I incorporate a holistic, unbiased approach to identify strengths, analyze performance or behavioral gaps, and coach others toward improved outcomes. My innovation, commitment, focus on continued progress, success in leading teams, and ability to build collaborative relationships allowed me to influence projects throughout my career that were ultimately rolled out company-wide. I trained, mentored, or consulted with
I incorporate a holistic, unbiased approach to identify strengths, analyze performance or behavioral gaps, and coach others toward improved outcomes. My innovation, commitment, focus on continued progress, success in leading teams, and ability to build collaborative relationships allowed me to influence projects throughout my career that were ultimately rolled out company-wide. I trained, mentored, or consulted with hundreds of individuals (from frontline staff to senior vice presidents) throughout the United States—both within and outside my direct scope of authority—to help them and their direct reports (when applicable) achieve increased levels of performance in a constantly-changing environment. I have excelled in sales in both the healthcare and education industries, and I am a trusted and accomplished leader and coach as well. I am passionate about using my experience and education to develop others so they become trusted, confident, courageous associates within your organization who may demonstrate improved performance and service to others.
Manager, Leadership & Organizational Development @ • Coordinate leadership and organizational development initiatives and efforts throughout the hospital for all leaders, including administration, nursing, and physician leadership.
• Consult with and advise PCH leadership on improving employee relations.
• Facilitate initiatives related to assessment, leadership development, performance management, succession planning, behavioral interviewing, effective communication, and work values.
• Research, design, and implement solutions to educate, enhance, and recognize performance.
• Analyze data from annual employee engagement surveys, coach leaders on how to invite staff input into solutions, and partner with leaders and staff throughout organization to improve departmental outcomes and engagement levels. From October 2014 to Present (1 year 3 months) Phoenix, Arizona AreaA Word About My Leadership Style @ One of my proudest moments was the day I received a scrapbook from one of the managers I supervised. It was filled with notes from individuals expressing their appreciation for my leadership. Some of the excerpts from those comments include:
• “ . . . she can break down a problem I am having, make me feel empowered, correct me when I am doing something wrong—and manage to make me think it was all my idea.”
• “I truly appreciate your honesty and I always feel you care about my personal growth.”
• “I appreciate the way she is able to listen to our dilemmas, take out the emotion, and help lead us down the right path.”
• “You have been a great example of leadership and ethics over the years.”
• “You always make sure we feel valued and appreciated as employees and individuals."
• “She's inspired me to keep stretching myself professionally and educationally. If leadership is about influence, then she's a leader in every way possible."
• “Mary has a unique way to help anyone feel comfortable in any situation. She is always forward thinking and focused on improving those around her!"
• “Never before have I met an individual more dedicated to helping people find their purpose than Mary.”
• “Mary is someone that I would assume years down the road we can all look back and say, ‘here’s someone that played a huge role in my life and career success.’” From November 2001 to October 2014 (13 years) Performance Resources Consultant/Business Improvement Manager @ • Consult with and train leaders (Senior VPs, VPs, Senior Directors, Directors, Managers) on identifying causes of performance gaps, improving performance outcomes, and conducting purposeful and effective meetings. Leaders came from all functional areas nationwide, including sales, finance, academics, operations, and academic affairs.
• Developed and oversaw certification program for organizational leaders to evaluate their effectiveness with improving performance and facilitating meetings.
• Designed and facilitated hundreds of workshops for leaders nationwide in both face-to-face and WebEx formats in groups from 5 to 100 people. Workshops focused on identifying and analyzing performance strengths and opportunities, recommending solutions to improve performance trends, engaging staff, and accountability to improved performance.
• Improved communication, execution, and outcomes of national rollouts of major initiatives by developing and conducting monthly executive summary meetings with senior vice presidents to inform them of rollout status, key observations, and recommendations for continued improvement.
• Created leader handbooks with topics such as Providing Meaningful Feedback, Improving Performance Trends, Engaging Direct Reports’ Hearts and Minds During Meetings, and Positive Accountability.
• Provided budget estimates for national learning initiatives.
• Effectively coordinated and led multiple learning initiatives simultaneously while improving leader outcomes. From October 2012 to May 2014 (1 year 8 months) Some of My Noteworthy Accomplishments @ Through targeted leadership development efforts, influenced increases on regional culture survey in the following areas:
o First 6 months - “Productive 1:1s with Manager” increased 7.8%, largest of any category
o Second 6 months - “Consistent Coaching/Training” increased 9.53%, largest of any category
o Second 6 months - “Manager Provides Clear Direction and Feedback” increased 8.52%, 2nd largest increase of any category
Following a six-month coaching mentorship with 12 leaders in performance areas such as new customers, retention of existing customers, and new referrals received, the following was noted:
o Twenty-two out of 35 total performance indicators increased over baseline by at least 5%.
o The entire group experienced improvements in their teams’ performance outcomes.
Redesigned training curriculum and created new process to teach and certify leaders (frontline managers through senior VPs) on their ability to conduct purposeful meetings, identify causes of performance gaps on key performance indicators, and improve performance trends.
o Feedback from participants indicated increased engagement and learning outcomes.
o Leaders improved in their ability to conduct meetings focused on performance improvement as indicated by improvements in certification outcomes:
• 8% improvement over baseline for leaders who certified on first attempt.
• 29% improvement over baseline for leaders who certified on second attempt.
After gap analysis, created a strategic plan to influence increases in generation and conversion of referrals. Within 60 days:
o Average number of referrals increased by 33% for one group and by 49% for another group.
o The entire department had its best month ever, assisting 17% more referred customers through the purchasing process.
(My team included two other groups in the training that did not usually generate or receive referrals. Within 30 days post-training, one of those groups generated 40 referrals; the other generated 135.) From November 2001 to May 2014 (12 years 7 months) Leadership Development/Performance Consultant @ Throughout most of my career with Apollo Education Group (University of Phoenix), I developed others' skills to help them become more confident and effective in meeting performance goals. I also influenced leaders to be more effective in coaching their teams to meet performance and behavioral goals. Specific roles and contributions are listed separately below. From 2001 to May 2014 (13 years) Regional Performance Coach/Director of Business Improvement @ • Partnered with territory leadership (VPs, Directors, Managers) in all functional areas (e.g., sales, finance, academics, operations, academic affairs) to identify, analyze, and close leaders’ coaching and performance gaps.
• Coordinated successful implementation of cross-functional client service and support model throughout multi-state territory. Model was a framework providing consistent skill, behavior, and performance coaching.
• Created curriculum, coordinated scheduling, and facilitated coaching conferences for leadership development for several hundred leaders. Topics included Accountability (Performance and Behavior), Coaching on Customer Interactions, Analysis and Coaching Using Performance Trends, and Effective Use of Kolb’s Learning Styles Model.
• After conducting trend analyses, designed and facilitated monthly developmental calls for leaders of all functional areas to improve performance coaching.
• Developed skills and abilities of cross-functional learning team so team members could assist leaders to coach direct reports toward improved outcomes.
• Designed and led performance appraisal calibration sessions for leaders to ensure consistency, alignment, and meaningful performance feedback.
• Coordinated multi-state rollout and facilitated workshops for Emotional Intelligence and Performance Feedback.
• Assisted in development of learning facilitator competency model using Lominger architecture.
• Created idea which was later adopted as Western Region mission statement. From November 2008 to October 2012 (4 years) Regional Director, Learning & Professional Development @ • Filled temporary roles overseeing two different regions' leadership development and staff training efforts.
• Partnered with HR Business Partners and regional leadership to identify development concerns and gaps and recommend coaching solutions.
• Managed team of training personnel and coordinated learning initiatives throughout several states.
• Recruited, interviewed, and hired training and development personnel. From July 2011 to February 2012 (8 months) Director of Enrollment (includes additional director-level positions) @ • Effectively led up to 100 sales employees in a call center environment.
• Developed managers’ and frontline employees’ skills in one-on-one, small group, or large training settings to ensure achievement of daily, weekly, and monthly goals in a matrix-based performance environment. Goals included (but were not limited to) sales performance, referrals, inbound and outbound call volume, customer retention, customer service levels, and lead base management. Used call recordings as well as direct observation for coaching opportunities.
• Coordinated initiatives and facilitated staff- and management-level training to ensure alignment with organizational and state-specific guidelines (for healthcare and education departments).
• Recruited, interviewed, and hired hundreds of sales personnel, as well as individuals for managerial- and director-level positions.
• Ensured consistency and compliance with performance management processes including performance appraisals, performance feedback, and progressive discipline by developing leaders’ skills, reviewing, and approving performance-related documents. Delivered performance appraisals to leaders and staff.
• Ensured compliance with organizational and regulatory policies. From November 2004 to November 2008 (4 years 1 month) Enrollment Manager @ • Effectively coached teams of up to 16 frontline sales employees in a call center environment.
• Coached employees in one-on-one, small group, or large training settings to develop their skills to ensure achievement of matrix performance goals. Goals included (but were not limited to) sales performance, referrals, inbound and outbound call volume, customer retention, customer service levels, and lead base management.
• Recruited, interviewed, and hired hundreds of sales personnel. From September 2002 to November 2004 (2 years 3 months) Enrollment Advisor @ • Successfully achieved performance goals in a matrix environment and was promoted within nine months to management position.
• Recruited potential students by telephone and discussed educational and life goals with them.
• Counseled students regarding transferable credits, academic, and financial responsibilities and retained students once enrolled in their degree programs. From November 2001 to September 2002 (11 months) Administrative Assistant @ • Developed and implemented procedures leading to improved efficiency and communication between departments.
• Supervised assistants and coordinated workload to manage priorities more effectively.
• Mentored and trained Administrative Coordinator.
• Participated in or led numerous committees including New Hire Orientation overhaul, Travel and Expense redesign, budget management, and United Way. From February 2001 to November 2001 (10 months) Professional Healthcare Representative @ • Consistently achieved monthly sales quotas with five major pharmaceutical products simultaneously.
• Developed relationships with key stakeholders including medical care providers, medical staff, pharmacy personnel, hospital administrators and staff, nursing home management and providers, managed care organizations, etc., to assess and address the needs of their patients and institutions.
• Partnered with medical professionals to provide staff and patient educational opportunities. From August 1995 to December 2000 (5 years 5 months) Regional Office Coordinator @ From July 1989 to August 1995 (6 years 2 months)
Doctor of Management in Organizational Leadership @ University of PhoenixMAED, Adult Education @ University of PhoenixBachelor's Degree, Business Administration and Management, General @ Judson UniversityDundee-Crown High School Dr. Mary Krause, DM is skilled in: Adult Education, Leadership, Leadership Development, Coaching, Staff Development, Training, Higher Education, Instructional Design, Organizational Development, Management, Faculty Development, Performance Management, Team Building, Career Development, Public Speaking
Looking for a different
Dr. Mary Krause, DM?
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension