Director Marketing @ VLSI Technology/Philips Semiconductor
President and CEO @ Joined LED Engin as President and CEO in September 2006 and positioned the company to develop high power density LED light source for key vertical lighting markets. Successfully closed $40M+ in funding in multiple rounds from multiple investors. Grew company revenue substantially and positioned LED Engin as premier LED brand for entertainment, UV,
President and CEO @ Joined LED Engin as President and CEO in September 2006 and positioned the company to develop high power density LED light source for key vertical lighting markets. Successfully closed $40M+ in funding in multiple rounds from multiple investors. Grew company revenue substantially and positioned LED Engin as premier LED brand for entertainment, UV, horticulture and smart lighting markets. With the emergence of IOT, LED Engin is well positioned to supply worlds best LED light source for smart lighting. Responsible for all aspects of execution, including sales, marketing and operations. From September 2006 to Present (9 years 4 months) Senior Advisor @ Senior Advisor to Beken Electronics. From March 2006 to Present (9 years 10 months) President and CEO @ Was recruited by venture community to lead Berkana Wireless as President and CEO. Successfully introduced world’s first RF CMOS radio for cell phones (GSM/GPRS/EDGE). Sold company to Qualcomm in December 2005.
• Raised $15M in funding
• Successfully introduced first product to market
• Sold to Qualcomm for $56M- Positive return to shareholders From March 2004 to December 2005 (1 year 10 months) President, CEO and Founder @ Founded company in January 2000 to develop, market and sell single chip 802.11 a/b/g product. Responsible for all aspects of the company’s sales, marketing, operations and engineering. Raised $69M in three rounds of funding from tier 1 venture capital firms such as Norwest Venture Partners (NVP), Bessemer Venture Partners (BVP), Oak Investment Capital, Invesco Private Capital, WK Technology fund and host of smaller Asian funds. Introduced beta product to market in June 2002. Company was acquired by RFMD in late 2002 for $130M. Served as Director of Product Marketing for RFMD wireless products for one year post acquisition.
• $69M in fund raising
• Recruited tier 1 management team
• Sold company to RFMD- Positive return to employees and shareholders From January 2000 to December 2003 (4 years) Director Marketing @ Full P&L responsibility for VLSI Technology consumer product line. Products consisted of modulation,demodulation, MPEG encoder and decoder chips. Grew consumer product line from $45M to $85M in span of three years. VLSI sold to Philips Semiconductor in 1999.
• Doubled revenue in span of three years
• Positioned VLSI as primary supplier to large set top box manufacturers in Europe and USA
• Full P&L and marketing responsibility for all products From July 1997 to December 1999 (2 years 6 months) Director Business Development @ Responsible for all sales and business development activity for commercial division of Stanford Telecom. Products included digital communication and error correction ICs. Managed all key customer and partners engagements From February 1990 to June 1997 (7 years 5 months)
Bachelor degree, Electrical and Electronics Engineering @ University of Maryland College Park From 1980 to 1985 David Tahmassebi is skilled in: Semiconductors, Marketing, Wireless, ASIC, Start-ups, Product Management, IC, Product Development, Venture Capital, Product Marketing, Competitive Analysis, Strategic Partnerships, Cross-functional Team Leadership, Solid State Lighting, New Business Development, Business Strategy, Board advisory services, Board member
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension