Director Energy Storage & Related Markets, Energy Group @ Canadian Solar (USA) Inc.
Principal @ Energy Strategies Group
University of California, Berkeley
Chet Lyons, an energy storage industry expert and accomplished speaker, is the founder and principal of Energy Strategies Group, a professional services consulting firm that assists innovative manufacturers, utilities, project developers and venture capital and other investors in establishing an early, profitable and sustainable role in the energy storage industry. Energy Strategies Group provides energy storage consulting
Chet Lyons, an energy storage industry expert and accomplished speaker, is the founder and principal of Energy Strategies Group, a professional services consulting firm that assists innovative manufacturers, utilities, project developers and venture capital and other investors in establishing an early, profitable and sustainable role in the energy storage industry. Energy Strategies Group provides energy storage consulting in two main areas: corporate business development and energy storage project development. Services include:
Corporate Business Development:
* Competitive analysis
* Business model development
* Strategy development
* Strategic partnering
* Corporate financing
* Proposal preparation for government grants and programs
* Project financing
* Technology selection
* Storage applications
* Project sponsor and partner identification
An international expert in energy storage and the commercialization of advanced energy technologies, Chet has extensive experience in energy storage applications, project development, solar PV, solar thermal and energy storage and other renewable energy technologies. He is expert in providing competitive analysis, business model development, strategy formation, strategic partnering, corporate financing, project financing, partner identification, and advice in selection of energy applications and energy storage technologies. Chet has held key management positions at DNV KEMA Energy & Sustainability, Beacon Power Corporation, American Superconductor, Evergreen Solar, Energy Resource Associates and Johnson Controls.
Director, Energy Storage @ Consulted to utilities, manufacturers and governments in the field of advanced energy storage and electric vehicles. Managed development of models that show how storage can be economically applied for peak power substitution, renewable integration, and transmission upgrade deferral. From November 2011 to December 2012 (1 year 2 months) Burlington, MADirector, Marketing & Sales @ Responsible for global marketing and sales; business development; overseas distribution; strategic partnering; brand development; identifying new applications.
* Helped win $24M ARRA Stimulus Grant from DOE (led proposal effort).
* Helped win $5M grant from Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (led application effort).
* Helped win $2M grant from New York Energy Research & Development. From December 2005 to October 2011 (5 years 11 months) Director, Strategic Corporate Marketing @ * Developed customer relationship with Sun Edison that led to a $200 million sales order over five years; later expanded to over $510 million.
* New product market assessment; financial analysis; oversight of design development; prototyping, wind tunnel testing and certification, electrical testing/certification, vendor selection, and beta testing 5 installations up to 50 kW.
* Financial models for large-scale PV plants. From 2003 to 2006 (3 years) Vice President, Corporate Strategic Marketing @ * Championed new superconducting generator (”SuperVAR”), voted 'Most Promising Pre-Commercial Technology' by Platts Global Energy.
* Implemented formal market planning in three business units. From January 2001 to January 2002 (1 year 1 month) President & CEO @ * Developed strategy, wrote plan, raised $8 million in equity.
* Recruited executive team, managed P&L, built a national media brand (CollegeBroadcast.com)
* Built network of 227 college cable TV stations.
* Built Internet broadband portal with 15 content areas and 50,000 colleage viewers per day.
* Live interviews on CNN fn, CBS (The Early Show), Fox News. From 1998 to 2000 (2 years) Partner @ * Strategy development, business planning, market research, and technology commercialization services for utilities in the U.S. and Canada.
* Wrote business plans and helped start energy services performance contracting (ESCO) subsidiaries. for Duke Power, Utilicorp, Boston Gas, Central Maine Power, Orange & Rockland, Pennsylvania Power & Light, From 1995 to 1998 (3 years) VP, International Energy Services Company @ * Planned and helped start ESCO joint venture in Australia with Sydney Electricity.
* Directed project for USAID and World Bank to evaluate trade barriers in India which led to creation of INTESCO energy services subsidiary.
* Provided energy services development and business planning for Houston Lighting and Power, Southern California Edison, Southern Indiana Gas & Electric, Georgia Power, Pacific Gas & Electric, Nova Scotia Power. From 1989 to 1994 (5 years) President & Co-founder @ * Planned and helped start energy services (ESCO) business for Johnson Controls.
* Trained sales, marketing and engineering staff at corporate, regional and branch levels in the U.S. and Canada (18 branches).
* Sales for Johnson's new energy services/performance contracting business exceeded $1 billion per year within 10 years and was named Johnson’s 3rd core business. From 1982 to 1988 (6 years) Marketing Manager @ * Developed plan and helped launch profitable subsidiary for Fortune 500 parent (ABMI)
* Sold design/build energy retrofit contracts to commercial, institutional and government clients. From 1980 to 1982 (2 years) Marketing Product Manager @ * Turned around troubled product development of a building automation system targeted at commercial, institutional and government markets; product was released on-time and successfully countered Honeywell offering.
Systems Sales Engineer (Boston, MA)
* Sold building automation systems; top salesman in program designed to develop features for next generation product; was the first non-engineer hired by the Boston branch; promoted to Marketing Product Manager. From 1977 to 1980 (3 years)
MBA, General Management @ Boston University Questrom School of Business From 1986 to 1988 BA, Environmental Studies @ University of California, Berkeley From 1973 to 1976 Chet Lyons is skilled in: Buiness Development, Marketing Strategy, Product Management, Project Finance, Business Strategy, Proposal Writing, Project Management, PV, Energy Storage, Capital Formation, Solar Energy, Start-ups, Strategic Partnerships, Venture Capital, Renewable Energy, Smart Grid, Alternative Energy, Cleantech, Business Development, Management, Wind, Market Research, CRM, Photovoltaics, Competitive Analysis, Strategy, Financial Modeling, Energy, Product Development, Program Management, Business Planning, Energy Efficiency, Electricity Markets, Energy Policy, Sustainable Energy, Energy Markets, Demand Response, Energy Management, Product Marketing, Energy Conservation, Smart Metering, Manufacturing, Engineering, Electric Power, Power Generation, Electric Vehicles, Mergers & Acquisitions, Biomass, Solar Thermal, Green Technology
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension