Member of Management Committee @ The Harbour Project
Trustee @ Enrych
Policy Manager, Big Data, Resources and Skills Clusters, Capability @ ESRC: Economic and Social Research Council
Bachelor of Arts (B.A. Hons), Modern History and Politics, 1st @
University of Wales Institute Cardiff (UWIC), now Cardiff Metropolitan University
Member of Management Committee @ From June 2015 to Present (7 months) Swindon, United KingdomTrustee @ From January 2015 to Present (1 year) Policy Manager, Big Data, Resources and Skills Clusters, Capability @ I am in the Skills and Methods, Data and Resources and Big Data Clusters of Capability. My main areas of work are on phases
Member of Management Committee @ From June 2015 to Present (7 months) Swindon, United KingdomTrustee @ From January 2015 to Present (1 year) Policy Manager, Big Data, Resources and Skills Clusters, Capability @ I am in the Skills and Methods, Data and Resources and Big Data Clusters of Capability. My main areas of work are on phases 2 (business and local government data) and 3 (civil society and new forms of data) of the Big Data Network.
Case Officer of:
• The Urban Big Data Centre (Big Data 2)
• ESRC Business and Local Governments (BLG) Data Research Centre (Big Data 2)
• The Bloomsbury Doctoral Training Centre
• The Sussex Doctoral Training Centre
• The Scottish Referendum Study (Future of UK and Scotland)
• Utilising Big Data in the Practice of Torture Survivors' Rehabilitation (Big Data 3)
• A Profiler for Crime, Criminal Justice and Social Harm (Big Data 3)
• Contagion: transforming social analysis and method (Transformative)
• Using big data analytics and genetic algorithms to predict street crime and optimise crime reduction measures (Transformative)
• Interrogating the Dashboard: Data, Indicators and Decision-making (Transformative)
I also work on the Secondary Data Analysis Initiative, the Methods and Infrastructure Committee and am a member of the Future of the UK and Scotland Initiative project team. My cross-council activities are as a member of the Health and Safety Committee and the Swindon Office Sports and Social Club (SOSSC) Committee. From January 2014 to Present (2 years) Swindon, United KingdomPolicy Officer, Research Resources @ • Administrative and commissioning support for funding calls led by the Research Resources team, including the Secondary Data Analysis Initiative and the British Election Study.
• Lead responsibility for the ongoing management of grants including the UK Commission for Employment and Skills; Comparative Methods; and Phase 1 of the Secondary Data Analysis Initiative.
• Providing support for meetings led by the Research Resources team, including the Methods and Infrastructure Committee, through proof-reading and checking papers, compiling the Office Report and Chair’s Brief and attending meetings and taking Minutes.
• Supporting Case Officers within the Research Resources team as required, including support for the review of existing awards as appropriate.
• Participation in cross-team and cross-directorate projects, and providing other support to senior officers as required from time to time, especially where these provide developmental opportunities for learning new skills and gaining new knowledge.
• Specifically, working as part of the ESRC project team on the Future of Scotland to support the delivery of high quality, research based, independent evidence on the question of Scottish independence.
• Assisting senior colleagues in the development of new areas of activity, in the first instance the new Research Resource Impact activities.
With regard to the Commissioning duties identified above, these include: case officer checks, data entry and managing applications via Siebel, selection and management of peer reviewers, preparation of papers for commissioning panels which make funding recommendations and decisions, and issuing of grants. From December 2011 to December 2013 (2 years 1 month) Customer Service Administrator @ - Bereavement Closures
Dealing with sensitive data and contact with customers/solicitors at a sensitive time
Deemed fully competent on process after just 6 days on independent work
Nomination for 'star of the month' award on team
Work 100% quality checked and consistently found to be of high quality - Targeted environment - consistently meet or exceed targets
ISA Team (Temp)
Responsibility for error correction
Proficient across every ISA and Child Trust Fund process and good knowledge of other products.
Consistent positive feedback from other departments, employees and managers
Excellent feedback during one-to-ones. Received excellent feedback from management as a good team player
Trained others on Child Trust Fund process
Given responsibility regarding customer money, interest calculations, opening and closing of accounts
Received two "pride" recognition cards From January 2011 to December 2011 (1 year) Admin Assistant @ Spreadsheets and Compiling of databases for Oracle 11i project
Liaison with external companies
Production of company documents From January 2004 to September 2009 (5 years 9 months) Learning Development Administrator @ Planning and coordinating of internal and external training courses
Ensuring compliance with force financial processes and ensure Best Value
Updating personnel records
Assisting in the organization and management of the administration process.
Corresponding with both different departments and external companies via email, fax and telephone, in person and answering training enquiries
Updating the budget - Checking and authorizing payment of invoices
Assisting in Department development - providing ideas for improvement of the Department at a Department development day
Training new members of staff
Independent projects - NICHE RMS inputting project - RMS inputting training and Officer Safety Training project - compiling information
Calculating of better business processes with different departments From August 2007 to September 2008 (1 year 2 months) Sales Assistant/Customer Service Advisor @ • Staff training – EPOS and lottery machine
• Customer Service and Complaint Handling
• Trained on ‘Staying within the Law’ – sale of age restricted products
• Chip and Pin, Use of EPOS system, lottery machine
• Cash handling and putting in and taking out of cash drawers and counter caches
• Dealt with deliveries and stock replenishment, rotation and picking
• Worked in all departments: stationery, news, books, cash and wrap, cards From August 2004 to January 2007 (2 years 6 months)
Masters of Arts, Middle East Politics, Merit @ University of Exeter From 2009 to 2010 Bachelor of Arts (B.A. Hons), Modern History and Politics, 1st @ University of Wales Institute Cardiff (UWIC), now Cardiff Metropolitan University From 2007 to 2009 History and Politics @ Brunel University From 2006 to 2007 Data Mining and Data Exploration @ University of Oxford From 2013 to 2013 Psychology Research Methods @ Bath Spa University From 2013 to 2013 The Ridgeway School, Wroughton From 1999 to 2006 Sutton Trust Summer School, Social Sciences @ University of Bristol From 2005 to 2005 Christopher Carlton is skilled in: Policy, Research, Management, Time Management, Microsoft Excel, Customer Service, Project Planning, SPSS, Teamwork, Research Funding, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Leadership, Training, Government
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension