Bachelor of Creative Industries @
Queensland University of Technology
Wordsmith. Cultural Driver. Influencer. Tastemaker.
As a writer/editor, content strategist, and brand communications specialist, I’ve worked for various companies from the likes of VICE Media to Coca Cola to Disney to Interview Magazine to Huffington Post to NPR to Slate to MINI to Red Bull to Apple to digital agency KKLD*, across three continents - in NYC,
Wordsmith. Cultural Driver. Influencer. Tastemaker.
As a writer/editor, content strategist, and brand communications specialist, I’ve worked for various companies from the likes of VICE Media to Coca Cola to Disney to Interview Magazine to Huffington Post to NPR to Slate to MINI to Red Bull to Apple to digital agency KKLD*, across three continents - in NYC, Berlin, London and Brisbane, Australia. I specialize in telling stories, fostering engagement and creating a heightened level of awareness about branded content, digital campaigns, trends, innovation, culture, lifestyle, art, design, fashion, music and travel, from the rooftops of NYC to abandoned spy stations in Berlin to giraffe hotels in Kenya, and all the hotspots in between.
Editorial & Social Media Manager @ • Developing and implementing global editorial and social media strategy for their client Coca Cola
• Producing global master content calendars amplifying the BVA and curating content across all digital brand channels to deliver a holistic consumer experience
• Ongoing community management and optimization of overall brand communication and social media engagement based on insights
• Social media tracking, analysis & evaluation From March 2015 to Present (8 months) Berlin Area, GermanyEditor @ Freelance writer and editor for TASCHEN, one of the most successful fine art book publishers in the world, distributed around the world and published in over 20 languages. From May 2015 to Present (6 months) Berlin Area, GermanyWriter & Editor @ Writer & Editor for Freunde von Freunden (FvF), an independent and international publication documenting inspiring people from diverse creative and cultural backgrounds. Their content aspires to present multifaceted personal perspectives that offer impressions of cities, various artistic industries and international urban living. By introducing real people and stories from around the world with an honest and authentic approach, FvF attracts a global readership and remains borderless. From February 2015 to Present (9 months) Berlin Area, GermanyWriter & Editor @ Writer for NPR, a leading global media company with offices all over the world from Washington D.C. and New York to Shanghai and Kabul which delivers breaking news stories from business, politics, health, science, technology, music, arts and culture to millions of readers in every corner of the world. From November 2014 to Present (1 year) Washington D.C. Metro AreaWriter @ Writer for Interview Magazine, founded in 1969 by artist Andy Warhol, featuring intimate conversations between some of the world's biggest celebrities, artists, musicians, and creative thinkers. From May 2014 to Present (1 year 6 months) Greater New York City AreaWriter @ Writer for VICE's new sustainability platform Collectively, where the power of positivity and collaboration make sustainability the new norm. Through celebrating and connecting people, places and cutting edge ideas, its aim is to collectively create the change we need to see in the world. From September 2014 to Present (1 year 2 months) Greater New York City AreaContent Strategist & Marketing Consultant for Crowd DNA @ Content strategist, trend analyst and market consultant for Crowd DNA (http://www.crowddna.com/), an insight and innovation business based in London and Amsterdam, contributing to a research project for their client, Disney. With a firm grip on mainstream youth culture in Germany, I helped provide an insight into the changing life and times of 16-34s in the German market: what challenges they face, what do they think and feel compared to previous generations and any noticeable cultural shifts in the last five years. From July 2014 to Present (1 year 4 months) London, United KingdomEditorial & Social Media Strategist @ • Managing communication concept, social media strategy and content development for a London-based client
• Editorializing and managing content on websites and social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Google Plus)
• Community management across all online and social media platforms
• Brainstorming innovative campaign ideas
• Social media tracking and SEO
Die Taikonauten is a Berlin-based creative agency with international project experience. The focus of their work lies in conception, design and development of new digital experiences. One of their main tasks include the creation of websites, mobile apps and custom online software solutions - whether for mobile devices, tablets or desktop computers. They are focused on high usability and maximum performance to provide added values to users as to our clients for the most efficient conversion.
