Bachelor of Science (BS) @
Columbia University in the City of New York
Ten years of data science, quantitative research, and software development experience across technology, finance, government, and higher education sectors. Managed software engineering projects with up to six developers. Designed and built end-to-end research and analytics data pipelines from point of data collection to final analysis across diverse domains including machine learning applied to noisy biological signals for
Ten years of data science, quantitative research, and software development experience across technology, finance, government, and higher education sectors. Managed software engineering projects with up to six developers. Designed and built end-to-end research and analytics data pipelines from point of data collection to final analysis across diverse domains including machine learning applied to noisy biological signals for prosthetic control and page-turn user analytics to drive sales in a consumer mobile reading app.
Data Scientist @ • Exploited customer analytics to increase subscription gross margin by 35 percentage points.
• Discovered fraud pattern that increased free-trial costs 12% and implemented automated system to prevent it.
• Presented actionable, evidence-based recommendations to CEO and CFO on business model decisions, operational optimizations, and strategic initiatives.
• Performed analysis that informed contract negotiations with content providers by applying a model I developed of end user behavior to potential clauses of our licensing agreements.
• Built production recommendation system using matrix factorization and Bayesian modeling.
• Developed ETL pipeline processing billions of user interactions to optimize business decisions around key metrics such as engagement, retention, and content costs using python/pandas, scala/spark, mesos, postgresql, redshift, and AWS technology stack. From October 2014 to Present (1 year 3 months) Greater New York City AreaPostdoctoral Scientist @ • Determined how brain activity codes arm movement to develop brain-controlled prosthetics.
• Decoded high throughput brain activity (up to 10 million data points per second) in real time using machine learning tools including: SVM, neural networks, KNN, GMM, regression, plus Bayesian and custom algorithms as well as statistical analysis in Python with numpy and pandas, Matlab, and Excel.
• Trained monkeys to play a haptic video game and collected neural activity data from their brains.
• Designed, constructed, and developed software for experimental control and acquisition system consisting of:
- Real-time system in C/C++ responsible for control of 400W motors in contact with research subjects including all safety logic, game logic, TTL/ADC acquisition code, and network interface to other systems
- Graphics system implementing a 3D virtual environment, written in C# with Unity
- Data collection system in Python accumulated multiple custom network protocol data streams
- Audio processing for operator feedback in Pure Data with MIDI interface for audio mixer
- Online data analysis, plotting, and task parameter control GUI in MATLAB, and Java/AWT
• Present research findings at scientific conferences and in peer-reviewed papers. From October 2012 to October 2014 (2 years 1 month) Greater New York City AreaResearch Associate @ - Engineered brain-interfacing experimental prosthetic devices with funding from NIH and DARPA.
- Used signal processing to decode brain activity (up to 10 million data points per second) in real time.
- Developed neurosurgical interventions and lead six person teams to perform them on monkeys.
- Oversaw $600k laboratory renovation. Interfaced with regulatory staff, facilities, and contractors
- Designed and applied machine learning and statistical algorithms to neural data to predict decisions.
- Ran simulations of models on distributed hadoop and MDCE cluster.
- Managed team of researchers in expanding and maintaining experimental control software code base. From March 2012 to September 2012 (7 months) Greater Chicago AreaSoftware Consultant @ - Built own business to do contract software development for small business clients in PHP and mySQL.
- Solicited clients and maintained client relationships for repeat business.
- Developed video over IP system for institutional market including server software and set-top-box interface.
- Designed and administered websites for more than 10 small businesses, including ecommerce capability. From 2004 to 2008 (4 years) Greater Chicago AreaLab & Research Specialist @ From July 2002 to September 2004 (2 years 3 months) Junior Associate, Financial Analytics and Structured Transactions @ From June 2001 to January 2002 (8 months) Greater New York City Area
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), Neuroscience @ Northwestern University From 2004 to 2012 Bachelor of Science (BS), Electrical Engineering @ Columbia University in the City of New York From 1998 to 2002
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension