Principal UI and Data Visualization Engineer @ Workday
Principal Data Visualization Engineer @ Platfora
Founder / Chief Editor @ Html5CanvasTutorials
Hi there, my name's Eric Rowell. I'm the founder of Coder Lifestyle, founder of Html5CanvasTutorials, the creator of the KineticJS library, author of HTML5 Canvas Cookbook, and the creator of BigOCheatSheet. I've worked in the Tech industry for about five years while at Yahoo, LinkedIn, and Platfora, and I've also worked in the Transportation industry for two
Hi there, my name's Eric Rowell. I'm the founder of Coder Lifestyle, founder of Html5CanvasTutorials, the creator of the KineticJS library, author of HTML5 Canvas Cookbook, and the creator of BigOCheatSheet. I've worked in the Tech industry for about five years while at Yahoo, LinkedIn, and Platfora, and I've also worked in the Transportation industry for two years while at BNSF Railway. I'm currently leading the data visualization efforts at Platfora.
I've seen it all, from a multi-billion dollar company IT departmet (BNSF), a huge struggling tech company (Yahoo), a mid-sized, fast growing tech company (LinkedIn), to a small startup making huge waves in the big data industry (Platfora).
Lead Data Visualization Engineer @ - Leading our FE data visualization efforts
- Designed and created our next generation rendering engine, which is faster and more scalable than our previous engine, has a better user experience, and supports multiple renderers, such as HTML5 Canvas, WebGL, and SVG
- Improved Vizboard page performance by better managing network requests and improving data cube transformation algorithms
- Created Canteen, which is an open source HTML5 Canvas Testing library
- Created Tabulous, which is an incredibly fast HTML table renderer that can render millions of data cells in the blink of an eye From September 2014 to Present (1 year 4 months) Founder / Chief Editor @ Created Html5CanvasTutorials.com, which provides free HTML5 canvas tutorials and labs, and serves about 700,000 unique page views per month. Monetized with Google Adsense and BuySellAds. Each tutorial and lab includes a live demo and editable code via CodeMirror.
http://www.html5canvastutorials.com From November 2010 to Present (5 years 2 months) Senior II Web Developer @ - Worked on various components of the home page
- Created a site-wide framework aimed at accelerating user growth and engagement
- Worked on homepage front end performance
- Created Lixr, which is a bookmarklet that enables developers, designers, managers, pms, and QA to manage A/B tests on the client side, for local developement, staging, and production.
- Created the Lego front-end framework
- Lead web dev on the new Homepage built with Dust, jQuery, Backbone, Sass, and Scala
- Architected the new homepage feed
http://www.kineticjs.com From March 2011 to July 2014 (3 years 5 months) Frontend Engineer @ Front End Engineer for the Yahoo Video Platform team, which delivered millions of streams each day.
- Worked closely with designers to create rich user experiencess
- Supported all major browsers and devices, including Chrome, Firefox, Safari, IE6 through IE10, iOS phones and tablets, and Android phones and tablets.
- Created several widgets used inside the player, including a related video carousel, overlay screens, and a profiler overlay which graphed different metrics over time using HTML5 canvas, including bit rates, dropped frames, etc, along with performance metrics so that you could see how well the player performed for a given player instance.
- Lead our efforts in accessibility by providing hidden controls accessible by screen readers, creating hotkey shortcuts, and building a focus manager that automatically placed focus on specific DOM elements depending on the action that was taken
- Worked on internationalization to support dozens of languages, including RTL (right to left) orientations From July 2011 to November 2012 (1 year 5 months) Senior System Developer @ Lead our data visualization efforts with Yard Viz, a train station simulator. From 2009 to 2011 (2 years)