Accomplished and results-driven senior level executive with 25+ years of experience in the forest products industry. A rich history of promotions and increasing responsibilities in forest management, supply chain development and general management. A skilled business strategist creating, executing and sustaining initiatives to drive growth in startups. Regarded as an exceptional cross-functional leader with expertise in strategic
Accomplished and results-driven senior level executive with 25+ years of experience in the forest products industry. A rich history of promotions and increasing responsibilities in forest management, supply chain development and general management. A skilled business strategist creating, executing and sustaining initiatives to drive growth in startups. Regarded as an exceptional cross-functional leader with expertise in strategic planning, start-ups, management, operations, procurement, and P&L management to achieve business goals and financial objectives. Excels in demanding roles to significantly grow business utilizing strong technical and analytical skills combined with consensus-building leadership skills. Respected for managing multiple disciplines leading to customer satisfaction.
Director, Fiber Sourcing @ Enviva LP is the largest U.S. producer and exporter of wood pellets. Promoted to lead fiber supply organization which supplies feedstock to Enviva operations in the U.S. and Europe.
• Grow and lead a team of 21 professionals in daily operations, business development, and sustainability and certifications.
• Hire, train, motivate, coach, and evaluate a high-performing workforce responsible for $100 million in purchases annually.
• Develop and implement fiber supply strategy that is poised to procure over 5 million tons in 2014 across 7 operating facilities.
• Identify regions and sites for expansion of operating footprint that provide profitable sustainable and competitive advantages for the company.
• Develop supply chains for new projects including negotiating and implementing appropriate fiber supply contracts, staffing, and strategy execution; implement continuous improvement of fiber supply to Enviva’s operating plants.
• Work closely with plant operations to identify opportunities for fiber supply by providing biomass to third party customers.
• Lead organization to achieve and maintain third party certification of supply chain to SFI/FSC/PEFC/GGL standards. From January 2011 to Present (5 years) Materials Manager @ Hired to manage fiber sourcing as the only Materials Manager at one plant with significantly increasing responsibilities. From March 2008 to Present (7 years 10 months) Richmond, Virginia AreaSenior Resource Analyst @ Recruited to manage the Southern office, with responsibility for recruitment, retention, training and development of staff.
• Led the appraisal and due diligence effort of one of the largest timberland sales in recent history.
• Provided cost benchmarking, forecasting, and other consulting services to major timberland owners.
• Rebuilt office with high quality staff after loss of several key employees, and developed, proposed, and implemented a recruitment and retention program to reduce employee turnover.
• Changed processes to improve product quality, and reduce errors and time necessary to complete appraisal assignments. From February 2005 to March 2008 (3 years 2 months) Charlotte, North Carolina AreaFiber Supply Manager @ Purchased high-quality, low-cost raw materials and coordinated wood flows between sawmill, paper mill and other facilities.
• Led activities to purchase and deliver 1.1 million tons of wood to a small log sawmill and 1.2 million tons of pine for a pulp and paper mill in Cantonment, FL; trained scale house personnel, loggers, and foresters in fiber quality & mill needs.
• Managed outside sales of all company controlled stumpage to ensure highest possible returns; coordinated the sale and logistics of the mill’s 450,000+ tons of chips, bark and sawdust; harvested and merchandised 700,000 tons of fee wood.
• Analyzed and implemented changes to log buying strategy to continuously improve mill profitability, and developed a log buying guide/decision support model that considers log size and quality when making sourcing decisions.
• Changed wood sourcing, resulting in a 9% improvement in recovery while helping the mill increase throughput by 28%.
• Improved EBIT contributions by almost $400,000 per year as a result of merchandising and marketing efforts
• Selected as the first leader to attend an 8-week training program working at the sawmill in a manufacturing capacity designed to gain cross-functional experience to aid in better management practices throughout company divisions. From June 2000 to January 2005 (4 years 8 months) Pensacola, Florida AreaForester @ Quality Control Forester – Cantonment, Florida (Aug. 1999 to Jul. 2000)
Developed and implemented quality control programs for paper mill and a greenfield sawmill.
• Served as project manager for the development and coordination of all forest resources systems needed to supply a greenfield state-of-the-art sawmill
• Developed decision support tools to implement profitable merchandising and sourcing decisions that maximized system profitability.
Forest Systems Analyst – Cantonment, Florida (Feb. 1997 to Aug. 1999)
Promoted to provide technical and analytic support to region forest management and wood procurement operations.
• Supported wood sourcing, merchandising, and harvest planning, and contributed to the development and implementation of the region’s geographic information system.
• Performed strategic and tactical harvest planning using Woodstock® and Stanley® software programming resulting in a 20% increase in sustainable harvest; updated, and improved the forest inventory procedure and database system
• Managed resource analysis that led to the construction of a new greenfield sawmill in McDavid, Florida.
Forester – Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina (Nov. 1994 to Feb. 1997 / Feb. 1991 to Dec. 1993)
Promoted to manage 53,000+ acres of company-owned forestland in the Virginia Piedmont, and North Carolina Coastal Plain.
• Oversaw company and contract site preparation and road building, herbicide applications, contract planting and aerial fertilization
• Prepared and administered a capital and expense budget; planned timber sales budgets.
• Reduced site preparation costs by 44% utilizing new technology, benchmarking, and efficient allocation of resources.
• Evaluated least cost sourcing options, and negotiated directly with outside suppliers on volume and price.
Forest Management Coordinator – Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina (Jul. 1990 to Feb. 1991)
Supported the development of forest management strategy/plans with analysis, evaluation, and database management. From 1990 to 2000 (10 years)
MBA, Business @ University of West Florida - College of Business From 1997 to 1999 BS, Forestry @ North Carolina State University From 1983 to 1989 High School Diploma @ Friendy High School From 1980 to 1983 Edward Sontag is skilled in: Forestry, Forest Management, Procurement, Renewable Energy, Sustainability, Biomass, Wood, Leadership, Energy, Strategic Planning, Biofuels, Management, Continuous Improvement, Supply Chain Management, Forest Products
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension