OPERATIONS / FINANCE / GENERAL MANAGEMENT EXECUTIVE
Broadly experienced leader with successful 20+ year career in the strategic management of real estate leasing, operations, and financial functions. Identified, negotiated, and spearheaded major initiatives during complex acquisition and consolidation activities in domestic and international environments that delivered millions of dollars in profitable returns. Capacity to steer consensus among
OPERATIONS / FINANCE / GENERAL MANAGEMENT EXECUTIVE
Broadly experienced leader with successful 20+ year career in the strategic management of real estate leasing, operations, and financial functions. Identified, negotiated, and spearheaded major initiatives during complex acquisition and consolidation activities in domestic and international environments that delivered millions of dollars in profitable returns. Capacity to steer consensus among core business disciplines; mentor and motivate staff in challenging situations. Certified Public Accountant (CPA) with an MBA.
VP Finance, Accounting & Risk Management @ From December 2011 to Present (4 years 1 month) Vice President Finance @ From June 2010 to December 2011 (1 year 7 months) Director, Operations Support @ Assumed this position during high growth/consolidation period and after Stantec acquired The Keith Companies in 2005.
Established the Real Estate Services group to help regional and local management better manage portfolio of more than 3.1 million RSF of office space.
• Implemented a comprehensive lease negotiation strategy, established facility metrics and consolidated all brokerage activity through a single vendor —all resulting in a reduction of 10% on the company's $70M+ annual occupancy base.
• Provided oversight on acquisitions, subleasing, and facility consolidation activities.
Set up centralized purchasing department with a focus on negotiating pricing with strategic national vendors.
• Saved $1.4 million in office supply purchases, $2 million in shipping costs, and 10% to 20% with multiple sourcing and individual purchase negotiations annually.
Took over mobility, travel, and credit card programs with 5,000+ cellular phones and Blackberries, and credit cards.
• Saved more than $1 million annually by renegotiating the Canadian and US mobility contracts.
• Reduced travel booking fees 50% through the rollout and implementation of new booking tool.
• Automated credit card transactions directly to the Oracle expense reporting system, increased program compliance and decreased write-off of employee balances.
Implemented strategies to optimize efficiency of reprographics equipment used by engineering.
• Negotiated discounted pricing structure, no out-of-pocket expense, flexibility to terminate agreements at will, and the ability to capture and bill internal plotting activity not passed through to clients.
Initiated US and Canada fleet management program, consolidating activities of 700 vehicles.
• Established visibility to vehicle Total Cost of Ownership (TCO).
• Secured manufacturer rebates of 15% to 20%, fuel and maintenance rebates and discounts, and maximum proceeds from disposition. From 2005 to August 2010 (5 years) Vice President Operations and Strategic Planning @ Requested by CFO to create a new operations services group to improve internal service and optimize procedural efficiency. Areas of responsibility included creation of corporate Real Estate, Purchasing, Mobility, Travel, Reprographics, and Fleet Management support groups.
• Established the Operations Technology Department—enhancing work sharing opportunities and implementing technical standards through a company-wide approach to technical software implementation, user support, technical staff hiring and training, and the initiation of division user group meetings.
• Designed and implemented a comprehensive performance appraisal and bonus program, and created a corporate/administrative structure providing HR support to division presidents― assumed management of HR Department in 2004 and 2005.
• Took over management of financially troubled Operating Division as a result of expansion into a new industry; returned division to breakeven position and initiated exit strategy.
• Coordinated 8 acquisitions within 5 years that grew the company from 230 employees in 2 states to 850 employees in 8 states. Spearheaded due diligence, presentations, and systems/procedures integration. From May 2001 to September 2005 (4 years 5 months) VP Finance and Accounting/ Director Finance and Accounting @ Selected to overhaul the financial systems and position the company for IPO in 1999 and Secondary Offering in 2001. Earned promotion to Vice President within one year of tenure.
• Restructured accounting functions and consolidated numerous legal entities into 1 within 9 months.
• Led coordination of internal financial statements and external audits. Managed IPO preparations including prospectus, annual report, form 10-K, proxy statement, press releases, and subsequent quarterly reports. Cut financial close time from 7 weeks to 6 days. Reported to the CEO.
• Coordinated the company’s first external audit that resulted in 100+ adjustments and first DCAA audit creating opportunity for participation on government projects.
• Upgraded existing financial, contracts, and cost accumulation system, and implemented a customized revenue recognition program.
• Created forecast/budget model to establish targets and meet internal and external requirements.
• Initiated monthly division conference calls to establish accountability and train managers.
• Created consolidated treasury function that streamlined the banking structure and integrated company’s line of credit.
• Instituted the company's stock option system and plan, and oversaw all daily activities. From March 1998 to May 2001 (3 years 3 months) Manager Accounting and Consolidations @ Oversaw consolidation of foreign and domestic financial statements, internal and external reporting, external audit, accounting and integration of two acquisitions, and the company’s global restructuring and business unit reorganization. Served as key participant in SAP enterprise-wide implementation. Created company’s first quarterly and annual filings with SEC. From May 1996 to March 1998 (1 year 11 months) Financial Analyst @ • Responsible for all external reporting requirements including: preparation and review of the annual report and Form 10K, quarterly reporting, press releases, and SEC comment letter responses..
• Supervise semi-annual budgeting process, review of month end general ledger expenses and accruals, preparation of monthly financial statements and quarterly presentation to the Board of Directors.
• Member of the SAP client information system implementation team.
• Drafting of various accounting policies and procedures. From September 1994 to May 1996 (1 year 9 months) Senior Associate, Audit @ • Plan, organize, conduct, and review fieldwork of various sized audit engagements.
• Prepare and review financial information for completion of SEC filing requirements.
• Supervise engagement staff and provide technical support and guidance. From September 1991 to September 1994 (3 years 1 month)
MBA @ Pepperdine University From 1997 to 1999 BA, Economics with a concentration in accounting @ University of California Santa Barbara From 1988 to 1991 State of California @ Certified Public Accountant Douglas Soller is skilled in: Leadership, Due Diligence, Contract Management, Budgets, Contract Negotiation, Project Management, Operations Management, Strategic Planning, Construction, Business Development, Transportation, Financial Analysis, Proposal Writing, Team Building, Mergers
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension