Bachelor's Degree, Computer Science @
National University of Singapore
I am a senior researcher at Carnegie Mellon University Qatar since January 2015. I received my PhD in Computer Science at National University of Singapore and my research interests are logic programming, high-level concurrency models, mobile computing, distributed/parallel computing. Most recently, I'm working on high-level abstractions for orchestrating decentralized mobile computing systems. While research is my core
I am a senior researcher at Carnegie Mellon University Qatar since January 2015. I received my PhD in Computer Science at National University of Singapore and my research interests are logic programming, high-level concurrency models, mobile computing, distributed/parallel computing. Most recently, I'm working on high-level abstractions for orchestrating decentralized mobile computing systems. While research is my core expertise, engineering is my passion. I love software engineering challenges from designing type-systems and building compilers, to backend server scripting and Android application development. Once upon a time, I was a Senior Software Engineer, maintaining and developing backend cloud operations of a business-to-business web analytics service.
Senior Researcher @ Putting theory into practice:
- Applying decentralized multiset rewriting onto Android mobile development.
- Applying decentralized multiset rewriting onto the cloud.
Developing a high-level orchestration language for implementing distributed interactive Android mobile applications (https://github.com/sllam/comingle). Features include:
- Decentralized / near-field network communications (Wifi-Direct, LAN, Bluetooth, NFC)
- Developed a programmable abstraction for time-synchronized events across mobile devices From December 2014 to Present (1 year 1 month) QatarPost Doctoral Research Associate @ Conducting research on parallel and distributed logic programming languages. Specifically, exploring effective programming on large scale ensembles via logic-based multiset rewriting. Research role include:
• Researcher for Effective Programming for Large Scale Ensembles, Qatar
National Research Fund project, NPRP 09-667-1-100
• Principle Investigator for Effective Distributed Programming via Join
Patterns with Guards, Propagation, Qatar National Research Fund project,
Led in the development of the following projects:
• MSRE : Multiset Rewriting for Ensembles (https://github.com/sllam/msre)
• pysetcomp: Set Comprehension Extension for Z3 solver in Python
(https://github.com/sllam/pysetcomp) From January 2012 to December 2014 (3 years) QatarSenior Software Engineer @ Functioned as a senior engineer for the backend data operations and technical
development of proprietary business-to-business web analytics application known
as Brand Karma, which provides Brand Managers with actionable data
interpretations measuring online consumer sentiments of their services/products on
social media. Selected projects and duties include:
- Designed and implemented a highly optimized data interpretation API
server, implemented with Python, PostgresSQL, Redis data store and
- Designed and implemented of a streaming data processing system,
implemented with Python, Haskell(GHC), C++, PostgresSQL, MongoDB.
- Maintanance of batch data processing system, implemented with Python,
Java and Hadoop Map-Reduce framework and PostgresSQL.
- Developed new features and tools for frontend web application,
implemented with Python Django web development framework,
- A clinical management rich client platform application, implemented with
Java Eclipse Rich-client platform and MySQL database.
- An online retail web application, implemented with Java, Google Web
Toolkit and Oracle database. From December 2008 to May 2009 (6 months) Visiting Research Assistant @ - Engaged in research into the theoretical formulation of a high-level concurrency model of Constraint Handling Rules (CHR).
- Engaged in research into a practical parallel implementation of CHR in Haskell (GHC) via software transactional memory (STM). From May 2008 to December 2008 (8 months) Research & Teaching Assistant @ - Assisted in the implementation of a constraint solving based type-system for Haskell.
- Teaching assistant duties: conducted tutorials and lab sessions for basic Java programming module. From May 2004 to July 2005 (1 year 3 months) Software Engineer & Media Content Developer @ - Involved in the software and hardware development of an interactive touch
screen system for road shows and exhibitions, implemented with
Macromedia director, flash actionscript.
- Provided support for generation of media contents for interactive touch
screen system. Tools and systems used: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premier,
Strata 3D and 3D studio Max. From May 2003 to August 2004 (1 year 4 months)
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), Computer Science @ National University of Singapore From 2005 to 2011 Bachelor's Degree, Computer Science, First Class Honours @ National University of Singapore From 2001 to 2005 Edmund Lam is skilled in: CS Research, Software Engineering, Java, Python, C++, Haskell (GHC), Android Development, Building Compilers, Constraint Programming, Logic Programming, Functional Programming, Parallel Programming, Distributed Programming, Damage Control, Amateur Cooking