Specialties: Conception, Mobile Design, Web Design, Media Design, Development, Programming, Apps, Responsive Design, Information Architecture
http://www.dietaikonauten.com From May 2014 to Present (1 year 6 months) Berlin Area, GermanyWriter @ Writer for Slate, an online magazine combining insight and humor in thoughtful analyses of current events, politics, news, business, technology, and culture. From April 2014 to Present (1 year 7 months) Greater New York City AreaBlog Writer @ Writer for The Huffington Post Blog, writing about culture, lifestyle, fashion, entertainment, travel, music, technology, art, design and innovation.
The Huffington Post is an American online news aggregator and blog founded by Arianna Huffington, Kenneth Lerer, Andrew Breitbart and Jonah Peretti. The site offers news, blogs, and original content and covers politics, business, entertainment, environment, technology, popular media, lifestyle, culture, comedy, healthy living, women's interests, and local news. From October 2013 to Present (2 years 1 month) London, United KingdomWriter @ Writer for VICE. Launched in 1994, VICE has since expanded into a leading global youth media company with bureaus in over 30 countries. VICE operates the world’s premier original online video destination, VICE.COM, an international network of digital channels, a television production studio, a magazine, a record label, an in-house creative services agency and a book-publishing division. VICE’s digital channels include The Creators Project, dedicated to the arts and creativity, Motherboard, covering cultural happenings in technology, and Noisey, a music discovery channel. To date, VICE boasts over 60 established shows that cover everything from current events to sex to investigative reporting to music to kittens.
http://www.vice.com/ From September 2013 to Present (2 years 2 months) New York CityWriter @ Writer for PSFK, a collaborative global trend spotting resource for business professionals and trend watchers for marketing or consumer trends and business ideas in US, Europe and Asia. PSFK's publication, PSFK.com, is a go-to source for new ideas for 1.5m creative professionals from around the world each month. From March 2014 to Present (1 year 8 months) New York CityWriter @ Writer for Atlas Obscura, the definitive guide to the world's hidden wonders, uncovering unusual and overlooked places not found in your average guidebook. From March 2014 to Present (1 year 8 months) Berlin Area, GermanyThe Creators Project Staff Writer @ Writer for VICE and Intel's The Creators Project, a global celebration of art and technology, founded by a revolutionary partnership between VICE and Intel, Intel a world leader in computing innovation and VICE the world's leading youth media company.
TCP celebrates visionary artists across multiple disciplines who are using technology in innovative ways to push the boundaries of creative expression and seeks to inspire new and emerging artists by showcasing the infinite possibilities presented by the advancement of modern technology. With print, television, online, music, events and a feature films divisions operating in over 30 countries, VICE is the voice of global youth culture, and is proud to have showcased more than 500 artists from all around the world including Karen O, M83, Benh Zeitlin, Animal Collective, The xx, Chris Milk, Florence and the Machine, Spike Jonze, Amon Tobin, Matt Pyke, Anthony Wong, Supermarche, United Visual Artists, Sticky Monster Lab, Takeshi Murata, Andrew Huang, Vega Zaishi Wang, Mick Rock, David Bowie and Barney Clay. From September 2013 to Present (2 years 2 months) New York CityContent Producer @ Content producer for Protein's daily feed, showcasing emerging ideas, projects, trends and innovations from around the world and featuring creativity from a diverse range of artists, marketers, musicians, designers, scientists and more.
Founded in 1998, Protein has worked with some of the world’s most respected brands to deliver successful multi-platform digital campaigns that provoke engagement by challenging the traditional models of communication. Clients have included Nike, American Apparel, Red Bull, MTV, Absolut Vodka, Levi's, Burberry, Nokia, Samsung, Lacoste, Playstation, Lee Cooper, Grey Goose, Diesel, Hennessy and Sony Ericsson.
The Protein Feed has existed for over 15 years and is the company's primary online editorial platform. From July 2013 to Present (2 years 4 months) London, United KingdomBerlin & NYC Reporter @ Reporting on events and trends in both NYC and Berlin, for Guest of a Guest, a publication that covers high society events, people and places from the ballrooms of the Upper East Side in NYC to fashion week in Tokyo, to the barrooms of Berlin, boasting a following of over 100 000 people.
Since its inception, Guest of a Guest has grown to include a picture database of thousands of people and events all over the world, with concentrations in New York City, the Hamptons, Los Angeles and Washington DC.
Previous names that have been hosted on the site include Gisele Bündchen, Anna Wintour, President Obama, Heidi Klum, Brad Pitt, Justin Timberlake, Halle Berry, Angelina Jolie, Bono, Prince Harry, Donatella Versace, and many more. GofG's readers are young college-educated professionals who work in exciting industries including finance, advertising, PR, fashion, media and entertainment who are the very cultural drivers, influencers and tastemakers that fill our pages. From February 2013 to Present (2 years 9 months) Berlin Area, GermanyWriter @ Interviewing musicians, analysing music industry trends and reporting on events, concerts and albums for iCrates magazine in Berlin.
iCrates was founded in Berlin in 2010 by an international team of writers, illustrators and designers as the first online platform dedicated to music on vinyl. Along with producing daily content delivering interviews, articles and reviews, the site is also known to host workshops and regular events in support of the local independent music scene.
"Music on Vinyl on Paper" Film: http://bit.ly/16tk989 From March 2012 to Present (3 years 8 months) Berlin Area, GermanyCEO / Founder @ As a writer/editor, content strategist, and brand communications specialist, I’ve worked for various companies from the likes of VICE Media to Coca Cola to Disney to Interview Magazine to Huffington Post to NPR to Slate to MINI to Red Bull to Apple to digital agency KKLD*, across three continents - in NYC, Berlin, London and Brisbane, Australia. I specialize in telling stories, fostering engagement and creating a heightened level of awareness about branded content, digital campaigns, trends, innovation, culture, lifestyle, art, design, fashion, music and travel, from the rooftops of NYC to abandoned spy stations in Berlin to giraffe hotels in Kenya, and all the hotspots in between.
Writing & editing
Digital content management
Creative concept strategy & development
Social media strategy and editorial
CMS / HTML / website building & design
Social community development
Social media tracking & analysis
Market research & analysis
SEO From March 2012 to Present (3 years 8 months) Berlin, New York City, BrisbaneEditor, PR Consultant & Digital Content Manager @ • Blogger outreach
• Creating press kits and maintaining press contact databases
• Liaising with international journalists, bloggers, press representatives and the Hip Hop / B-Boying community
• Content management / website CMS
Red Bull Media House GmbH is an international media company, which produces, publishes and distributes print, audiovisual and multimedia material from the World of Red Bull in fields of sports, culture, life style and premium entertainment. In 1987, Red Bull not only launched a completely new product, it created a whole new product category – energy drinks. From day one, Red Bull has been giving wings to people and ideas, setting many milestones in sports and culture.
www.redbullbcone.com/ From May 2013 to June 2013 (2 months) Berlin Area, GermanyOnline Marketing Manager: North America @ • Managing all online marketing activities in USA & Canada
• Coordinating online marketing campaigns and advertisements with Etailers, download portals, gaming forums, tech websites and tradeshows
• Creating press kits, blogger mailings and newsletters
• Liaising with MAGIX’s internal and external community
MAGIX is a leading international provider of high-quality software, online services and digital content for multimedia communications with a mission to help people to express their creativity. Since 1993, MAGIX has developed leading technologies for creating, editing, managing and presenting photos, graphics, videos and music.
MAGIX operates internationally from branches in the USA, Canada, the UK, France, Italy, Spain and the Netherlands. The product range is targeted towards both laymen and professionals alike, going beyond the PC platform to include seamlessly integrated online and mobile applications.
According to its retail sales figures, MAGIX leads in the multimedia software sector in many important European markets, and is one of the most successful competitors in the USA. Fifteen years of market presence and over a thousand awards worldwide testify to the company's power of innovation.
http://www.magix.com From February 2013 to May 2013 (4 months) Berlin Area, GermanyEditorial & Social Media Strategy @ • Writing feature articles for MINI's lifestyle site MINI Space and reaching out to potential interviewees and collaborators
• Editorializing and managing content on the MINI Space website and MINI’s 11 social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Google Plus, MINI Space)
• Editorializing and managing content for Baume & Mercier's social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Google Plus)
• Conducting social media tracking and SEO
• Liaising with MINI's art & design community
• Brainstorming innovative campaign ideas (E.g. NOT NORMAL New Years Resolutions)
KKLD* is a Berlin based creative agency founded in 2003 with international project experience. The agency creates innovative advertising and communication across multiple media channels with a strong focus on social and digital media. Clients include MINI, BMW, Polaroid, Panasonic, Swarovski, Vodafone, Gigaset, Bayer, T-Mobile, FindTheBest, Richemont, Carrera, European Greens.EU and Safilo.
KKLD* is also a co-founder of Architizer.com: http://www.architizer.com/ From August 2012 to February 2013 (7 months) Berlin Area, GermanyEditorial & Content Management @ • Blogger outreach & PR
• Digital marketing for new Unlike App
• Compiling press databases
• Writing and editing Unlike press releases and city guides
Unlike City Guides is the definitive resource for exploring the most exciting cities in the world. Through insider guides, comprehensive listings and mobile apps, Unlike connects tastemakers and trendsetters around the globe with unique, essential and inspiring places.
http://unlike.net/ From July 2012 to August 2012 (2 months) Berlin Area, GermanySocial Media & Digital Marketing Strategist @ • Maintaining VICE Media’s community engagement on social media platforms and online channels (VICE Magazine, Noisey, Motherboard, The Creator's Project, VICE Records, VICE Fashion, etc)
• Conducting blogger outreach and social media tracking
• Creating SEM decks and presentations
• Coordinating VICE events in NYC and liaising with the VICE Media community
VICE was launched in 1994 and has since expanded into a leading global youth media company with bureaus in over 30 countries. VICE operates the world’s premier original online video destination, VICE.COM, an international network of digital channels, a television production studio, a magazine, a record label, an in-house creative services agency and a book-publishing division. VICE’s digital channels include The Creators Project, dedicated to the arts and creativity, Motherboard, covering cultural happenings in technology, and Noisey, a music discovery channel. To date, VICE boasts over 60 established shows that cover everything from current events to sex to investigative reporting to music to kittens.
http://www.vice.com/ From January 2011 to July 2011 (7 months) New York, New YorkMarketing & PR Consultant @ • Sales database management and album postage
• Event assistance with NYC concerts and coordinating travel plans to SXSW
• Writing / editing PR collateral
Ba Da Bing Records is an American record label based in Brooklyn, New York. Ben Goldberg ran the operation from a post office box while taking positions as a publicist for the independent labels Merge and Matador. In 2007, Goldberg moved the label's base to Brooklyn, in the Fort Greene neighborhood.
One of the label's most successful acts is the group Beirut, whose debut album Ba Da Bing released in 2006.
Sharon Van Etten, Damon & Naomi, The Dead C, Gate, Mark Hollis, The Renderers, Soft Landing, Woom
Beirut, Shearwater, Tune-Yards, 1 Mile North, Alger Hiss, The Brunettes, Benjamin Wetherill, Blek Ink, Bright, Patrick Cleandenim, Colossal Yes, Comets on Fire, Adrian Crowley, Devon Williams, Mark Dwinell, Greg Weeks, Hawksley Workman, Essie Jain, James Orr Complex, Juneau, Landing, Mirza, Monaural, Jason Morphew, Park Attack, The Receptionists, Salteen, Six Organs of Admittance, Sons & Daughters, The Spiny Anteaters, Th' Faith Healers, The Weak Moments, Ultrasound, Windy & Carl, Yours Truly, Yume Bitsu From October 2010 to February 2011 (5 months) Brooklyn, New YorkFreelance Writer & Filmmaker @ • Creating video & written blogs to document Sanctuary events and behind-the-scene action
• Developing press kits and promotional material
• Event planning and coordination
The Sanctuary for Independent Media is a telecommunications production facility dedicated to community media arts, hosting screening, production and performance facilities, training in media production and a command post for an emerging community of artists, activists, writers and educators finding its voice in independent media projects.
From Beehive Design Collective showing how to dismantle monoculture to an Australian-born Buddhist nun discussing her work with prison inmates to a presentation of Deep Dish TV's "Shocking and Awful: A Grassroots Response to War in Iraq", while the independent media makers of all kinds who make partnerships with the Sanctuary have their own causes, their methods of reaching their goals are the same: They have delved into the possibilities of multimedia and are taking the reins to show off their work and in some cases, spread a message.
"For filmmakers, musicians, painters, authors and assorted left-leaning activists, the evolving cultural and economic landscape means they need no longer depend on the mainstream mass media to produce, distribute and put a value on their work. The new wave is mobilized by what its participants see as the proliferation of media giants that dispense dumbed-down entertainment and serve as the mouthpiece for conservative policies. At the same time, digital technology opens the way for anyone with a few dollars, a little technical know-how and ambition." (Times Union) From August 2009 to February 2010 (7 months) Troy, New YorkCreative Industries Senior Account Manager @ • Provided accurate enrolment and course guidance to Creative Industries students and prospective students (fFilm, Journalism, Fine Arts, Communication & Fashion)
• Assisted the Academic Services Officer and academics within the Portfolio in routine student administration matters.
Through forward-looking courses, cutting-edge research and a proven track record in growing the creative economy, QUT Creative Industries is leading the way nationally and internationally. The Faculty's academic programs include some of the highest-demand undergraduate courses at QUT. Specialist degrees across a range of creative study areas including Architecture, Design and Visual Arts, Music and Performing Arts, Film, Radio and Television, Writing and Publishing, Advertising and Marketing and Creative Software Applications, equipping graduates with diverse knowledge, creativity and professional skills across a range of industries and practice.
Creativity is no longer seen as a luxury. It's an economic and cultural imperative valued by individuals, society and employers. The arts, media and design are vital components of local and global communities and are central to the development of fulfilling citizenship and social innovation.
Creative Industries invites people to join with them in shaping the future of the creative professions through our specialisations in the arts, media and design fields and in building creative communities through world-leading research, consultancies and partnerships. Staff and students of the Faculty are noted for pushing disciplinary boundaries and many are producing bold experimental work in the digital and live domains. Award winning teachers and courses that offer challenging practical experiences, support the development of Creative Industries students to become global artists, communicators and cultural experts. From November 2007 to August 2009 (1 year 10 months) Brisbane Area, AustraliaMarketing & Sales Coordinator @ • Liaising with media & retail companies and producing sales & marketing collateral for the store.
• Managing client database and sales From May 2004 to August 2009 (5 years 4 months) Brisbane Area, AustraliaMarketing Coordinator @ • Creating a marketing plan and strategy for Apple’s “Back to Uni” Campaign
• Coordinating promotional stalls, training sessions and university lectures
• Won 1st in Australia for “Best Marketing Campaign”
Student Marketing Australia (SMA) is Australia's largest youth marketing agency specializing in tertiary students.
SMA employs students each year to run creative, challenging and professional marketing campaigns on university campus. It's not easy to get a job here - but it's challenging and rewarding when you do.
Past clients are typically iconic brands, such as Apple, Adobe, Commonwealth Bank, Fairfax, Optus, Dairy Farmers, CPA and Kimberly-Clark Australia.
SMA also coordinates:
Lost on Campus: https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/lost-on-campus/id488598630?mt=8
Looking for flatmates? flatmates.com.au
Internships studentinternships.com.au From January 2009 to June 2009 (6 months) Brisbane, AustraliaEditor @ • Editing and proofreading manuscripts for publication
• Assessed manuscripts and provided editorial advice in a sensitive manner to poets and authors
• Collaborating with colleagues on manuscript selections for publication
• Supported the publishing director, marketing and editorial staff with book launches, writing competitions and marketing activity as needed
• Managing author, bookshop and customer accounts
• Liaising with media, author, education, library and distributor contacts
• Conducting and writing interviews on IP authors for the newsletter
IP is Australia's most innovative independent publisher. Based in Brisbane, Australia, IP is a global independent publisher of physical books, e-books and transmedia under its imprints Interactive Press, Glass House Books, IP Kidz, IP Digital and the Digital Publishing Centre. IP is a 'green' and socially conscious enterprise and our workflow in preparing work for publication is almost exclusively paperless.
It specializes in quality titles for adults and children, bringing the best to readers in Australia and overseas and also provides consulting services to corporate and government clients as well as to select individuals seeking professional publishing support. IP distributes in partnership with a host of global companies such as Apple, Amazon, Baker & Taylor, Barnes and Noble, Gardners, Google, Kobo, and Overdrive. It also offers a range of tailored author services to lift manuscripts from something promising to a title that will sell. From August 2007 to April 2009 (1 year 9 months) Brisbane Area, Australia
Bachelor of Marketing @ Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute From 2009 to 2010 Bachelor of Creative Industries, (Journalism, PR, Marketing and Creative Writing) @ Queensland University of Technology From 2007 to 2010 Diploma, Japanese Studies, English @ Clayfield College From 2002 to 2006 Emily Wasik is skilled in: Writing, Editorial, Social Media, Public Relations, Marketing, Advertising, Copywriting, SEO, Digital Marketing, Journalism, Blogging, Proofreading, Promotions, Creative Writing, Creative Strategy, Social Media Outreach, Social Media Marketing, Editing, Facebook, Adobe Creative Suite, Graphic Design, Video Production
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension