Visiting Professor in the Department of People Management and Organisation @ ESADE - Ramon Llull University (Barcelona, Spain)
Principal Consultant @ Competency International
Senior Researcher @ Rutgers University - Consortium for Research on Emotional Intelligence in Organizations
BA, Psychology @
University of California, Santa Barbara
Dr. Robert Emmerling is a leading expert in the assessment and development of competencies and emotional intelligence in the workplace, and has spent his career as a consultant, researcher and lecturer specializing in this area. Through his work as a member of the Consortium for Research on Emotional Intelligence in Organizations, a group founded by Dr. Daniel
Dr. Robert Emmerling is a leading expert in the assessment and development of competencies and emotional intelligence in the workplace, and has spent his career as a consultant, researcher and lecturer specializing in this area. Through his work as a member of the Consortium for Research on Emotional Intelligence in Organizations, a group founded by Dr. Daniel Goleman, he has been involved in some of the most influential work in the field of competencies and emotional intelligence, including the development of best practice guidelines for training and developing emotional intelligence and the identification and evaluation of model programs that significantly enhance social and emotional competencies in the workplace.
In addition to competencies and emotional intelligence, he also specializes in the areas of leadership assessment and development, executive coaching, 360-degree feedback, career change, organizational development, change management, program evaluation, and instructional design. He is a principal consultant at Competency International a research and HR consulting group dedicated to the application of scientifically validated techniques to the management of human capital in organizations and committed to advancing the science of motive and emotional intelligence competency assessment, application and development. He has provided consultation on a range of human resource related issues to companies in North, Central and South America, Europe and Asia, including Johnson & Johnson, Siemens, Estee Lauder, Amcor, Novartis, PriceWaterhouseCoopers, LSG Sky Chefs, Brocade Communications, Ameriprise Financial Advisors, Goodwill Industries, KIC InnoEnergy, Hess Corporation, Hindustan Petroleum, OIL India, and the TATA Group in India.
He is an editor for Frontiers in Psychology and the Spanish Journal of Psychology and has published in Leadership Excellence, Cross Cultural Management, Journal of Career Assessment, and Journal of Management Development.
Visiting Professor in the Department of People Management and Organisation @ Within the Leadership Development Research Centre at ESADE I currently supervise a longitudinal study of the development of social and emotional intelligence competencies in MBA students as well as research on psychological factors associated with entrepreneurial success in the field of sustainable / renewable energy. Other responsibilities include teaching in the full-time MBA program as well as in the Doctoral Program in Management Science and supervising doctoral-level research within the research group. Courses taught include Organising Human Resources, Thematic Analysis, Qualitative Research Methods, and Global Leadership. In addition, I am involved in the design and implementation of workshops and consulting projects for corporate clients of ESADE. From October 2008 to Present (7 years 3 months) Principal Consultant @ Competency International is dedicated to building competency-based HR applications using empirical methods for developing competency models that meet professional and legal reliability and validity criteria as well as demonstrated economic value. Examples of projects that I have led include the following:
- Led the design and implementation of a research-based assessment center for entrepreneurs and entrepreneurial teams applying to the KIC Inno Energy Business Incubator in Spain, Poland, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Portugal, and Sweden.
- Led an applied research study to determine the competencies of high performing senior executives at OIL India. The completed competency model became the basis for assessing and developing senior leaders in the organization.
- Led the design and implementation of an applied competency study that empirically determined the competencies that defined high performing financial advisors at Ameriprise Financial Advisors. The competency model developed became the model for corporate-wide advisor training.
- Designed and implemented the C.O.A.C.H. program for managers at Brocade Communications. The project included a formal needs assessment, design of customized program materials, and a train-the-trainer process for internal HR and training staff at Brocade. The C.O.A.C.H. program has been implemented worldwide for all managers within Brocade.
- Executive assessment programs for the purpose of selection, high-potential identification, and development.
- Keynote presentations given to major HR conferences throughout the United States, South America, Europe and Asia. From January 2003 to Present (13 years) Senior Researcher @ The mission of the EI Consortium is to advance research and practice of emotional and social intelligence in organizations through the generation and exchange of knowledge. The Consortium for Research on Emotional Intelligence in Organizations is currently made up individuals with a strong record of accomplishment as applied researchers in the field.
- Conducted a 3-year applied study to identify model programs with demonstrated results in terms of sustained behavior change and / or measureable productivity improvements.
- Co-authored the EI Consortium's technical report on training and developing emotional intelligence in the workplace.
- Designed and marketed the EI Consortium's website which is one of the world's most visited websites related to emotional intelligence in the workplace with over 17 million visitors to date. From January 1997 to Present (19 years) Senior Consultant @ From September 2002 to September 2003 (1 year 1 month)
Psy.D., Organizational Psychology @ Rutgers University-New Brunswick From 1997 to 2002 BA, Psychology @ University of California, Santa Barbara From 1993 to 1996 Dr. Robert Emmerling is skilled in: Emotional Intelligence, Leadership Development, Executive Assessment, Talent Management, Executive Coaching, Organizational Development, Change Management, Teaching, Research, Employee Training, Talent Assessment, Program Development, Program Evaluation, Competency Based Interviewing, Cultural Competency