A mining executive with 22 years of operational experience, from the Arctic to the equator, from large open pits to narrow vein undergrounds, from complex polymetallic base metal deposits and high grade gold reefs to bulk iron ore projects. Working in tough geographies with diverse people has taught me a thing or two, mining is not always
A mining executive with 22 years of operational experience, from the Arctic to the equator, from large open pits to narrow vein undergrounds, from complex polymetallic base metal deposits and high grade gold reefs to bulk iron ore projects. Working in tough geographies with diverse people has taught me a thing or two, mining is not always easy.
Colleagues know me as curious and engaging, systematic and questioning, I am the person who always asks why, why can't we get more with the same or the same with less, running efficient lean mining operations which maximise profitability by spending lots of time understanding the business is my trademark.
From mine construction and commissioning to operational set up, expansions, feasibility studies and technical assistance to sites, with qualifications in mine engineering, geology and mineral economics plus a first class mine managers certificate from Western Australia, working with people to generate ideas from which to plan and execute are the parts of my job I enjoy best.
General Manager - Tonkolili @ Tonkolili - 25Mtpa Iron Ore Operation in West Africa. 4000 employees. From November 2014 to Present (1 year 2 months) Sierra LeoneGeneral Manager - Kevitsa @ • Project Construction, Commissioning and Operation, on time on budget (Capital US$600M)
• Achieved commercial production 6 weeks after startup. Exceeded operational production
targets in first year and maintained profitability on extremely low head grades in low
commodity price cycle through dedication to efficiency and financial discipline.
• Accomplished Safety LTIFR of From December 2011 to July 2014 (2 years 8 months) FinlandPrincipal Mining Engineer @ Mergers and Acquisitions
Technical Projects. (completed US$500M DFS)(US$150M savings in mine optimisation)
• Negotiated large reductions in mine contract rates.
• Developed and implemented a holistic mine-mill optimisation process into LOM to maximize NPV. From January 2011 to December 2011 (1 year) Perth, AustraliaMining Manager @ • Project commissioning and operation, through 3 phase expansion from 2.7Mlbs to 5.2Mlbs/yr. First Uranium Mine in 20 years. (Capital >US$200M)
• Lead contract miner to become number 1 within their business, by developing leading and best
practice mine systems through relationship management.
• Government liaison at Ministerial level From September 2007 to December 2010 (3 years 4 months) NamibiaChief Geologist @ • Part of team that increased resource base >3M ozs @ < US$10/oz by methodical understanding and careful targeting of new geological structures.
• Part of team which successfully launched mine from 1Mtpa heap leach to 7Mtpa CIL plant
• Management of 3 drilling companies and large site Assay laboratory
• Responsible for 7 expatriate staff plus 300 national staff with US$20M annual budget
• Implemented best practice mine geology grade control system, resulting is substantial
reduction of mis-classification of ore/waste
• Key Learning: building capacity through relationships. Never give up From March 2006 to June 2007 (1 year 4 months) GuineaSenior Mining Engineer @ From January 2004 to March 2006 (2 years 3 months) GuineaUnderground Mine Operator @ From January 2003 to December 2003 (1 year) Senior Mine Geologist - Open Pit & Underground @ From February 2000 to February 2003 (3 years 1 month) Mine Geologist @ From October 1996 to February 2000 (3 years 5 months) Consulting Geologist @ From March 1993 to October 1996 (3 years 8 months)
First Class Mine Managers Certificate @ Dept of Minerals and Energy From 2003 to 2003 Postgraduate Diploma, Mining Engineering @ Curtin University From 1999 to 2002 Master's Degree, Mineral Economics @ Curtin University From 1995 to 1997 Graduate School of Business @ Curtin University From 1995 to 1996 Bachelor's Degree, Geology, Honours @ University of Wollongong From 1989 to 1992 Andrew Reid is skilled in: Mining, Gold, Management, Geology, Leadership, Start-ups, Mining Engineering, Drilling, Nickel, Feasibility Studies, Mergers & Acquisitions, Budgets, Commissioning, Construction, Environmental Impact Assessment
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension