Ashley is an architect of large scale distributed systems. He has architected both AT&T's content distribution network (CDN) and Microsoft's edge network - both of which are now in production. He has lead the design and collaboration across Microsoft of a unified DNS platform that scales in multiple axes (large footprint, massive library, fast update propagation). Ashley
Ashley is an architect of large scale distributed systems. He has architected both AT&T's content distribution network (CDN) and Microsoft's edge network - both of which are now in production. He has lead the design and collaboration across Microsoft of a unified DNS platform that scales in multiple axes (large footprint, massive library, fast update propagation). Ashley is now focusing on providing high value network analytics to Azure customers.
Ashley has a Phd in Applied Mathematics focusing on Internet routing protocols and crosses many technical boundaries from distributed system design, data science, to network and software engineering. He is also confident explaining technical details in simple terms. He is an inventor, prototyper and advocate for new system architecture.
Specialties: Primary: Distributed System Design, BGP, CDN, DNS, OSPF, Big Data Analysis, Perl, System Abstraction/Interface Design, Explaining complex systems in simple terms
Director, Technology Product Management @ From October 2015 to Present (1 month) Greater Seattle AreaPrincipal SDE Manager @ Dev Lead for Azure Network Analytics From February 2015 to September 2015 (8 months) Greater Seattle AreaPrincipal Program Manager @ Architect for concept, design, data analysis and monitoring of large scale distributed global Edge Network delivering high performance for dynamic and static content. Architect/PM for highly scalable global DNS infrastructure. Architect for Azure's Software Defined Networking enabling on demand flexible customer network creation. Mentor for several junior team members From September 2013 to February 2015 (1 year 6 months) Redmond, WASenior Program Manager @ Senior Program Manager in Bing's Autopilot team - optimizing the network connectivity to Bing's data centers for all Internet users. From January 2012 to September 2013 (1 year 9 months) Bellevue, WADistributed Systems Engineer/Architect @ Content Routing Systems Engineer
• Invented a new algorithm that improved the accuracy of AT&T’s content routing by over 18% improving user performance and reducing AT&T’s network costs. This work resulted in an AT&T Labs President Award.
• Looked upon to explain and solve the trickiest (i.e. no-one else can solve) CDN routing related issues.
• Created models with real data to predict future and analyse current CDN behavior. Enabled greater access to these models by providing a web interface to reporting. This tool is used daily by performance engineers.
• Invented AT&T’s IPv6 content routing algorithm.
• Provided training to internal and external AT&T teams on CDN operation and Internet routing.
AT&T NextGen CDN Architect, Systems Engineer and Planner
• Created a Service model for AT&T’s NextGen CDN Platform enabling flexible distributed system design.
• Identified simple solutions to capacity management and resource contention on a shared platform.
• Negotiated and prevented ‘feature creep’ across all areas of the system to ensure a simple and viable solution was designed.
Compute-as-a-Service (AT&T’s cloud offer) Planner and Systems Engineer
• Received an AT&T Vice President’s Award for data modeling the complex networking solution into intuitive components for both internal and customer facing topology descriptions.
• Used own initiative to create a prototype user interface that highlighted the benefits of following a structured model for topology creation.
• Provided end-state vision and the steps to reach it for the CaaS service.
CaaS Global Load Distribution Systems Engineer
• Created a solution to enable global load distribution across multiple CaaS sites with flexible policy definition.
Route Monitor Systems Engineer
• Designed a route monitoring system that collects BGP data from the numerous AT&T networks throughout the world and distributes this data to the subscribers in a timely and reliable manner. From February 2009 to January 2012 (3 years) Middletown, New JerseyTutor @ From January 2005 to January 2009 (4 years 1 month) Intern @ From June 2007 to October 2007 (5 months) Florham Park, NJ
Phd, Applied Mathematics @ University of Adelaide From 2005 to 2009 Bachelor of Engineering, Information Technology & Telecommunications @ University of Adelaide From 2000 to 2004 Bachelor of Science, Mathematical & Computer Science @ University of Adelaide From 2000 to 2003 Ashley Flavel is skilled in: Perl, Java, Data Modeling, Distributed Systems, Matlab, BGP, OSPF, MySQL, HTTP, MPLS, PHP, HTML, DNS, TCP/IP, VPLS, scalability, Data Analysis, Modeling, Scalability, Computer Science, Linux, System Architecture, Cloud Computing, Data Center, Networking, Management, Software Engineering, Integration, Software Development, Algorithms, Solution Architecture, Machine Learning, Programming
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension