Bachelor of Science (BS), Chemistry @
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Since completing my Ph.D. in analytical chemistry, I have developed a broad knowledge of applications in the field of analytical science with a focus on separation sciences and tandem mass spectrometric techniques. My formal training is in the field of chemical physics and plasma chromatography and applications related to chemical characterization / quantitation in a variety of
Since completing my Ph.D. in analytical chemistry, I have developed a broad knowledge of applications in the field of analytical science with a focus on separation sciences and tandem mass spectrometric techniques. My formal training is in the field of chemical physics and plasma chromatography and applications related to chemical characterization / quantitation in a variety of biological / synthetic matrices. I also have experience in reverse formulation, chemical degradation characterization / quantitation and methods transfer / validation. I have extensive experience / working knowledge of myriad analytical techniques and their utilization in dynamic, GLP – compliant, industrial R&D environments.
Analytical Development Group Leader @ • Supervise a group of Scientists and Chemists supporting all analytical - based method transfers, method development and trouble - shooting within the Sigma Aldrich Fine Chemical (SAFC) division in Sheboygan From January 2013 to Present (3 years) Sheboygan, Wisconsin AreaScientist @ • This position supports all analytical - based method transfers, method development and trouble - shooting within the rapidly - growing Sigma Aldrich Fine Chemical (SAFC) division
• Typical efforts revolve around impurity identification and implementation of new procedures for in – process monitoring and chemical characterization
• Developed a new group structure and reporting system (within the traditional QC laboratory) for analytical services provided to development teams
• These changes dramatically improved turn - around time and quality of analytical test data during project development
• Currently serve as the analytical point - of - contact for all customer interactions and production technical problems for Pharma, Electronic, Fine Chemical and Catalogue business segments.
• Multiple performance review generated highest - level "Superior" rating or “Exceeds Expectations” From December 2007 to December 2012 (5 years 1 month) Sheboygan, Wisconsin AreaApplication Scientist @ • This position worked with production, marketing and QC
elements of the Sigma Aldrich Research Essentials Division
specializing in solvents, buffers and reagent chemicals
• Operational and QC priorities focused on quality upgrades via
process improvement, new process control procedures,
packaging upgrades and more sensitive, robust analytical
• Primary marketing focus involved customer interaction regarding
technical complaints, new products, and application support
• Extensive effort also involved packaging system improvements
for air - sensitive reagents From January 2006 to January 2007 (1 year 1 month) Sheboygan, Wisconsin AreaResearch Scientist @ • Member of the Analytical Research Laboratory providing support
to R&D and manufacturing of products relating to blood glucose
monitoring and point-of-care urinalysis.
• Performed R&D into biosensor design and applications
• Typical LC / MS analysis consists of small – molecule analysis
for characterization / quantitation of degradation products or
monitoring of synthetic research progress. Additional
applications have involved protein identification in biological fluid
samples in support of immunoassay research.
• Typical GC / MS applications have used derivatization
techniques to monitor glucose in serum and interstitial fluid. This
work has supported in – house product testing as well as
research into trans - dermal glucose monitoring.
• Responsible for method validation of analytical tests transferred
to R&D and manufacturing.
• Involved with “reverse – formulation” efforts supporting efforts in
the areas of competitive intelligence and patent law.
• Additional experience in UV / Vis, TLC, IC, NMR and
electrochemistry along with working knowledge of SEM, DSC,
• All annual performance reviews: “Exceeds Expectations.” From January 2002 to January 2005 (3 years 1 month) Mass Spectrometry Facility Manager @ • Primary duties included high – throughput sample analysis, instrument maintenance, and operational training of university faculty, staff and students in the area of LC / TOF-MS. I also did some outside contract work on an hourly – fee basis.
• In addition to routine small-molecule / accurate - mass sample analysis, I worked extensively with protein analysis via enzymatic digests and gel electrophoresis. I also collaborated with university researchers on advanced research topics in the areas of oligonucleotides, organic synthesis and organometallics.
• Established an automated nano - LC – Q-TOF MS resource for proteomic research on campus. From July 2000 to December 2002 (2 years 6 months) Missoula, Montana AreaResearch Assistant @ • Investigated ionic separations via plasma chromatography with
applications studying fundamental atmospheric pressure ion –
• Investigated fundamental ion – molecule processes including
plasma chromatography, thermal electron attachment, ion –
molecule adduct formation, and gas phase ion - molecule kinetics
utilizing high - pressure chemical ionization, quadrupole and ion
mobility mass spectrometry.
• This work sought to elucidate fundamental mechanisms behind
techniques used in real – time explosives analysis, atmospheric
monitoring, and analytical gas chromatography electron capture
detection (GC - ECD) methods. From January 1996 to January 2000 (4 years 1 month)
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Chemistry @ Montana State University-Bozeman From 1995 to 2000 Bachelor of Science (BS), Chemistry @ University of Wisconsin-Madison From 1989 to 1993 Doug Williamson is skilled in: Chromatography, Purification, Biotechnology, HPLC, Biopharmaceuticals, Lifesciences, GLP, LC-MS, Technology Transfer, Organic Chemistry, Assay Development, Analytical Chemistry, GMP, Chemistry
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension