Post Experience Certificate @
University of Warwick
A versatile and accomplished operations director with manufacturing experience across a broad range of pharmaceutical and chemical processes. An effective leader with demonstrated skills in production, engineering, project management, safety, health & environmental management and manufacturing excellence. Results-focused with a commitment to achieving high standards both individually and with colleagues through the leadership of multi-disciplinary teams. An
A versatile and accomplished operations director with manufacturing experience across a broad range of pharmaceutical and chemical processes. An effective leader with demonstrated skills in production, engineering, project management, safety, health & environmental management and manufacturing excellence. Results-focused with a commitment to achieving high standards both individually and with colleagues through the leadership of multi-disciplinary teams. An adaptable manufacturing professional with a commercial and pragmatic approach to business processes and problem solving.
Looking for a new position from 1st April 2016 following closure of site.
Operations Director & Site Manager @ A contract cGMP manufacturing site supplying pharmaceutical and fine chemical products ranging from grammes to tonnes (lab to plant), API & intermediates and across development phase to commercial production with multiple new product introductions each year.
• Leadership of all aspects of site operation with responsibility for production, engineering, health, safety, environmental performance, project management, financial performance (P&L responsibility) and human resource management (including employee relations and consultation).
• Duty Holder for health, safety and environmental aspects, including controlled substances.
• As the senior manager and a company director, leadership of the site management team and responsible for effective communication with other sites, functions and company executives.
• Site achieved >30% revenue growth each year for three consecutive years and transitioned from loss to profit through increased plant utilisation, productivity and control of costs.
• Development and implementation of manufacturing strategy and general management of the site, including capital investment and organisation design.
• Leadership of a project to achieve voluntary EU GMP certification from the MHRA and subsequently multiple regulatory and customer audits.
• Planning and communication processes including operations workgroup training days, toolbox talks and daily cross-function ‘stand-up’ coordination meetings.
• Leadership of the project management function responsible for new product introductions. From 2010 to Present (5 years) Operations Director @ A privately owned contract manufacturing and development business based at the Holywell site which was acquired by Albany Molecular Research Inc. Approximately 50% of business was derived from new products across lab, pilot and plant scale operations.
• Accountable for the manufacturing, engineering and safety, health & environmental functions at the site and a member of the site management team.
• Responsible for a site improvement and capital investment programme.
• Improvement in on-time, in-full and schedule adherence performance through implementation of effective planning and monitoring processes and associated KPIs.
• Debottlenecking and improved reliability through the application of lean thinking tools. From 2007 to 2010 (3 years) UK Manufacturing Manager @ A biocides manufacturing business with multiple locations, including top tier CoMAH, and an integrated manufacturing chain, which transitioned from Avecia to Arch Chemicals ownership in April 2004.
• Operations responsibility for several manufacturing sites at different locations, including safety, health & environmental aspects as well as production and engineering.
• Management of costs including leadership of a business improvement programme that delivered a >20% reduction to sustain competitiveness.
• Development and implementation of a manufacturing strategy.
• Responsible for preparation and delivery of annual production and cost budget (fixed and variable). From 2004 to 2007 (3 years) UK Operations Manager @ From 2001 to 2004 (3 years) Operations Manager @ Joint venture between Avecia and Mitsui Chemicals manufacturing toner resin for printing applications.
• Overall responsibility for management of operations at the manufacturing plant.
• Completed a manufacturing excellence benchmarking study across three sister plants which resulted in an improvement programme for overall equipment effectiveness and cost efficiency. From 2000 to 2001 (1 year) Development Manager @ A multi-product, top tier CoMAH, fine chemical manufacturing facility including pharmaceutical products.
• Preparation and implementation of development strategy; provision of technical support to plants.
• Leadership of an in-depth hazard study programme across a wide range of processes.
• Management of health & safety aspects including leading a behaviour-based improvement team. From 1998 to 2000 (2 years) Technical Manager @ A continuous large-scale, high hazard top tier CoMAH manufacturing facility.
• Leadership of a multi-disciplinary technical support team (including a shift-based analytical team).
• Delivery of an improvement programme including re-traying a large distillation column, re-design of a storage & loading facility and increasing environmental compliance following regulatory changes.
• Front-end design of an effluent treatment plant including effluent stream characterisation.
• Provision of technical support and troubleshooting expertise to three production plants. From 1992 to 1998 (6 years) Process Engineer @ From 1988 to 1992 (4 years)
Master of Science (MSc), Process Business Management, Distinction @ University of WarwickPost Experience Certificate, Engineering Business Management @ University of WarwickMaster of Engineering (MEng), Chemical Engineering, First Class @ University of Nottingham David Shepherd is skilled in: Operations Management, Manufacturing, Health & Safety, Chemical Plant Operations, Pharmaceutical Industry, GMP, Chemical Engineering, Continuous Improvement, Management, Strategic Planning, Safety Management Systems, Environmental Management Systems, Product Development, Quality Assurance, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Word
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension