Principle Cloud & Security Architect @ Camelot Global
Cloud Architect (AWS, Azure and Google) @ Altran UK
'O' Levels @
Old Swinford Hospital School
AWS Architect @ Altran is a global leader in innovation and high‐tech engineering. The company has been providing services for around thirty years to key players in the Aerospace, Automotive, Energy, Railway, Finance, Healthcare and Telecoms sectors.
My role, as an AWS Architect, is to work with Altran's key client, Telefonica, and it's business alliance partner, AT&T
AWS Architect @ Altran is a global leader in innovation and high‐tech engineering. The company has been providing services for around thirty years to key players in the Aerospace, Automotive, Energy, Railway, Finance, Healthcare and Telecoms sectors.
My role, as an AWS Architect, is to work with Altran's key client, Telefonica, and it's business alliance partner, AT&T in USA, to design an AWS platform for their end client, being O2.
In the USA, AT&T has pioneered the concept of Internet of Things (IoT), allowing users to benefit the services offerings from home security, including home automation, through to gas and electricity monitoring.
The same offerings are planned by O2 in the UK, and the platform of choice is AWS. My objective, is to bring together the relevant teams accross the globe, to understand the requirements, replicate the services provided by AT&T and offer a similar service to UK consumers, but on the AWS platform.
I will be advising, on the HLD and LLD, on Telefonica's SmartHome, AWS architecture.
This depicts a 3-tier architecture, with redundant EC2 instance types, Load Balanced by ELB's, spread across 2 x availability zones, and 6 x subnets. This will also involve, designing and planning the Security Groups, and NACL's, together with configuring Autoscaling, while also looking at options for Automation (Puppet) and Backup (Zabbix) From December 2015 to Present (1 month) London, United KingdomTechnical Architect/Infrastructure SME @ • As part of the Data Centre Migration Project, my role is to migrate applications and servers to new DC’s
• Due to the sensitive and secure nature of the project, there are many challenges facing this project, namely, access rights, multiple domains, and sensitive apps & databases
• To design and architect the smooth migration of Wintel applications (Oracle SPARC related Apps), using Platespin and Double Take. Liaising with the Business Owners, Solution Architects, BT and UNISYS, Oracle and SPARC technical teams to plan and migrate both Wintel and PoC for SPARC to T5-2 environment.
• By using the output from discovery tools like, ADDM and Platespin Recon, my objective is to create Technical Architecture Reports, by gathering such information, as well as in-depth analysis of Applications and their dependencies. ‘Deep-diving’ into the server estate, to understand the application/Systems design, and plan a migration using custom ‘run-books’, with the testers, Business/App owners. From September 2015 to December 2015 (4 months) London, United KingdomAWS Infrastructure Engineer @ o Low Level application analysis & discovery (AMP – Application & Migration Passport)
o Bandwidth testing from DC to AWS (MikroTik, Wireshark, iPERF,etc)
o Design & Migration Planning (Citrix & business apps), both VDI (hosted desktops & Apps)
o Working closely with TCS (Tata Consultancy Services) to plan & migration and deliver applications to AWS (adhering to strict Change Control practices)
o Producing both HLD & LLD’s (High Level & Low Level Designs)
o Responsibility of taking the Lead role in owning the migration end-to-end process. Taking ownership of applications (Citrix and standalone), right from business engagement, internal technical testing, to UAT and final cut-over. Also providing single point-of-contact after ‘go-live’, where necessary support and guidance is needed
o Build of AWS base infrastructure – Windows Server 2012 designing, building and implementing in the VPC (creating security groups, tags & key pairs. Create new Active Directory OU structure, together with new GPO’s)
o Reduce Data Centre footprint - V2V/P2V and V2C (Cloud). VMware 5 and 5.5 estate covering Operating systems from Windows 2000, 2003, 2008 R2 and Windows 2012
o Design and manage implementation of AWS network link, as well WSUS and Sophos AV
o Design various processes to migrate to AWS – EC2 and AWS CLI, AWS Connector for VMWare, Double Take, and AppZero. Assessing applications that need migrating, from Windows OS to Linux platforms. Once built, hand over for QA then to pass to Dev Team
o BMO implementation (backup, monitoring & orchestration), specifically, Bacula & Zabbix via Puppet
o Provide Infrastructure support to live environment post cutover and BAU workstream. Troubleshooting tools such as, nmap, Wireshark, btest, jperf, PAL
o Support of Active Directory, Group Policy (maintaining and configuring), DNS/ DHCP/ TCP/IP etc and VMWare estate, as well as current Citrix XenApp 6.5 farm estate From February 2015 to September 2015 (8 months) Infrastructure Engineer @ River Island is in the process of outsourcing as many applications as possible to the ‘Cloud’. The cloud provider is HP-ECS (HP Enterprise Cloud Services).
Working directly with, and reporting to, the Infrastructure Technical Manager, my role is to audit, analyse various applications, and help plan and migrate to the cloud.
Liasing with 3rd party software vendors, to provide possible solutions of cloud migration, whether it be ‘like-for-like’ migration or deploy Terminal Services/Remote Desktop Services within a Windows 2008 R2 environment.
Raising necessary cases to deploy vm’s, firewall rules/ports, and test connectivity and working with vendors to install the applications. Provide a full project timescale and UAT testing before ‘Go-Live’ date.
Responsible for: LanDesk, Cognos (including Citrix), Qube, Styleman, IHF (In-house-fulfilment), WMS & OMS (Warehouse/Order Management System ), Traveller, and Sage
Key technologies: Windows 2003/2008 (& R2)/2012. Active Directory/WINS/DNS/DHCP/TCP/IP/Firewall and port queries. VMware ESX 4 & 5.1. Solarwinds. MS Clustering/Terminal Services (RDS)Citrix Xenapp 6.5
Away from this migration I was also involved in the testing of a new rollout of Store software to all 300 stores. This involved working with PWC and their E-Business Suite of products, namely Timekeeper. Testing the deployment of specific versions of Java to work with Oracle software From April 2014 to February 2015 (11 months) London, United KingdomProjects Engineer @ • Server builds and migration in VMware (Windows Server 2008 R2 and 2012)
• Active Directory, Domains & Trusts, WINS, DNS, Group Policy management. Msi package deployment via GPO. Active Directory clean-up - disable and delete stale objects. Monitor domain admin account activity
• Manage and transition the the upgrade to a Windows 2012 Domain functional level
• Administration and monitoring of Physical and Virtual environment using Nagios' OpsView. VMWare vSphere 5.1 (client and Web Client)
• Testing and imporoving DR processes for client like Tesco, Sainsbury's, Asda and Pappa John's
• Deployment and management of Endpoint Security: McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i & ePO 4.6. Endpoint Encryption (now Data Protection) Anti-virus, authentication and Device Control. Upgrading to VSE8.8 & ePO 5.1
• Installing & Configuring SQL Server 2012 on Windows Server 2012 R2, for McAfee ePO 5.1 upgrade
• Investigate Bitlocker and McAfee DLP (Data Loss protection) - USB & external hard drive encryption
• Scope and design a MAC OS integration into Isotrak's Active Directory
• VM deployment and migration to hosted cloud on vCloud Director 5.1
• Citrix Xenapp v6 & 6.5
• Build and Deploy Citrix Secure Gateway From November 2013 to April 2014 (6 months) Milton Keynes, United KingdomSenior Wintel Infrastructure Engineer @ • As a Project Engineer based on site at Lewisham, my role is to help various Project Managers deliver their various projects, on different work streams.
• Technical Lead for Northgate – Anite OHMS upgrade to R51. This involved application deployment using Altiris, and application publishing in Citrix XenApp 5 environment. Working with Oracle DBA to upgrade back-end and follow on for UAT before go-live
• Technical Lead for LLPG Upgrade. Build physical server and liaise with CadLine for testing.
• Technical Lead for Learning Guide manager Upgrade. Application packaging & deployment using SCCM 2007
• Citrix XenServer 6: Installation & Administration and HA. XenConvert, XenMotion, vApps From August 2013 to October 2013 (3 months) Wintel Infrastructure Engineer @ Part of a team, within the DCR (Data Centre Rationalisation) Intiiative, to analyse TFL's server estate, and determine which ones can be P2V'd, decommissioned, or Lift & Shift
Using standard tools to help find relevant information, and liase with Business and application owners to smoothly migrate boxes accross from 1 DC to another. The biggest challenge is to find service owners/users of various applications, shares, ftp sites or websites. Raising Changes via Remedy, attending CAB meetings, and engaging relevant parties. These servers vary from ftp/SQL/Web/Apps/ Backups/Fax/Telephony
VMWare's Capacity Planner was used to determine taget machines that can be P2V'd. ADDM tool from Quest used to find server to service mappings.
New virtual environment is VMWare 5.1, with back-end storage as either Netapp/Isolon From May 2013 to August 2013 (4 months) London, United KingdomServer & Storage Infrastructure Engineer @ Netapp, Data Ontap, Snap Suite of products, Windows, VMWare, SQL, Citrix, Symantec, SCOM, SCCM
• BAU support (Daily Checks and actions), using SupportWorks. Take ownership and resolve
• Maintaining the virtual environment (VMWare 4.1/5)
• Full Netapp Administration - Aggregates/Volumes/LUN's, including the Snap Suite of products (SMVI, SMSQL, Snapmirror for DR purposes). Shelf and cable management. Administraion of DFM, OnCOmmand, and Performance Advisor
• Tape backups using Symantec's BackupExec 2012
• Managing and maintaining the Exchange 2010 environment, including BES and BB Device management.
• Maintain all hardware (HP DL's and blades). Commissioning and de-commissioning servers
• Monitoring and maintaining standard IT Infrastructure, such as, Active Directory, DNS/WINS. Gropu Plicy management (Creating, Testing and applying). Data migrations, from old NAS boxes to Netapp Filers, and local servers to Filers. Server Consolidation and Decommissioning.
• Application Support, such as, ICE, Breast Screening, CACI Data Warehousing, OrderComms, BigHand, WardWare, etc.
• Troubleshooting all hardware and software with environment, as well as liasing with 3rd part Application Teams. From November 2012 to May 2013 (7 months) Luton, United KingdomInfrastructure Engineer @ Haringey Council supports over 3000 users across multiple sites in the North London area. As part of the Infrastructure Team, my primary duty, is for the BAIT project (Business Application and Integration Testing) This is part of the major IRP Project (Infrastructure Renewal Programme) This is a major migration of hardware and software, from Citrix MetaFrame v4 to XenApp v5.
Secondary to BAIT, are ad-hoc projects and BAU support.
• Server builds and deployment (Altiris DS)
• Upgrade and testing of Civica Fraud apps and systems (including SQL Server 2008 R2)
• VMWare 4.1 & vSphere Client 5
• Active Directory. WINS/DNS/DHCP/Group Policy
• Citrix Presentation Server v4 and XenApp 5. Installing & publishing apps. Full UAT testing
• Design, Installation & configuration of 2X software for Terminal Services. Testing of applications installation & configuration, on laptops, pc’s, iPhone, iPad, & android for a cloud solution. Complete solution design from universal printing & scanning to ftp uploads
• LogRhythm v188.8.131.52
• SCOM 2007
• HP LeftHand SAN P4500
• Netapp FAS 2050’s (aggregates/volumes, and LUN provisioning)
• HP DL 380’s and BL 460c’s
• Administration of SEP Symantec Endpoint Protection) v12.1 and LUA (Live Update Server), including upgrade to v2.3.1 From March 2012 to November 2012 (9 months) Solutions Engineer @ Attenda are a Managed Services Solutions company, currently managing business & brand applications for over 134 companies of Europe’s leading companies. As a Solutions Engineer, my role within the Service Transition Team, is to cover the core infrastructure environment. This involves, Server builds, via Altiris, or workflow, application installation and configuration, and networking, as per the clients requirements.
• Technical Planning – working with PM’s to plan out IT infrastructure deployments
• Solution Configuration Design – Planning configuration variables ready for deployment
• Solutions Build – hardware, firmware, service packs, operating systems (via NetIQ’ Aegis (WorkFlow)), and server applications. Server builds (Windows 2003/2008 R2), SQL Server installation & configuration, SQL clustering and mirroring. Cisco fabric switch installation & configuration (MDS – 91xx). vSAN’s & zoning. Storage provisioning with Netapp or 3Par
• Netapp – creating Aggregates/Volumes/LUN’s. 3Par – creating CPG, virtual volumes, and exports)
• Testing – QA of builds
• Asset Management – ensuring assets are correctly recorded in CMDB
• Data Centre Support – Provide on-site DC support for all Client & Attenda solutions, using SupportWorks 7.3 From October 2011 to January 2012 (4 months) Senior IT Infrastructure Engineer @ - Support and monitor existing infrastructure
- 3rd/4th line break-fix
- Administration and support of VMWare environment (vSphere, 4.1)
- Administration and support of Citrix/Terminal Servers/Xenapp 6
- Administration and support of Netapp FAS 3050 & 3160 (FC/iSCSI/NFS/CIFS). Aggregate/vol/lun, and qtree creation and maintenance
Migration of data from old FAS to new Netapp FAS 3160
- Physical and virtual server builds (Windows 2003/2008)
- WSUS - server patching From July 2011 to October 2011 (4 months) London, United KingdomSenior Netapp Engineer @ This role is not very different from my previous visit here. My main objective is to perform a complete health
check of all filers, in production and DR. Running perfstat, nSANity, OnTapWinDC etc and various other tools, to capture information . Utilising DFM (Operations Manager) v3.8, to capture alerts and errors, and act accordingly. Creating custom alerts for Capacity Management team, SQL DBA team, and VMWare team. Deploying VM’s as and when necessary, creating the volumes, and qtrees accordingly, and installing SnapDrive 6.3, in order to create the Luns.
Upgrade current DFM to v4.0. Administration of CIFS, dedupe, LUN’s and qtree’s. Identifying bottlenecks, and recommending possible solutions, of both production and DR filers. One major piece of work was that of LUN miss-alignment ( 90% of the server estate) that had iSCSI luns, had this issue.
Analyse the CIFS share estate to perform Data analysis using NSS (Northern Storage Suite) and F5 Data
Manager, as well as Tree Size Pro. Identifying data in terms of capacity, and file types, as well as aged data.
Involved in the storage design for Exchange 2007 to 2010 upgrade. Liasing with Netapp for gathering storage
costs and best practice. From January 2011 to June 2011 (6 months) London, United KingdomSenior Storage Engineer @ Reporting directly to the Operations Team Leader, and ultimately the IT Director, I am responsible for all production and DR filers. Serving 1000+ users globally, my role is to maintain the storage environment, analyse the estate, document where necessary, and produce a technical operations guide for the Server Team.
Upgrade of DR site to Ontap 7.3.4, upgrade firmware (disks, RLM etc) Check and re-configure Snapmirrors. Attend to all DFM alerts, and advise on DFM server upgrade. P2V Operations Manager, and upgrade DFM to v4. Produce various reports to IT Director and Board of Directors, to justify the need for more storage. Plan and design addition of new storage to existing filer heads. Add HBA’s where appropriate, and multiptath them. Raising changes, and agreeing downtime with various departments. Working also, with the Server Infrastructure Team, to analyse current virtual environment, offer recommendations, and document where necessary. Help with the call queue using ITSM, ranging from NTFS permissions, group access, mapped drives, server & Netapp filer deployment to remote sites, etc. My major task is to convince the Board of Directors to buy more storage, as we are increasing at a rate of 40-50%, year on year. Produce reports on aged data, last modified date, and archive data as necessary onto cheap storage. Juggle with current shelves, to reduce data replication in DR, and utilise those shelves in Production. From November 2010 to January 2011 (3 months) Netapp Storage Consultant @ Currently working for this Investment Bank, as the only on-site, Netapp Consultant, I am responsible for maintaining, monitoring & supporting the Netapp infrastructure within the following divisions: Fixed Income, Finance, Equities, and Investment Banking. My role is to be proactive in: storage (capacity) management, filer performance using Performance Advisor within Netapp’s Management Console. Creating custom performance charts monitoring updates for bugs & fixes. General day-day maintenance (Snapshot and SnapMirror management), together with standard BAU support. Filer administration involving, aggregate/volume/and LUN management, together with iSCSI/NFS management. Involved in major projects like, Multi-pathing, high availability clustering, Moving Netapp kit to and from Data Centers, adding disk shelves, and patching and re-cabling. Participating in complete ‘site-to-site’ DR testing, and Power Down tests.
Actively integrating with Windows & Storage Engineering Team, involving, Active Directory, WINS/DNS, Windows 2008 and GPO’s, as well as stress testing various flavors of Netapp Family (code upgrades etc). Administration and troubleshooting of VMware ESX 3.5 and vSphere 4. From July 2010 to October 2010 (4 months) Data Storage & Virtual Infrastructure Engineer @ On site at Houses of Parliament, part of a 2-man team, responsible for the day-to-day support, operation & provisioning of the Storage estate. Complete administration and configuration of Netapp Filers ranging from FAS2030’s, FAS 3050’s and FAS6030’s. The environments I support are: Production & DR. There is also a Pre-Production environment, as well as a DEV/Test environment, all in a virtual infrastructure
The virtual environment consists of 24 hosts, hosting just over 200VM’s. There are ongoing plans for a P2V project, hence the large number of hosts. All VM’’s datastores are on the filers, and each server has separate NIC’s where they are connected to the filer via iSCSI.
Relevant volumes are created on the filer, together with the LUN’s and qtrees. Once created, the drives presented to the server using SnapDrive. SnapShots and SnapMirror are configured accordingly.
Netapp filer monitoring is done using Data Fabric Manager, Netapp Systems Manager. From February 2010 to July 2010 (6 months) Server Operations Engineer @ Here I am part of a 4-man team, working within the Server Operations team. Duties involved a mix of support and projects. Daily tasks included, checking backups, using Veritas Netbackup v6, EMC Replication manager, v5.0.2, and VCB. Tape Library is StorageTek SL500. Resolving server calls within Touchpaper. Checking all Tier 1 , 2 and 3 Terminal Servers.
Pathc Management using SMS 2003, creating MBSA reports, relevant packages and advertisements to be pushed out in waves. Managing the virtual environment (4 ESX hosts running VMWare ESX 3). Administration and management of Virtual Environment using VirtualCentre Server and VI3 Building VM’s for Departments, maintaining them and checking daily logs and performance. Hosts were Unisys ES7000 cells. Installing and configuring SCCM, and pushing SCOM agents to Server Estate. Updating BIOS and Dell OpenManage Server Administrator on all Dell Poweredge kit. Installing DRAC for Remote access. General server racking, builds, and patch management. Support and maintenance of Active Directory, Group policy., WINS, DNS, DHCP. General Exchange 2007 Administration and support. From March 2009 to January 2010 (11 months) Virtual Server and Storage Consultant @ Being an active team member of the Active Directory and Storage team, my primary role is to build clustered servers globally, across the BT sites. This involves RiLO configuration, then building and configuring the servers, from system BIOS configuration, ROM setup, & RAID configuration. Configuration of NIC’s (including iSCSI interfaces in order to see the NetApp filers), AV installation (ePO agent). Installation of R2, SP2, patches, MBSA, ResKit, Support tools, and SCOM (Systems Center Operations Manager). Installation and configuration of iSCSI Initiator. Installation and configuration of the cluster, Quorum disk, cluster resources, drive configuration, including local iSCSI disks, and final testing of cluster failover. Creation of relevant country OU’s within AD and creating and applying GPO’s.
NetApp FAS2020 installation and configuration. Initial CIFS/iSCSI head setup and configuration. Setup of SSH and SSl. NetApp CIFS setup configuration, entailing volume and quota limits. Setting up DFS Roots/links, and configuring Snapshots and Snapmirror, DR testing. Management of disks and aggregates, iSCSI volume configuration and iSCSI LUN configuration.
The virtual technology of choice is Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2, which sits on top of Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition. Configuring the Virtual Server ‘options.xml’ file, creating local and shared virtual networks, configuring SSL certification, configuring Virtual Server security, NIC bindings, cluster setup and DR strategy
The shared device is a NetApp FAS2020, which will house all the data (users’ home drives, and shared data)
Installation & configuration of VMWare ESX Server v3 & Virtual Infrastructure Client v2. Creating & administering guest virtual machines (snapshots, disk & virtual network management). From March 2008 to March 2009 (1 year 1 month) Server Support Specialist @ Working with the server team as well as the Omnia Team, my role was to monitor all Omnia servers (portals, DM servers, and index servers) all using Hummingbird DM etxentions. Monitoring and troubleshooting all scanning servers, globally. Applying all software patches and hotfixes in a production environment, prior to testing in a test lab environment. From July 2007 to January 2008 (7 months) Wintel Infrastructure Analyst @ Active Directory design, providing recommendation to Forest & DNS Namespace. Group Policies, NTFS shares/permissions over a Netapp storage environment.
NACA Certified (Network Appliance Storage Associate) - Participate in the support/troubleshooting of NAS environment (NetApp filers) – managing and planning capacity across existing filers, volume expansion, disk additions, redistribution of data, building and commissioning new filers. Scheduling of SnapMirror, SnapVault operations. Monitor Network Appliance backup systems, identifying and resolving NDMP issues. Experience in File Access protocols - NFS/CIFS administration. Understanding of Data Ontap 7G architecture including FlexVol & SnapShot, general SAN administration, and VFM (Virtual File Manager)
Providing 3rd line support within a Windows 2000/2003 environment including LDAP/DNS/WINS/DHCP/Citrix/SQL Server and various other technologies running on HP kit
From February 2007 to June 2007 (5 months) Server Support Specialist @ Server Support From July 2006 to January 2007 (7 months) AD Data Migration Specialist @ Ø As an Infrastructure Specialist, I was part of a major Global Decommissioning & Data Migration Project. Working closely with the Architect and Technical Lead, my role is to review, troubleshoot and advise on the process and procedures designed for the migration of the legacy NT4 environment to Windows 2000 & Windows 2003 Active Directory. The project incorporated over 5000 servers across EMEA, where my role was to analyse the legacy server and migrate users & groups and shared folders From October 2005 to July 2006 (10 months) Server Infrastructure Engineer @ Lloyds of London is currently progressing towards a stable environment. The aim is to provide an XP desktop and Windows 2003 server build that is future-proof and will reduce the total cost of Ownership of the desktop environment. My role is to design such a document, to include provision to install applications such as SQL, IIS, as well as providing recommendations to security and hardening policies. File system, registry and services settings will be applied through a local security template. Security settings will be applied through a Domain Group Policy. From September 2005 to October 2005 (2 months) Migration Specialist @ Ø As the Team Leader, I was involved in the Investigation, Planning and Process Development Work of a massive Data Centralisation Project (approx 30,000 users home drives onto 25TB). This project was part of SDP (Standard Desktop Programme), which entailed Active Directory (Domain Migration and Forest Upgrade), Deployment of Management Tools, and XP Desktop Rollout for 30,000 users, Exchange Upgrade. General Administration of NT4, Windows 2000/2003, Active Directory & Group Policies
Ø The Data Centralisation strategy was to migrate both User and Shared data from the Centrica estate, across the UK, onto a centralised storage infrastructure (NetApp Filers). Contribution to all aspects of a NAS-based storage technology, particularly with DFS integration, W2K3 Architecture, and namespace planning. All testing was performed on VMWare ESX/GSX. Quest Consolidator v5 was the server consolidation tool that supported this project, from planning, consolidation and ongoing data administratio From January 2005 to September 2005 (9 months) Migration Engineer @ Desktop and Application migration From 2004 to 2004 (less than a year) Server Support Analyst @ BAU Server Support From 1999 to 2000 (1 year)
BSc, Business Studies & Business Information Systems @ University of East London From 1989 to 1993 'O' Levels @ Old Swinford Hospital School From 1981 to 1987 Anil Patel is skilled in: VMware, VMware ESX, Servers, SAN, Citrix, Windows Server, VMware Infrastructure, Active Directory, Data Center, Microsoft Exchange, Storage, vSphere, DNS, NetApp, Group Policy
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension