Head of Engineering | AWS | Java | Agile/Scrum | SaaS @ Preservica
Head of Development | Azure | DevOps | Agile/Scrum | SaaS @ Autino
Head of Software Development | .NET | Agile/Scrum | SaaS @ Capita plc (Evolvi Rail Systems)
BTEC National Diploma @
I have been in the software development industry for over 21 years, with over 12 years of this managing development and test teams. I have worked for internet start-ups and large organisations with both onshore and offshore development teams. Throughout my career I have worked in a variety of roles, including software engineer and software architect, which
I have been in the software development industry for over 21 years, with over 12 years of this managing development and test teams. I have worked for internet start-ups and large organisations with both onshore and offshore development teams. Throughout my career I have worked in a variety of roles, including software engineer and software architect, which allows me to actively engage all levels of a development. My knowledge of working in large and small software businesses, on both B2B and B2C solutions, gives me the appreciation of the different constraints that must be overcome to successfully deliver technically challenging projects of all sizes.
• .NET, ASP.NET, SQL, VB.NET, C#, jQuery, HTML, CSS
• Agile, Scrum and Kanban Methodologies
• Visual Studio, Microsoft Project, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Axosoft
• TFS Build Automation, TFS Test Automation and Visual Studio Release Management
• Project Management
• Estimation and Planning
• Problem Solving
• Risk Management
• Managing Crisis Situations
• Identifying Critical Issues
Head of Software Development | .NET | Agile/Scrum | SaaS @ The primary product of Evolvi Rail Systems, part of Capita plc, is an online SaaS B2B rail booking and fulfilment system. It is the preferred choice of 22,000 corporate organisations and has over 1 million registered users making more than 40,000 bookings per day.
• I manage Evolvi’s mixed discipline, agile development teams, and have responsibility for the complete product lifecycle of all high profile and business critical development projects
• My daily duties include scope negotiation, stakeholder management, resource management, product roadmap maintenance, release planning, software security governance (for PCI compliance) and overseeing the full SDLC
• I drove the change from a waterfall lifecycle to agile (Scrum) and introduced build and test automation (using Microsoft TFS and Visual Studio Release Management), I was then able to reduce the time spent on defects by over 25% and invest this time into new features and technical debt reduction
• I am a certified Scrum Master which enables me to ensure the agile process is followed by each agile team. I chair the cross team Sprint Retrospective meetings and ensure we maximise efficiency by tailoring the agile process to best fit Evolvi’s needs
• I oversee the recruitment of all technical staff and have created a highly efficient delivery team, we match our competitors feature for feature with a much smaller headcount
• Evolvi consistently punches above its weight when it comes to technology and innovation. I have successfully overseen the development and release of a mobile ticketing app for iPhone, Android and Windows Phone which was delivered, by the specialist team I created, to a deadline thought impossible by the business. This has allowed us to win a contract with a large corporate client
• I strive to make the company a great place to work and encourage the team to reach their full potential, this has led to a very low turnover of staff and has maximised team spirit and morale From October 2011 to Present (4 years 3 months) Reading, United KingdomSenior Software Architect | .NET | SQL | Full Stack @ • As a Software Architect at Evolvi I used ASP.Net, SQL, HTML, XML, jQuery and AJAX during the creation of the new software architecture for the next generation of the Evolvi System.
• I led the introduction of automated code generation, serialisation and Microsoft’s AppFabric distributed caching to increase development output and sy stem performance.
• I introduced the Microsoft Certified Partner Program to Evolvi and acted as Microsoft liaison, ultimately achieving Gold Partner status. This provided access to the latest Microsoft technologies, saving over £250k in software licences, and enabled faster upskilling of the team. From March 2007 to October 2011 (4 years 8 months) Software Development Manager | B2C | B2B | SaaS @ DCS Automotive (now part of Reynolds and Reynolds) was one of the largest European suppliers of integrated solutions and services to the automotive retail sector, serving over 4,500 dealers.
• I was Development Manager for Microsoft Products in Europe with hands on responsibility for the UK based e-business development teams. Core products where developed in the UK with regional customisations taking place in multiple countries.
• I conceived and delivered a B2B SaaS product to allow dealers to manage their own websites and car stock, it was licensed worldwide and became the main source of e-business revenue.
• I was a presales technical advisor for corporate partners and clients worldwide (including BMW, Honda, Mercedes Benz, Saab and Subaru) and was involved in all high value e-business projects.
• I was brought in to troubleshoot a failing Showroom project. I worked closely with the existing DMS integration team to turn the project around and deliver a solution the client required, the project was later extended and successfully used across a number of dealer groups. From November 1998 to March 2007 (8 years 5 months) Senior Software Engineer | ASP | SQL | B2C @ Netica plc was an internet start-up company with a primary focus on the automotive industry although other web development projects were also undertaken.
• I had a leading role in the design and development of the AutoLocate used car search engine and consumer portal for Microsoft.
• I was also the lead developer an online ski results calculation system for the International Ski Federation (FIS-SKI) using ASP, Visual Basic and Microsoft SQL Server.
• I was involved with the development of a number of brochure style web sites including sites for Longines Watches and Versace. From March 1996 to November 1998 (2 years 9 months) Software Engineer @ Trust Software was a sister company to Atlas Internet, an early UK Internet Service Provider.
• I led the development of a secure Internet credit card ordering system for Barclays Bank developed using Visual Basic.
• I also led the development of EasiZip, a Windows based file compression application which was sucessfully sold direct to the general public.
• I was involved in the production of websites, including several e-commerce websites for companies such as LLC Licensing (Golden Eye, Apollo 13, etc.) and Pop Bands (Everything But the Girl), using HTML and CGI scripting. From July 1994 to March 1996 (1 year 9 months)
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension