Purchasing Commodity Management Team (CMT) Manager @ Navistar Inc
Purchasing Manager @ Lechler Inc.
B.S. Industrial Technology, Plastics and Polymer Engineering Technology @
Illinois State University
Over thirteen years of experience in Procurement, Supply chain, and Project Management. Results driven individual who is considered high performing and relationship focused. Ability to proactively identify and resolve problems, along with motivate associates to maximize productivity. Possesses hands-on, management, and supplier/customer relations experience in the manufacturing industry. Strong negotiation skills and problem solving abilities allow for
Over thirteen years of experience in Procurement, Supply chain, and Project Management. Results driven individual who is considered high performing and relationship focused. Ability to proactively identify and resolve problems, along with motivate associates to maximize productivity. Possesses hands-on, management, and supplier/customer relations experience in the manufacturing industry. Strong negotiation skills and problem solving abilities allow for an immediate contribution to any team.
Purchasing Commodity Management Team (CMT) Manager @ Multi facet procurement professional for a Top Fortune 200 Truck and Engine manufacturing firm. Led cross-functional team focused on Navistar’s $400M+ spend for foundation brakes, wheel ends, and air systems.
• Led a 15-member, cross functional, Component Management Team (CMT) in supplier, market, cost and business data analysis, in order to capture directed buy strategy and market approach.
• Exceeded 2014 individual cost savings goal of $4.6M by $1.9M ($6.5M total) and have exceeded 2015 goal of $3.7 by $3.4M ($7.1M total savings) in the first 7 months of the year.
• Developed go-to-market negotiation plans and executed aggressive programs which positioned group for substantial cost savings growth year-over-year.
• Fostered collaboration with product development, engineering, marketing, and manufacturing to provide cross functional communication, promoting team efforts toward our strategic, cost, and quality goals.
• Challenged suppliers, and internal customers on achieving standardization, and complexity reduction with reduced cost.
• Negotiate long-term contracts for brake and wheel ends that ensure competitive pricing for production product and
• Led commodity management team through several key hands on cost reduction summits, resulting in cost savings ideas worth over $4M.
• Led efforts to obtain supplemental $1.5M in warranty recovery from vendors by analyzing warranty claim data and obtaining technical support to present and negotiate business case to the supply base.
• Within 12 months in role, successfully exited out of 2 hostile supplier situations, ensuring supply continuum throughout the transitions, and resulting in better quality and over $3M in cost reduction.
• Utilized strategic sourcing processes including Total Cost of Ownership Models, Financial Viability Studies, Navistar Supplier Quality Assessments, and Problem Solving Decision Matrix's, to implement "best in class" sourcing practices. From October 2013 to Present (2 years 3 months) Purchasing Manager @ Single handedly ran the Purchasing Organization for a top global spray nozzle and engineered systems manufacturing company. As a General Manager direct report, responsibilities included managing procurement professionals to increase process efficiencies, reduce costs, and improve quality.
• Negotiated and implemented cost savings initiatives, resulting in a savings of 2% of the company’s outside supplier purchasing spend, within the first 6 months at the company.
• Transformed the procurement function from a de-centralized companywide responsibility, to a centralized organization.
• Resourced third largest supplier, in order to hit program deadlines, remove cost, and to exit out of a hostage situation.
• Implemented Lechler’s first ever Purchasing Manual, including the execution of a brand new purchasing requisition process. From January 2013 to September 2013 (9 months) Project Manager, Global Procurement @ Multi facet procurement professional for a Top Fortune 200 Truck and Engine manufacturing firm. Established and directed cross functional teams towards implementation of project plans which resulted in cost savings and waste reduction initiatives.
• Collaborated with cross functional teams for new product development programs and on time launches.
• Reported out on program milestones, timing, financials and progress monthly to top Navistar management.
• Established programs to improved supply bases’ purchasing capabilities, in order to reduce overall cost and improve lead times.
• Served as interim “Materials Manager” while plant startup phase was implemented. From August 2011 to January 2013 (1 year 6 months) Supply Manager (Commodity Manager) @ Multi facet procurement professional for a Top Fortune 200 Truck and Engine manufacturing firm. Position includes Purchasing ownership of all direct all buy responsibilities for a $150M Truck Equipment Manufacture (TEM) office, including trailers, recovery bodies, load handling systems, cranes, van bodies, and cargo bodies.
• Created strong buyer/seller relationships with vendors by creating partnerships to discuss upcoming needs, and determining how best to satisfy those needs by working together.
• Developed and executed commodity strategies that aligned with Navistar’s long term company objectives for strategic sourcing.
• Performed millions of dollars’ worth of cost negotiations, including cost decreases, cost avoidances, and upfront cost savings.
• Performed successful discussions in commercial issues beyond cost, including significant improvements in pay terms, terms & conditions, and quality related warranty reimbursements in the hundreds of thousands.
• Utilized Total Cost of Ownership Models, Financial Viability Studies, Navistar Supplier Quality Assessments, and Problem Solving Decision Matrix's, to implement "best in class" sourcing practices.
• Directly worked with suppliers’ top executives and management to expedite parts that were required for critical “Red Tag” and “Line Down” situations.
• Managed and sourced products to many overseas suppliers, including dealing with currency exchange rates, Incoterms, and sea freight lead times.
• Aided traditional "commercial" suppliers into becoming defense contractors by coaching them on the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR), Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFAR), Defense Priorities and Allocations System (DPAS), and International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). From 2005 to 2011 (6 years) Production Manager @ Production Manager for one of the Midwest’s top insert & straight injection molders, serving the automotive, and electronics field. As Owner/CEO direct report, responsibilities included directly supervising all plant personnel, including foreman, operators, maintenance, shipping, receiving, and tool room.
• Managed Foreman to successfully and efficiently run a three shift, six day per week production operation.
• Determined employee requirements and conducted all interviewing, hiring, and firing for plant personnel.
• Determined all raw material requirements and schedules in order to produce customer driven orders.
• Created the plant schedule for forty machines in ways that resulted in keeping costs down and inventory lean.
• Directly worked with suppliers to ensure on time delivery of all raw materials.
• Openly worked with customers to ensure on time delivery of their production demands, expedites, and schedule fluctuations.
• Implemented new plant processes and procedures in order to obtain the automotives’ highest quality standard, “TS16949”. From 2003 to 2005 (2 years) Molding Process Engineer @ Molding Process Engineer for The Intec Group, an 850 employee, $90M, leader in the insert injection molding field. Developed all molding processes using scientific injection molding principle and philosophies to ensure quality repeatability, and cycle time optimization.
• Ran cost reduction studies in order to continually increase company margins.
• Resolved all customer concerns by implemented permanent corrective actions to eliminate reoccurrences.
• Targeted and eliminated non-value added operations while maintaining same level of quality. From 2002 to 2003 (1 year) Engineering Intern @ From 2001 to 2001 (less than a year)
Master of Business Administration (MBA), General Management, 4.0 @ Keller Graduate School of Management From 2007 to 2010 B.S. Industrial Technology, Plastics and Polymer Engineering Technology, 3.6 @ Illinois State University From 1998 to 2002 Dan Leek is skilled in: Purchasing, Procurement, Supply Chain Management, Operations Management, Leadership, Negotiation, Dealing with Ambiguity, Accountability, Innovation, Works well in a team, Creativity, Lean Manufacturing, Project Planning, Analytics, Computer Proficiency
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension