Co-Founder and Vice President @ Microfinance at Berkeley
Strategy Consultant Intern @ Scan Inc.
Core Assurance Associate @ From September 2015 to Present (2 months) San Francisco Bay AreaCo-Founder and Vice President @ • Cofounded Microfinance at Berkeley (bmf.berkeley.edu), the first Kiva Zip's student-run trustee in the United States, utilizing the unprecedented non-profit 0% interest peer-to-peer online lending platform to successfully facilitate $26,500 portfolio of microloans to 6 local enterprises within
Core Assurance Associate @ From September 2015 to Present (2 months) San Francisco Bay AreaCo-Founder and Vice President @ • Cofounded Microfinance at Berkeley (bmf.berkeley.edu), the first Kiva Zip's student-run trustee in the United States, utilizing the unprecedented non-profit 0% interest peer-to-peer online lending platform to successfully facilitate $26,500 portfolio of microloans to 6 local enterprises within 2 semesters
• Led, coordinated and advised the executive team on credit report analysis and financial data verification to assess repayment risks on over 30 loans while communicating with diverse local enterprises From May 2013 to August 2014 (1 year 4 months) Berkeley, CaliforniaStrategy Consultant Intern @ • Collaborated with a team of 7 members working on a 12-week mobile app feature-development project that utilizes location-based technology to provide marketing platform and business analytics
• Analyzed market-entry strategies and long-term growth recommendations for the new app feature using quantitative and qualitative models (competitive analysis, pricing model, and marketing strategies), communicating recommendations directly to the CTO and CEO through written reports and presentations From August 2013 to December 2013 (5 months) Berkeley, CaliforniaCommercial Banking Intern @ Asia Commercial Bank is the largest non-state bank in Vietnam by assets (~$14 billion in 2012)
• Contributed to financial statements review to assess lending risks on 4 multi-million dollar commercial loans through Excel modeling (DCF valuation, ratios analysis, performance forecasts) and on-site data investigation
• Successfully assisted senior analyst staffs on credit reviews, client engagement and presentation to identify default and repayment risks on a $40 million real estate financing deal of a 5-star casino complex. Received 2-week training in client servicing, financial statements analysis and banking CRM software From June 2013 to July 2013 (2 months) VietnamChief Loan Officer @ • Created a credit review process based on consumer and commercial loan underwriting fundamentals with an emphasis on data verification. Fostered member cooperation and efficiency through establishing an internal control and communication structure, cutting loan processing time by over 50% From September 2012 to May 2013 (9 months) Berkeley, CaliforniaPrivate Banking Intern @ • Provided analytical and administrative supports to loan officers on 3 medium loan underwritings ($250,000 - $500,000) through facilitating customer relations, making sales calls and conducting on-site financial data verification to assess lending risks on over 50 local consumer and small enterprise clients within 2 months
• Assisted on client servicing the local branch’s top 10 core clients (> $1 million transaction value/year) and successfully renewed business relationship with a client through professional and persistent communication, contributing approximately $400,000 in deposit and further potential referrals From June 2012 to July 2012 (2 months) Vietnam
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Economics @ University of California, Berkeley From 2010 to 2014 Derek V. Phan is skilled in: Economics, Market Research, Competitive Analysis, Microsoft Excel, Business Strategy, PowerPoint, Teamwork, Due Diligence, Financial Analysis, Financial Modeling, Stata, R
Looking for a different
Derek V. Phan?
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension