Sr. Manager - Training & Development @ Nissan North America
Manager, Leadership & Employee Development @ Greenfield Industries / Kennametal
HR/EHS Manager @ Drive Automotive / Magna International
Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
Over twenty years of experience serving international and domestic companies. Strategic as well as tactical HR business partner with a focus on achieving business results by offering extensive experience in management and employee improvement efforts. People focused with analytical, systems and process orientation skills. Almost all experience involves major change initiatives, e.g. culture, process, training, start-ups, acquisitions,
Over twenty years of experience serving international and domestic companies. Strategic as well as tactical HR business partner with a focus on achieving business results by offering extensive experience in management and employee improvement efforts. People focused with analytical, systems and process orientation skills. Almost all experience involves major change initiatives, e.g. culture, process, training, start-ups, acquisitions, and financial turnarounds. Excellent creativity, multi-tasking, project management, presentation and communication skills. Strive to serve and develop others, enhance people’s lives, and make the workplace a fun place to be!
Specialties:Strategic Business & HR Planning, Mergers & Acquisitions/Assimilations; Organizational Development/Design; Change & Performance Management; Executive Recruiting/Staffing; Succession & Workforce Planning; AAP/Diversity Management; Leadership & Employee Development; Compensation/Incentive/Benefits/Payroll; Worker's Compensation; Policies/Procedures/Govt. Compliance; Employee Relations (Union & Non-union); Safety/OSHA/DOT, ISO 9000/Lean Mfg, HR Shared Service Center, HRIS/HR Intranet Development
Project Manager – Renault/Nissan HR Convergence @ Project Manager leading and/or assisting in the analysis, strategy and implementation of plans to integrate the Nissan Americas and Renault Americas HR programs & processes for improved effectiveness and efficiency in benchmarking best practices, program/process standardization, common purchases, and shared services. From June 2014 to Present (1 year 5 months) Nashville, TNSr. Manager – Compensation @ Provide company-wide leadership, strategy, planning & support in Compensation for the United States and Canada. Facilitate best-practice sharing and common processes with Nissan Mexico and Brazil.
• Participate in and conduct market-based surveys and analyze impact to functions with positions in high demand/short supply as well as experiencing high turnover.
• Develop strategies to attract and retain strategic hires and key talent.
• Implement annual merit & bonus based compensation plans.
• Ensure Nissan’s compensation practices comply with all labor laws. From January 2014 to June 2014 (6 months) Nashville, TNSr. Manager - Total Rewards @ Project Manager leading and/or assisting in the review & revision to HR Operations functions in Payroll, Time & Attendance, HRIS (SAP to PeopleSoft HR), Benefits, and Compensation for the company-wide expansion and manufacturing plant start-up at Nissan do Brasil. Current initiatives/priorities:
• Working with outsourced Payroll provider to improve operations & plan for expansion
• Implementing automated Time & Attendance system
• Reviewing & implementing company-wide medical plan to better align with the market in order to attract and retain employees, while maintaining equivalent costs. From January 2013 to December 2013 (1 year) US / BrazilSub-Director, Total Rewards @ Provide company-wide leadership, strategy, planning & support in Compensation, Benefits, Workforce planning (HC & Labor Budget Control) & Expatriate Support for the Nissan Mexicana (NMEX) & Nissan-Renault Finance (NRFM) companies. (> $118B in world-wide revenue and >22k Americas employees)
• Project manager for the Global Grading System which involved evaluating all positions, analyzing the market, & developing a compensation structure strategy to improve administration & competitiveness.
• Developed and implemented an automated global best practice Merit Increase process, increasing the differentiation between performance levels & rewarding key talent, while remaining under-budget.
• Implemented enhanced medical insurance benefits, making NMEX & NRFM benefits more competitive in the market, while remaining >$16M MXN below budget.
• Restructured Expatriate Support functions into one, unified group; Changed immigration attorneys: Changed relocation support company and implementing improved administrative processes.
• Transitioning from 3 different banks providing payroll support to one, completing 2 out of 4 locations. From December 2010 to December 2012 (2 years 1 month) Mexico City, MexicoSr. Manager - Training & Development @ Provided company-wide leadership for executive, management and employee professional training and development throughout the U.S., Canada and Brazil. Includes assessment and selection processes (360, leadership potential & coaching) as well as key talent accelerated leadership development programs.
• Project manager for the training and development function analysis resulting in a consolidated T&D organization into one, unified group supporting the Americas (utilizing less resources).
• Developed and implemented the company-wide, T&D strategy to support the company’s Building the Americas and Quality of Management strategic initiatives resulting in a greatly expanded development program from 3,000 man-hrs of training in FY09 to over 28,000 man-hrs in less than one year. From February 2010 to December 2010 (11 months) Nashville, TNSr. Manager - HR Operations @ Responsible for providing company-wide leadership for management and employee support throughout the U.S. and Canada for benefits and compensation administration, performance management, career planning, policy development and implementation, new employee orientation, PeopleSoft HRIS administration and the Nissan HR HR web-portal & technology.
• Project manager for the U.S. HR re-engineering effort resulting in a restructured HR organization supporting all employees from a centralized, HR Service Center and decentralized, Employee Relations and HR Business Partners. (Project was approx. $2.8M under budget, 6 months ahead of schedule and assisted NNA in achieving top-quartile, world-class cost objectives.)
• Project manager for the HR call center technology analysis; Led the selection and service center team development and implementation. (Resulted in meeting all “stretch” KPIs within 4 months of start-up and exceeding most “world-class” targets.)
• Implemented new consumer driven health plan, with comprehensive health improvement programs, e.g. CDHP w/HSA & HRA, Disease Management, Wellness, & Nurse Line. (Open enrollment accomplished at approx. 40% less cost and manpower than an outsourced solution, while achieving > 93% active enrollment rates and > 92% Service Levels.)
• Continuing to lead and/or implement strategic HRSC program and/or cost improvement initiatives, e.g. STD & COBRA process enhancements, company-wide HR policy standardization, and business process outsourcing (pension and recruiting).
• Led strategic HR program and/or cost improvement initiatives, e.g. HRSC outsourcing comparisons, assisting in the development of a Mexico based shared services organization, Recruiting process outsourcing, etc.
• Recognized as “best-in-class” in efficiency compared to global Nissan HRSCs as well as industrial peers. (Continually selected to assist global HR in HR re-engineering analysis and efforts.) From November 2006 to February 2010 (3 years 4 months) Nashville, TNDirector - Human Resources @ Provided system-wide leadership for Human Resource, Training and Risk Management programs for Jackson, MS, Rankin, MS and Monroe, LA Call Center and Tech-Ops facilities.
• Implemented HR transition programs to ensure seamless change from Time Warner Cable to new Comcast ownership effective 8/1/06.
• Implemented system-wide billing system conversion training and Call Center expansion project. From May 2006 to November 2006 (7 months) Jackson, MSVP – Administration @ Provided company-wide leadership for HR, IT, Operations and Medicaid/Medicare compliance programs. ($35M, Home-delivery & disease mgt, Turnaround setting; 3 pharmacies & 1 Call Center in 4 states.)
• Reviewed and implemented benefit programs resulting in a more comprehensive package saving approx. $50k/yr.
• Automated Call Center Enrollment processes resulting in a 75%+ decrease in processing time.
• Designed individual & team performance measures resulting in a 25+% order increase.
• Reengineered Call Center Refill processes bringing a 5-month call backlog to current dates.
• Simplified Doctor Call processes resulting in a 40+% increase in completed activities.
• Implemented major ERP software project enhancements designed to further streamline operations. From January 2005 to March 2006 (1 year 3 months) Corporate HR Director @ Provided overall HR direction and guidance for multiple business units on company-wide programs. Executive team member challenged with developing and implementing company-wide business and HR strategic plans and culture change to increase market and employee flexibility and accountability.
• Collaborated with executive leadership to implement leadership assessments and develop revised company organizational structure to better position key leaders and improve market performance.
• Key member of SWOT teams focused on improving branch financial performance through gap analysis, operational and human resource improvement plan development and implementation.
• Revised the Sales Trainee process into an enhanced, structured on-the-job training experience.
• Restructured company-wide base pay and incentive plans for executives, managers, sales and operations employees to align with and improve individual performance, sales and profitability goals.
• Evaluated, negotiated and implemented benefit programs providing enhanced features for employees and company savings, e.g. 46% ($1.3M+/yr) in medical expenses, 30% ($70k+/yr) on Life & LTD insurance; Includes voluntary benefit programs.
• Evaluated and transitioned to a new Profit Sharing/401K plan administrator after making major plan enhancements; Experienced in starting, changing, administering and dissolving 401k plans.
• Implemented "paperless payroll system” saving $16k+/yr in processing and mailing costs; Integrated payrolls after acquisitions.
• Managed the analysis and implementation of a new windows and web-based HRIS saving $30k+; and Implemented web-based employee and manager self-service functions.
• Developed structured Interview Sheets; and Trained all management in behavioral interviewing and performance review/management techniques.
• Implemented first company-wide AAP and expanded diversity recruitment.
• Negotiated with a relocation carrier to improve service and reduce cost. From June 1998 to December 2004 (6 years 7 months) Jackson, MSManager, Leadership & Employee Development @ Developed and implemented structured formal production and managerial training programs for all business units and depts. Acted as an “internal consultant” to management to assist in continuous improvement and reengineering efforts (VP’s to shop floor). Performed HR Manager duties for newly acquired facilities. Supported Production, Sales, Call Centers and Distribution depts. in 16 states and 4 countries in both union and non-union environments while growing from 19 facilities to 35 and 2700 employees to 5000.
• Developed and implemented "change management" initiatives, e.g. becoming more market-orientated and customer driven, utilizing participative management/self-directed work team styles, increasing employee involvement and the use of teams to solve business issues.
• Implemented "merger integration" efforts to improve the transition of newly acquired companies for managers and employees, including sales forces.
• Developed easy to use tools to implement ISO9000 training activities reducing scrap and training time by 50%, including “self-study” mfg process manuals adopted industry wide.
• Worked with state governments to obtain free or low-cost training assistance saving $100K+.
• Implemented a networked, computer-based software training program saving approx. $18k.
• Assisted in the implementation of "Peer Reviews", an alternative dispute resolution tool. From May 1994 to June 1998 (4 years 2 months) Augusta, GA
MBA, Business, Operations Management, Finance @ University of South Carolina - Darla Moore School of BusinessB.S., Education, Training & Development @ Southern Illinois University, Carbondale Dwain Stevens is skilled in: Human Resources, Employee Relations, Performance Management, Employee Engagement, Succession Planning, Change Management, HRIS, Personnel Management, Leadership Development, Deferred Compensation, Recruiting, Training, Process Improvement
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension