Chief Strategy and Innovation Officer @ Discount Tire Company
Director, Value Management @ Khimetrics
Master's Degree @
University of Cape Town
Over 20 years of delivering breakthrough performance from Data Science across a wide range of industries. Built and managed high-performing teams with stand-out year-over-year financial growth and delivery of innovation. Develops team and skills, motivates and retains top talent, ensuring financial performance and growth and providing focus and sense of urgency. Possesses unique ability to frame and
Over 20 years of delivering breakthrough performance from Data Science across a wide range of industries. Built and managed high-performing teams with stand-out year-over-year financial growth and delivery of innovation. Develops team and skills, motivates and retains top talent, ensuring financial performance and growth and providing focus and sense of urgency. Possesses unique ability to frame and deliver high impact use cases, 100’s of millions / year, where value can be quantified and realized quickly without major disruption to the organization.
Hot Topics: Big Data, Pricing & Sales Strategies, Predictive modeling, Cash flow Forecasts, Risk, Capital Deployment vs. Service Levels, Predictive Maintenance, Fraud Discovery, Real-time Signals
Sample Industries: Transport, Retail, Primary Industries, Utilities, Engineering, Software Technology.
Crystalizes answers to questions such as: How should leaders predict future outcomes and separate performance from the market? How to leverage and combine disparate data types and sources? When, where and how to leverage real-time decision support? Focuses team on driving successful results, and communicating value to facilitate action for competitive advantage.
Corporate Head Data Science @ Executive responsibilities for Business Intelligence and Data Science at Discount Tire. Develop strategies, algorithms and tools to elevate the Customer Experience; matching customers and their vehicles with the safest tires that meets their needs under local driving conditions. Leverage Big Data for all aspects of business benefits. Successfully developed leading edge Expert System to help customers with their tire purchase decisions. Ongoing development of predictive models and analytics for deep insights to better leverage people and corporate assets. Member of Governance committee for EPIC; a strategic transformational omni-channel program. From 2014 to Present (1 year) ScottsdaleChief Data Scientist and Global Vice President @ Built global organization from scratch that has executed 100+ highly innovative projects across a wide range of industries, including retail, manufacturing, transport, oil and gas, utilities, sports, CPG, high tech, financial services and public sector. Progressed from roles of Vice President Trading Industries and Vice President, Insight and Innovation, Business Transformation Services.
• Drove overall team success, with strong YOY financial performance from flawless project execution, including consecutive triple-digit YOY growth. In 2013: 133% YOY profit growth, and 48% YOY growth in bookings. Gained strategic relevance for company and propelled Big Data topic.
• Received outstanding annual performance assessments without exception (exceeds or consistently exceeds expectations). Honored with Services Excellence Award and was Winner’s Circle recipient. Identified as top talent.
• Elevated corporate brand and engaged with top executives providing thought leadership and vision directly for companies such as Norwegian Cruise Lines, Hunter Douglas, HSE24, and CSX.
• Increased company awareness by speaking at events including International Airlines Symposium, Chain Store Age Retail webinar on Big Data, Nike Analytics Day, Intel Big Data event, SAP Big Data Chat, and SAP Services Board of Advisors. Voted top speaker at MIT Chief Data Officer (CDO) Forum, an invitation-only event of high-level chief data officers and data leaders. Quoted in articles, such as Getting Started in Big Data in Wall Street Journal (2/4/2014) and Forbes.com
• Received SAP Labs MVP Innovation award for price zone optimization
• Developed new scientific way to model and forecast short lifecycle products and successfully applied this to fashion markdown optimization for Esprit
• Built and retained top talent, including stable, high performing management team leading to highly motivated organization with exceptionally talented and qualified staff and low attrition. From 2009 to 2014 (5 years) Global Head and Vice President, Performance and Insight Optimization Services @ Global Head of the Performance & Insight Optimization Services (PIO) at SAP. In this role, Ginsberg is responsible for leading and growing an organization focused on delivering advanced and predictive analytic solutions to customers. PIO is considered a Market Maker, and Ginsberg consistently delivers stand-out innovation and business success.
In 2012, 129% YOY profit growth, 98% YOY growth in bookings and 79% YOY growth in revenues. In 2011, 51% YOY profit growth, and 72% YOY growth in revenues. From 2009 to 2013 (4 years) Vice President, Trading Industries and Business Transformation Consulting @ • Chief Innovation Officer for SAP Trading industries
• Vice President, Insight and Innovation, Business Transformation Consulting
- Innovation award for Price Zone Optimization application, which was developed in conjunction with Microsoft and singled out by their CEO at NRF.
- Team developed a new scientific way to model and forecast short lifecycle products, and successfully applied to Fashion Markdown Optimization for Esprit. From 2006 to 2009 (3 years) Director, Value Management @ Built and managed a services team of 40 data scientists, business and technical consultants to implement and execute projects focused on econometric modeling and optimization for retail pricing and merchandising strategy. Customers included Albertsons, Big Y, PetSmart, Sterling Jewelers, 7-Eleven, and Lowes.
• Innovated and packaged new values-add services offerings, and grew associated revenues 65%+ annually. From February 2004 to December 2005 (1 year 11 months) Scottsdale, AzPrincipal @ Leveraged reputation as world expert in developing techno-economic “Mine to Markets” dynamic simulation models for capital projects, risk identification and strategy development.
• Developed and delivered enterprise forecasting model used by management for Freeport McMoran, which links all mines to markets operations, including ship macro and micro scheduling.
• Created and delivered dynamic business model for Australian Magnesium Corporation, synthesizing sales, production, logistics and financials that forecasted cash flow, aligned organization and assessed business opportunities. From January 2003 to February 2004 (1 year 2 months) Seattle, WashingtonExecutive Vice President Strategy and Partnering @ Recruited to build advanced analytics and management consulting business. Held positions including Managing Director Mining and Director, Decision Support, Enterprise Services Group. Operations Analysis was spun off as new business-to-business e-commerce company, where customers obtained leading-edge business analysis, process optimization and industry-specific analytic services.
• Developed and successfully executed long list of worldwide mining and mineral processing modeling and simulation projects including Antamina, BHP, Cominco, Freeport McMoran, Noranda, Nerungri, and Placer Dome.
• Created unique business simulation decision support tool for services sector to balance workforce with future projects and optimize financial performance. From 1996 to 2002 (6 years) Seattle, WashingtonManager, Advanced Technologies @ Built very profitable, entrepreneurial team that provided specialized analytic and advisory services including dynamic simulation, advanced control strategies and implementation, and multimedia training for mining and mineral processing industry. From 1992 to 1996 (4 years) Researcher @ Developed and implemented “revolutionary” software analysis and online learning tools to identify trends and outliers in complex, non-homogenous data. Improved calibration models and real-time insights, making a significant impact in the mineral processing industry From 1990 to 1992 (2 years) Researcher @ Designed and successful application of multivariable Variable Structure Control systems From 1988 to 1989 (1 year)
Ph.D., Julius Kruttschnitt Mineral Research Centre @ The University of Queensland From 1990 to 1992 Master's Degree, Electrical/Electronic Engineering @ University of Cape Town From 1988 to 1989 Bachelor's Degree, BSc Electrical/Electronic (Control) Engineering @ University of Cape Town From 1984 to 1987 David Ginsberg is skilled in: Data Science, Big Data, Innovation, Management, Predictive Analytics, Strategy, Leadership, Business Transformation, Business Development, Start-ups, Business Intelligence, Business Process..., Enterprise Software, Management Consulting, Analytics, SAP, Business Planning, Project Management, Rapid Prototyping, Business Analysis