United KingdomVenture Partner @ The Venture Partners are a group of outstanding business leaders, entrepreneurs and private investors who invest on a deal-by-deal basis alongside the funds managed by the Ventures team at Octopus Investments and provide hands on support to their portfolio of fast growing businesses. From January 2014 to Present (2 years) Investor & Non-Executive Director @ www.hubblehq.com
Hubble is an online marketplace to rent office space; we make renting your office easy. From September 2014 to Present (1 year 4 months) London, United KingdomInvestor & Non-Executive Director @ With 125 years of collective experience, Sons & Co. have an exemplary track-record in prime residential development and continue to exceed clients' and investors' expectations by producing the world’s most luxurious and dignified homes throughout Central London.
With commercial awareness, distinguished development experience, and an institutional approach - the management team expertly guide projects through each phase of residential development, (including acquisition, development, design, and exit) on behalf of discerning clients and investors. From November 2013 to Present (2 years 2 months) London, United KingdomInvestor & Non-Executive Director @ Leadership and Management Ltd (also known as L+M) is an innovative and entrepreneurial project and construction consultancy that brings inspirational leadership and intelligent management to a wide range of property investment and asset management projects. Great believers in driving value, as well as cost, we deploy the right resources and apply the very best technical expertise to our clients’ projects from day one. From June 2013 to Present (2 years 7 months) London, United KingdomInvestor @ Ivy Gate is a new residential estate agency business based in Central and South West London. Our concept is simple; to provide all of our customers with their own experienced Client Relationship Manager to guide them through every stage of the process, from marketing to moving.
We aim to change the perception of the industry by focusing on honesty, transparency and innovation. From March 2013 to Present (2 years 10 months) London, United KingdomInvestor & Non-Executive Director @ An interior design business focusing on high end residential interiors for both developers and private clients. The Founders are the former management team of an international award winning furnishing and luxury interior design company. With a collective 20 years of experience in the industry, the team is committed to delivering the very best in interior design and furnishings. From August 2012 to Present (3 years 5 months) London, United KingdomInvestor & Partner @ 90 North Real Estate Partners is an independent real estate investment advisory firm, serving clients wishing to invest in Shari’ah compliant manner. As your partner, we have preservation and enhancement of investor wealth as our central focus and concern.
From its headquarters in London’s Mayfair, 90 North identifies and executes real estate investment and development transactions for its investment partners.
90 North seeks to build long term partnerships with investors and institutional intermediaries, based on alignment of interests, complete discretion, establishment of trust, exemplary client service and delivering results. From September 2011 to Present (4 years 4 months) Investor & Non-Executive Director @ Leading UK Online Estate Agent - helping residential sellers save millions in fees when selling their home. Raised £1.5m in venture capital funding from Episode 1 Ventures in January 2015. From December 2013 to Present (2 years 1 month) London, United KingdomChairman @ In December 2013, I invested in UK's leading online estate agent. I assembled an exceptional investor group and board, including individuals with experience from Groupon, Wonga, and Digital Property Group. This investment is the beginning of a series of investments I plan to make in digital property and property-related technology businesses in 2014. From December 2013 to January 2015 (1 year 2 months) London, United KingdomDirector @ • Conceptualised, negotiated, and led the establishment of a £100m international joint venture property fund investing in prime London residential real estate
• Led the acquisition of a £45m residential asset in prime Knightsbridge and managed all aspects of the transaction from origination to completion
• Overseeing the ongoing redevelopment of the asset From August 2010 to January 2015 (4 years 6 months) Investment Director @ • Originate, evaluate, and execute private equity and joint venture deals in UK SME business services sector From November 2009 to September 2011 (1 year 11 months) Strategic Consulting Partner @ • Initiated and defined scope of Strategic Consulting Project in close collaboration with James Caan, CEO of Hamilton Bradshaw, a leading SME focused private equity firm
• Selected, organized, and led team of four consultants to achieve project objectives
• Analyzed private equity investment cycle including origination, due diligence, negotiation, closing, & exit
• Identified operational inefficiencies, benchmarked processes with industry best practices, and delivered Strategic Consulting Proposal to CEO
• Led the restructuring of private equity firm, with a focus on consistent investment process, streamlined origination, and portfolio management "value add" From June 2009 to November 2009 (6 months) Co-Founder, The Indus Entrepreneurs, ISB Chapter @ Founding Executive Director of local chapter of world’s largest not for profit organization promoting entrepreneurship From August 2007 to September 2008 (1 year 2 months) Founder @ Founder and CEO of award-winning, socially conscious e-business start-up From January 2003 to September 2007 (4 years 9 months) Business Analyst @ Business Analyst at Fortune 500 Management and IT Consulting firm From September 1999 to January 2002 (2 years 5 months) Greater Los Angeles Area
Masters, Business Administration, Finance @ University of Oxford - Said Business School From 2008 to 2009 BA, Business Economics, Computing @ UCLA From 1995 to 1999 High School Graduation @ International School of Islamabad From 1991 to 1995 Faisal Butt is skilled in: Private Equity, Venture Capital, Investments, Entrepreneur, Entrepreneurship, Financial Modeling, Valuation, Strategy, Mergers, Start-ups, Due Diligence, Corporate Finance, Business Strategy