I am highly experienced software engineer with 17+ years of demonstrated excellence in software development, quality, automation & performance. I am truly passionate about working in and coaching awesome & high performing teams & business units. Over the years I have come to recognize that I deeply care about and have been shaped by the values of
I am highly experienced software engineer with 17+ years of demonstrated excellence in software development, quality, automation & performance. I am truly passionate about working in and coaching awesome & high performing teams & business units. Over the years I have come to recognize that I deeply care about and have been shaped by the values of communication, learning, critical thinking, transparency & honesty.
I dislike job titles. Experience shows that they tend to create a physical and emotionally suffocating container for engineers. HR pins a title on me, but it never describes what I’m REALLY doing. My attitude is one that says “I’ll do all or any of the things if that’s what it takes to get product out the door”. Call me a “generalist” if you want; just know that I have depth in software quality assurance, automation, performance, and agile practices.
My work history started with testing hardware configurations for goofy video games like “Barbie Riding Club” in the late 90s and has evolved to the “more serious” in the last decade with testing and development for enterprise infrastructure, platforms & services.
Cassandra, Elasticsearch, Logstash, Kibana, Node.js, Ceph, JBOD Cloud Storage, Puppet, .NET, Web Services, REST Services, SOA, WSE 2.0-3.0, SOAP, MOM-RabbitMQ, IPSEC, LDAP, InstallShield, COM, CDO, IIS, MySQL, SQL, ActiveX, HTTP, HTTPS, Flash, Internet Browsers, Windows, Linux, Mac
Mocha, Test Studio, WebAII, Watir, Selenium, nUnit, JUnit, PHPUnit, TestNG, mbUnit, SOAtest, Achilles, Paros, Web Scarab, HTTPWatch, WireShark, Fiddler, Mercury Quality Center, SilkTest, SilkPerformer, JMeter
Visual Studio, Eclipse, InteliJ, WebStorm, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator
Git, Jenkins, MSBuild, VSS, CVS, SVN, TFS
Software Engineer @ Working within the Data Platform business unit I am:
• DevOps for the Go Daddy shared, global Cassandra platform (~200 nodes)
• Scrum master for Cassandra platform team
• Developer for Cassandra REST API using Node.js & Strongloop/Loopback
• Agile Coach for the business unit. Focusing on Scrum, XP technical practices, and team alignment to business unit and company objectives.
• Spent about 30 days helping to bring an experimental CEPH cluster/platform up From November 2014 to Present (1 year 2 months) Phoenix, Arizona AreaEnterprise Agile Champion & Coach @ • Kick-started the agile initiative for the organization. Worked with management/leadership to drive organizational change.
• Coached teams daily on theory and practice of agility (Scrum, Kanban, Lean methodologies, and technical practices)
• Created & facilitated Product Owner training/workshop for individuals
• Created & facilitated Scrum Master training/workshop for individuals
• Created “Agile 101” training/workshop for teams
• Mentored Product Owners and Scrum Masters
• Facilitated Scrum team ceremonies, product/team Lift-Off events (alignment, vision building, mission building, backlog building), Business Unit self re-orgs, and conflict resolution
• Fostered Community of Practices focused on agility From February 2013 to November 2014 (1 year 10 months) Phoenix, Arizona AreaSQA & Automation Manager @ I curently manage the technical direction of the automation team and help with the direction of automation in the company. My team and I have built a home grown testing API with .NET, using Visual Studio as a test harness, that is capable of testing at all Web application layers (e.g. Browser, Web Servie, COM, database). Using Visual Studio has sparked interest (my QA plot) in developers for writing better unit tests. We are currently working on moving some our automated tests up in the process where they can be run on the developers continous integration servers. From June 2007 to February 2013 (5 years 9 months) Phoenix, Arizona AreaStaff QA Engineer @ Staff QA Engineer: Corporate Security Group
• Provide quality assurance and testing for Corillian Security products ; Functional (white and black), system compatibility, standards compatibility, browser compatibility, system integration, database validation, security, performance, scalability, and stress testing.
• Provide quality related input during all project phases within in agile environment.
• Participate in and test product security threat modeling tasks.
• InstallShield and MSI installer testing.
• Find or create needed test tools.
• Built an automation framework using SWEAutomation and nUnit which saved 8 hours of manual testing time per build.
• Conducted scalability testing at Microsoft Scalability Labs that helped to nearly double the product’s scalability.
• Built a test framework that emulated 23 Web server log formats so that 1 test case could be automatically generated into 23 cases (1 for each log format) From July 2005 to June 2007 (2 years) Senior QA Engineer @ Senior QA Engineer: Professional Services Group
• Provide quality assurance and testing for banking Web sites and Web applications for top 100 banks and all sizes of credit unions. Quality initiatives include: Analyze requirements, create test estimates, develop test plans, interact with customer on test objectives, developing test cases, iterative QA and testing, reporting results, analyzing and reporting budgets, leading 1-12 testers on various sized projects.
• Provide Web site implementation performance and load testing using Segue SilkPerformer.
• Provide Web site test case automation using Segue SilkTest.
• Research and manage use of test tools for the team in an effort to decrease manual testing effort and increase testing efficiency. From April 2001 to July 2005 (4 years 4 months) QA Manager @ QA Manager: Professional Services Group
• Manage a team of 15 QA Engineers.
• Project planning, tracking, reporting and estimation for quality objectives.
• Interface with internal and external customers on quality objectives and issues.
• Created, documented, and managed Quality strategies, initiatives, processes, and best practices that ensured consistent and dependable product quality. From April 2003 to April 2004 (1 year 1 month) QA Engineer @ QA Engineer:
• Analyze requirements, create test procedures, plans, cases, and conducted white box testing of a Java Client-Server ACH-Credit Card payment engine (similar to PayPal).
• Administer Merant PVCS Tracker as a defect tracking database for QA and an issue-tracking database for customer service.
• Create and maintain continuous build scripts.
• Created and maintained a Java/MKS Test Harness that served as the regression test suite for both QA and Developers.
• Increased group efficiency and decreased confusion by building an intranet site that served as a portal for all internal documentation.
• Provided continuous code integration by creating and administering From 2000 to 2001 (1 year) QA Engineer @ QA Engineer: Marketing Group
• Analyze requirements, create test plans and cases, conduct testing, and provide testing and defect reports for internal and external customers.
• Lead test engineers in testing of 14 localizations of the Intel WebOutfitter Service (IWOS), its supporting affiliate sites, and tools.
• Setup and maintain test machines with applicable international operating systems and browsers.
• Automate web page functional testing with Segue SilkTest.
• Provide mentorship for team members on test methodology and technology.
• Recognized the need for test organization and acted as a project lead by taking tasks and distributing them among the team. This was done by creating an intranet QA portal site that described, delegated and gave deadlines for open tasks. Team and project productivity was further enhanced when the site acted as a portal for developers and managers. From February 1999 to March 2000 (1 year 2 months) QA Engineer @ QA Engineer, Hardware/Software Compatibility and Multimedia Testing
• Create test plans, test cases, test reports, and executed tests for hardware compatibility with multimedia titles such as children’s games, educational programs, 3D games (OpenGL, DirectX), and HTML/Flash CD demos.
• System compatibility testing of hardware such as printers, mice and children’s interactive toys.
• Manage and test all Web related projects.
• Helped achieve external exposure for the company be redesigning the PCTest.com internet site.
• Increased testing efficiency by creating multiple, quick environment refreshes utilizing Ghost. From 1997 to 1999 (2 years)
Brent Strange is skilled in: Test Automation, Scrum, Software Quality Assurance, Cassandra, Selenium, C#, Java, Test Planning, SDLC, Web Applications, Web Testing, Performance Testing, Manual Testing, Visual Studio, Perl
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension